Cracked Stator Cover : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 11-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
MAMiller44
Squid

Motorcycle: '09 GSX-R 750
Unhappy Cracked Stator Cover

So my stator cover has a small crack in it that's slowly leaking oil. And this is basically a two part question:

1) Anyone know where to get a decently priced replacement? All the OEM ones I can find online are around $200+ new. I don't want any fancy chrome, just black like the stock one. Anyone gotten a reliable one on eBay that they want to shoot me a link to?

2) When replacing it, I don't need to drain my oil right? As long as my bike is on a rear stand not too much oil should come out upon removing the cover I'm guessing? I just changed my oil about 400 miles ago so if I don't have to change it again I don't want to. haha

By the way...yes I know to replace the gasket too. I know that was coming from half the responses.
MAMiller44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Islandtsi
Rookie

Motorcycle: K9 750
Re: Cracked Stator Cover

Just buy an oem one from cheapcycleparts or a similar online vendor. No need to drain oil, I would lean the bike against a wall rather than use the rear stand, you will get some leakage but nothing serious
Islandtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
MAMiller44
Squid

That's where I looked first but it's $200 for an OEM. =/
Old 11-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
oldgixxer
Loves to nibble on Shannons huge boobs

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Get your Red R and make a post in the Classified section...
oldgixxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Tater Tot Wee Woo
I am a tater tot; young, not stout. Here is my baby face whoa did a pube just sprout?

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMiller44 View Post
So my stator cover has a small crack in it that's slowly leaking oil. And this is basically a two part question:

1) Anyone know where to get a decently priced replacement? All the OEM ones I can find online are around $200+ new. I don't want any fancy chrome, just black like the stock one. Anyone gotten a reliable one on eBay that they want to shoot me a link to?

2) When replacing it, I don't need to drain my oil right? As long as my bike is on a rear stand not too much oil should come out upon removing the cover I'm guessing? I just changed my oil about 400 miles ago so if I don't have to change it again I don't want to. haha

By the way...yes I know to replace the gasket too. I know that was coming from half the responses.
You're going to be buying an important piece for your engine. You do not want to go cheap on this, you will just risk it biting you in the future, especially if you go down on it. You're motor will be fucked.

1) at the very lest, get OEM. I would highly suggest shelling out for the Woodcraft cover if you can. The quality is much better than OEM and if you go down, it will better protect your motor and likely won't break open and shoot a bunch of debris inside.

2)You don't HAVE to drain your oil. If it's not on a stand it's going to be a pain in the ass. If you wanna avoid draining/losing oil, you can lay the bike up against something on its side so that the cover is facing up more. If you're worried about that and are too cheap to replace the oil, just drain it and save it.

3) If you get a new one, it's likely it will come with a new gasket.

Buy your parts from MotoMummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS View Post
I'll have to back Steven up here - considering my bedroom at Casa de oo ies is next to the room he was staying in and not quite soundproof...
Tater Tot Wee Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
SVS
drunk texts OG and Oldfart

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

As long as you lean the bike to the right about as much as it leans to the left on the sidestand, you won't get any oil leak save the few drops that might be on the parts. Fold the mirror in, turn the bars all the way to the left and put a rag between the right bar end and a wall.
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Kyrol
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2012 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMiller44 View Post
That's where I looked first but it's $200 for an OEM. =/
http://www.shspowersports.com/fiche_...009&fveh=28482

$161.56 little cheaper.
Kyrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
TAgsxr1k
Rookie

Motorcycle: TAgsxr1k

+1 on woodcraft $$$well spent
TAgsxr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
MacBayne
hand-eye coordinator

Motorcycle: K6-600

don't get OEM. if you need to replace the thing, go get a woodcraft cover. sure it is more expensive than a used OEM, but the benefits are many. i have crashed my woodcraft covers and it merely scuffs the slider, not spilling oil through a blown cover.

Last edited by MacBayne; 11-25-2012 at 09:16 PM.
MacBayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
jahlov420
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr 600

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
jahlov420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
Zlow28
16.8@186.1

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600

How about this one from STG?

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=15556

It says it bolts on to the cover, but it kinda looks like it replaces the whole thing in the video review. Maybe jason can chime in?

On another note, i used jb weld to hold my cracked cover together until i bought a replacement part, but ive been procrastinating, and its held up quite well since. Just a temporary solution.
Zlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
nitrous36
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"

Motorcycle: K4 GSXR 600

I know its been said many times, but woodcraft motomummy.
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
MAMiller44
Squid

The woodcraft is sexy but I'm Jewish. Literally and cheaply.
Found a lightly used but flawless one on eBay for $70. Picked up a new gasket for $8. Case closed. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement