Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk > Riding Gear/Apparel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
jdubgixxer
Back Marker
 
jdubgixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

I am thinking about buying the icon airframe helmet and was wondering if anyone has it and how they like it. It got great reviews
jdubgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
-cyclops-
Club Racer
 
-cyclops-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: PHX
Motorcycle: 89 Honda NX 125; K7 600 (sold); 03 SV650 crack pipe, er, track bike
Posts: 2,265
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

I had an icon domain II for a few months. Pretty similar to an airframe. It was comfortable but when doing head checks on the highway the top vents caught way too much wind. I got rid of it and got a Suomy and was much happier. The Suomy was way lighter and more aerodynamic. There are better choices than an Icon IMO.
-cyclops- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
K3Gixx
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as in rooster. Which might be even worse. And takes more duct tape to avoid a damn mess. Has lead to interesting nights.
 
K3Gixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,291
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

Great reviews? Must be a lot of squids with time on their hands.

Icon is SHIT. And not even shit at a cheap price, which would mean there's a reason to buy one. But shit at a price that could get you into a premium helmet. A helmet that actually protects, is half the weight, flows much more air, and has more options.

Look at Bell, Shoei, Arai, Shark, AGV and you know you have a quality helmet. Forget that trendy Icon crap. There's a reason you have never seen a MotoGP rider wearing Icon....

Go to sportbiketrackgear.com and look through these brands. Then watch the videos on each page and learn what makes a good helmet. Plus they are running a big sale right now, heck even a couple $600 helmets for $300, so there's no excuse that justifies buying a crap Icon when you could wear a top of the line Bell Star for the same money.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
its not hard to draw a penis on a box.
K3 Gixxer 600 custom F117A Stealth Fighter themed
'07 Victory Hammer S Sunset Red & Black
'12 Ducati Diavel Carbon - Red

2012 Harley-Davidson FLTRX Road Glide Custom, Black Denim
K3Gixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
jdubgixxer
Back Marker
 
jdubgixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Scorpion exo 750 is supposed to be a good helmet
jdubgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
oldfart01
GdC Camp Counselor
 
oldfart01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000
Posts: 16,291
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3Gixx View Post
Great reviews? Must be a lot of squids with time on their hands.

Icon is SHIT. And not even shit at a cheap price, which would mean there's a reason to buy one. But shit at a price that could get you into a premium helmet. A helmet that actually protects, is half the weight, flows much more air, and has more options.

Look at Bell, Shoei, Arai, Shark, AGV and you know you have a quality helmet. Forget that trendy Icon crap. There's a reason you have never seen a MotoGP rider wearing Icon....

Go to sportbiketrackgear.com and look through these brands. Then watch the videos on each page and learn what makes a good helmet. Plus they are running a big sale right now, heck even a couple $600 helmets for $300, so there's no excuse that justifies buying a crap Icon when you could wear a top of the line Bell Star for the same money.
So..... you like Icon helmets or not?
oldfart01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
le skid
!##NULL##!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 2,014
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

They do make cool / funny commercials

that's the only valid opinion I have about Icon
le skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Jason@STG
Official Platinum Sponsor

 
Jason@STG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Utica, MI
Motorcycle: 05 750
Posts: 2,585
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubgixxer View Post
Scorpion exo 750 is supposed to be a good helmet
That's literally one of the most obscure helmets from Scorpion. I like the helmet a lot but what drew you to it?

It only has a few graphics and basically it's the Exo-700 with pump up cheek pads.

Good helmet, just not the helmet I'd expect someone to be looking at after considering an Airframe.
Jason@STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
99gsxrman
!##NULL##!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

i have a scorpion helmet actually two of them, idiot coworker drove over my first one haha. i love them and there not that expensive
99gsxrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Pee Wee Herman
AKA 1/4milecrazy
 
Pee Wee Herman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Summit NJ
Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600
Posts: 5,830
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

I have an Airframe, I can honestly say it is a good helmet.

Obviously K3gixx has never ridden in one.

Mine flows a ton of air, is very stable at high speeds, it is not as light as other helmets but it is not a tank either. The removable liner is nice.

Not the best helmet out there, never crashed it so I cant say whether or not it will protect me in a crash. I hope I never have to.

A lot of ICON haters, mainly because they just dont like their image and they go by what everyone else says.

Would I race in it? No. I am buying a Bell Star to replace my Shoei that I recently crashed. But IMHO the Icon is a decent helmet.

I will say, the clear visor that is included with it has one of the BEST anti-fogging coatings I have ever used, hands down. The tinted one I bought for it is not as good.


And before anyone runs their mouth. I have owned many different helmets over the years, Aria, Shoei, Bell and ICON plus probably a couple more I am forgetting. Also I would never wear a Scorpion helmet, I tried one on and had a headache for 5 minutes after, most uncomfortable helmet I ever had on. Maybe it was due to my head shape. but everything about them feels cheap. I have a Bilt helmet that I keep at work for test rides and that even feels better than the Scorpion did.
__________________
Rich
CCS AM #795
T 1:35.38/L 1:14.06
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerVixxen View Post
Mine might be an innie, but I promise you you don't want to get into a dick measuring contest with me, son. I'll win.
Pee Wee Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
K3Gixx
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as in rooster. Which might be even worse. And takes more duct tape to avoid a damn mess. Has lead to interesting nights.
 
K3Gixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,291
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I have an Airframe, I can honestly say it is a good helmet.

Obviously K3gixx has never ridden in one.

Mine flows a ton of air, is very stable at high speeds, it is not as light as other helmets but it is not a tank either. The removable liner is nice.

Not the best helmet out there, never crashed it so I cant say whether or not it will protect me in a crash. I hope I never have to.

A lot of ICON haters, mainly because they just dont like their image and they go by what everyone else says.

Would I race in it? No. I am buying a Bell Star to replace my Shoei that I recently crashed. But IMHO the Icon is a decent helmet.

I will say, the clear visor that is included with it has one of the BEST anti-fogging coatings I have ever used, hands down. The tinted one I bought for it is not as good.


And before anyone runs their mouth. I have owned many different helmets over the years, Aria, Shoei, Bell and ICON plus probably a couple more I am forgetting. Also I would never wear a Scorpion helmet, I tried one on and had a headache for 5 minutes after, most uncomfortable helmet I ever had on. Maybe it was due to my head shape. but everything about them feels cheap. I have a Bilt helmet that I keep at work for test rides and that even feels better than the Scorpion did.

That's cool that you like your Airframe, but can you honestly say that at the same price... you'd buy an Airframe again over a Shoei RF-1100 or a Bell Star (while STG has a couple Stars on sale at about the same price)???

I don't think you would...
K3Gixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Pee Wee Herman
AKA 1/4milecrazy
 
Pee Wee Herman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Summit NJ
Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600
Posts: 5,830
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

No, that would be foolish, but at the time I bought my Airframe, it was an amazing deal, it was cheaper than the RF1100, and the star was not around.

Would I buy one again? If the price was right yes. But more than likely, especially now, you can get a better helmet for around the same money.

That is not what he is asking, maybe he found a used one someone is gonna sell him for $50. If it is not crashed in then that is a great deal on a decent helmet. I wouldnt pay that for a used HJC (RPS-10 excluded) or Scorpion though.
__________________
Rich
CCS AM #795
T 1:35.38/L 1:14.06
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerVixxen View Post
Mine might be an innie, but I promise you you don't want to get into a dick measuring contest with me, son. I'll win.
Pee Wee Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
jdubgixxer
Back Marker
 
jdubgixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
ImageUploadedByMO Free1353362214.118517.jpg

I like this got good reviews what helmet do you recommend for around $250
jdubgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Pee Wee Herman
AKA 1/4milecrazy
 
Pee Wee Herman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Summit NJ
Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600
Posts: 5,830
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubgixxer View Post

I like this got good reviews what helmet do you recommend for around $250
Call up Jason at Sportbiketrackgear. 1-888-784-4327 Extension 210.
Tell him you are a member here, but dont tell him I told you to call, he might send you a little something "extra" in your box.

Tell him how much you want to spend and prepare to be amazed. He will get you the best helmet he can for the money you are looking to spend.


I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed.
Pee Wee Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
oldfart01
GdC Camp Counselor
 
oldfart01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000
Posts: 16,291
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I have an Airframe, I can honestly say it is a good helmet & it looks really cool with my ballistic vest that I wear with no shirt. My helmet mohawk fits perfect on it. I am the bomb!

And before anyone runs their mouth. I have probably been on more naked camping trips with my Icon gear than all of you guys combined!
To each their own I guess.
oldfart01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
K3Gixx
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as in rooster. Which might be even worse. And takes more duct tape to avoid a damn mess. Has lead to interesting nights.
 
K3Gixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,291
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
Call up Jason at Sportbiketrackgear. 1-888-784-4327 Extension 210.
Tell him you are a member here, but dont tell him I told you to call, he might send you a little something "extra" in your box.

Tell him how much you want to spend and prepare to be amazed. He will get you the best helmet he can for the money you are looking to spend.


I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed.
This ^


And at oldfart's comment...
K3Gixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
JetBlast
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
 
JetBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 11,616
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

i test fit an airframe once. i didnt like the fitment. it felt tight even when i went up a size.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
K3Gixx
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as in rooster. Which might be even worse. And takes more duct tape to avoid a damn mess. Has lead to interesting nights.
 
K3Gixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,291
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
i test fit an airframe once. i didnt like the fitment. it felt tight even when i went up a size.
Was it a while back? You should try it again.

Only because you had a big swelled head when you had the RC8....


K3Gixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #18
oldfart01
GdC Camp Counselor
 
oldfart01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000
Posts: 16,291
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3Gixx View Post
Was it a while back? You should try it again.

Only because you had a big swelled head when you had the RC8....


oldfart01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #19
Pee Wee Herman
AKA 1/4milecrazy
 
Pee Wee Herman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Summit NJ
Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600
Posts: 5,830
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
To each their own I guess.
I thought you weren't gonna tell anyone.
Pee Wee Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #20
oldfart01
GdC Camp Counselor
 
oldfart01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000
Posts: 16,291
Re: Anybody have the icon airframe helmet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I thought you weren't gonna tell anyone.
Sorry, I forgot all that stuff was secret.
oldfart01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008 — 2013 Gixxer.com
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum