Help me beat this ticket! : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > Anything Goes

Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
-cyclops-
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 89 Honda NX 125; K7 600 (sold); 03 SV650 crack pipe, er, track bike
Help me beat this ticket!

First off, I'm innocent. I wasn't being a dumb fucking squid. I know you jumped in here to flame, but too bad!

I have my court date on Dec. 18th and I'm hoping to get some advice on court procedures, what to ask the officer, etc.

Here's the story:
I was on a big group ride through the mountains (about 40 riders in all). We were at a gas station meeting up and then splitting off. We saw the officer drive though the gas station and we waved at him btw. I went with one friend onto the highway to head home. We were on the highway for about 20-30 minutes. 3 riders from the group then caught up to us. We were riding as a group of 5 for about 3-5 minutes when I saw the officer coming up fast. At the time he got right behind us we were in traffic doing about 65-75 in a 75. He was right on our ass running our plates. After about a minute he throws on his lights. The 3 of us furthest back get over into the right lane.

The two guys in front never noticed him and they sped up when traffic cleared. He chased them down and pulled one guy over and one took off. The three of us were still riding behind. The officer gets out of his car and runs into the highway (I thought he was going to get hit by a car honestly) to flag us to pull over. We all pull over. So now there are 4 of us pulled over.

He says that he was chasing us doing over 100. He also said he got cut off by a car at one point which I think helps my case because that would mean he would have to go even faster than us to catch us, but anyway. He gives all of us 100+ mph criminal speeding tickets. My friend and I had never been speeding and if he was chasing anyone it was the 3 guys that caught up to us.

Not only that, but out of the 40 or so guys in the group, I don't know how he could even positively identify me, especially since he never even witnessed me speeding.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on how to handle this, I would greatly appreciate it. That's a pretty heavy ticket that is based on pure bs.

Oh and the guy that "chased" us didn't even write the ticket. It was quittin' time so he called back up and that guy wrote the ticket. So the officer on the ticket never witnessed a thing except four guys sitting on the side of the highway.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS View Post
I'll take a Bud Light Lime or anything that comes with an orange slice.
-cyclops- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
spike52
"Will donate money to GDC for the cheap bastards who won't.. "

Motorcycle: 2011 1K....'04 Kawi 636 trackwhore
Re: Help me beat this ticket!

Why ask here?
I believe there's only one actual lawyer here.
Save yourself the time & call one.
spike52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
99gsxrman
!##NULL##!

should be an easy win. but im in canada might be different fight over here.

1st you need to get him to say that he had lost sight of you and your buddy, if he admits this then your off as he cant give you a fine for something he didnt see you do. ask him what color your bike is and how fast you and your other buddy were going, hell ask him what color your friends bike was. in canada all you have to do is give them a little doubt in the officers story to get off. basicaly think about all the things you can ask him when you know he wasnt able to see you. if he gives you an answer he is lying and try and pin that on him.
99gsxrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
le skid
!##NULL##!

Assuming it's the way you tell it, say he's mistaken, explain what you just told us and make him provide proof.

If he's nailing you when there are so many bikes to be confused with, he should be able to provide his dashcam footage, which all cops have nowadays.

Otherwise, the officer can make up anything he wants.
le skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
93goatfucker04
Sphincter Pincher

Motorcycle: 04 GSX-R 600

Thats exactly why you dont do group rides. The front two "didnt see him" and kept going with traffic then 10 seconds later try to get away. I think they knew their plan all along. No advice here besides dont ride with people you dont know well because youll get into shit like this

A group ride with 40 people I was on edge when I used to ride in a group of 4
93goatfucker04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
FalseAct
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R750

This REALLY depends on the judge. I personally would try and reschedule the court date as soon as they assign it. Not to try and pull any tricks... just to make sure you're not on the same day as the others.

Other than that - - pay the $50 and get a lawyer.
FalseAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
99gsxrman
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseAct View Post
This REALLY depends on the judge. I personally would try and reschedule the court date as soon as they assign it. Not to try and pull any tricks... just to make sure you're not on the same day as the others.

Other than that - - pay the $50 and get a lawyer.

you need a lawyer in the states to fight traffic tickets?
99gsxrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
FalseAct
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R750

Nope - but the deck is stacked against you. I've watched a few people defend themselves - the better prepared they were the tougher the judge was. The guy that barely spoke English and just promised he didn't do it was let off.
FalseAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Suzuki Duke
PM me for Brotection

Motorcycle: 01 996 & DRZ400 Motard

I suggest that you contact the producers of this show so we can all see the video

http://www.trutv.com/shows/speeders_...ack/index.html
Suzuki Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
GriffinD
...just like sex with Shane

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 750 (street), 2007 GSXR 750 (track)

What was the actual speeding amount he gave you on the ticket?? 100mph?? That's only 25 over the posted speed limit of 75 which, honestly, isn't that bad.

Lawyer up, pay the fee, & move on. Like it was said above, reschedule & postpone as long as you can......
GriffinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
-cyclops-
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike52 View Post
Why ask here?
I believe there's only one actual lawyer here.
Save yourself the time & call one.
I talked to a lawyer and he wanted $2500. I can't do that.

My court date is on the same day as the other two guys that pulled over with me. I'm not sure if that would help or hurt my case. If the judge sees that the officer had no proof for their ticket then it seems like mine would be the same.

And yes, fuck group rides. No more.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
-cyclops-
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinD View Post
What was the actual speeding amount he gave you on the ticket?? 100mph?? That's only 25 over the posted speed limit of 75 which, honestly, isn't that bad.

Lawyer up, pay the fee, & move on. Like it was said above, reschedule & postpone as long as you can......
I believe it says 100+ on the ticket. But even though it's only 25 over it's a criminal speeding ticket, which is the worst you can get. So it is bad.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
spike52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~cyclops~ View Post

My court date is on the same day as the other two guys that pulled over with me. I'm not sure if that would help or hurt my case. If the judge sees that the officer had no proof for their ticket then it seems like mine would be the same.

What statute # is on the ticket?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
-cyclops-
Club Racer

Quote:
What statute # is on the ticket?
I don't know. I'll check it out when I get home. Is that what tells what I got the ticket for?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Vooduguru
Giant Vespa

Motorcycle: K1 TLR, 99 SRAD600

Was anyone equipped with a Go-Pro? That may be your only defense. In most traffic cases...Cop says you did it, you done it.
Vooduguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2

Split the lawyer fees with the other riders? Can you all use the same lawyer?
600k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

Quote:

Public defender if you can't afford the $2500. You will still have to pay out some money but no where near $2500. But before court starts, try and talk to the prosecutor and explain things to him and what his intentions are on the case. If he won't budge then request a public defender once you are called up to the judge.
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
spike52

Quote:
I don't know. I'll check it out when I get home. Is that what tells what I got the ticket for?
Yes.
You can also call the court clerk and inquire what the fine is.
I suggest at least calling a lawyer, you mentioned it was a "criminal ticket". I'm not familiar with AZ law, but the last thing you want is a misdemeanor on your record.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

Quote:
Yes.
You can also call the court clerk and inquire what the fine is.
I suggest at least calling a lawyer, you mentioned it was a "criminal ticket". I'm not familiar with AZ law, but the last thing you want is a misdemeanor on your record.
Yeah I couldn't imagine having a PDP offense for doing 25mph over.
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
GriffinD
...just like sex with Shane

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 750 (street), 2007 GSXR 750 (track)

Quote:
I believe it says 100+ on the ticket. But even though it's only 25 over it's a criminal speeding ticket, which is the worst you can get. So it is bad.
I had the same thing last year except mine was a 103 in a 55. It's considered criminal here as well. I hired a criminal lawyer & he did all the work for me. ($500 for the lawyer)

100% lawyer up though. That would be the first thing I'd do if I was you. Also, try to postpone the date at least once if you can - hopefully the officer will show only once for the other guys & not the 2nd time for your date.
GriffinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement