SS Motor Build Pro's/Con's : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 10-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

SS Motor Build Pro's/Con's

This is especially for all you racers and trackaddicts as well as shops out there:

I am curious as to what the pro's and con's are to a SuperSport Engine Build? I am mainly talking in terms of reliability, HP gains, mapping, frquency of refreshes, cost of repair, cost in general, etc, etc. Just throw out what the Pro's and Con's are.

I am looking at buying a bike that has a supersport build by Markbilt, but would like to know if itd be worth it. I will be racing as well as attending many trackdays. My main concern is if it will be able to go a full race season + trackdays without a refresh. Here is what is in the build im looking at:

(per the guy im commincating w/ about his bike):

This was a super sport build which is typically the following.
Remove cylinder head
Measure squish (piston to head clearance)
Clean combustion chamber
Disassemble cylinder head
Inspect/prep valves
Inspect valve seats
Check valve spring pressures
Set cam journal clearance
Machine gasket surface
Clean/prep piston crowns and cylinder deck surface
Reassemble head and install
Slot cam sprockets or install cam adaptors
Check and adjust valve clearances to spec
Degree cams to spec
Install racing spark plugs

Any and all advice welcome. If im being an idiot considering a bike like this for trackdays AND racing on a budget PLEASE tell me. haha
It just seemed like a pretty good deal( '06GSXR w/ alot of goodies and a ss motor for under $5k)
CCS-#418......Best Lap: VIR N-1.40.8 NJMP-? Summit-1.21.0 Roebling- ?CMP-?

Support: Lingo Networks, Sharkskinz, No Agenda Racing, DC-MOTO.NET, AMSOIL, Leo Vince
!ThatGuy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
wisegunner
Rookie

Motorcycle: CBR1000rr '06(sold), GSXR600 K7
Re: SS Motor Build Pro's/Con's

How many hours on the engine? And, I guess, how much are they trying to squeeze out of the 600 engine?
wisegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
wisegunner
Rookie

What are the goodies? Those might be a deal maker. For me, I'd like to buy a bike for the track that someone else paid for.
$5K is a good price on a bike with exhaust, levers, race plastic, etc...
Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

He said 3 race weekends on the motor and its getting approx 115RWHP on an Eddy Current Dyno. I really dont even know what questions to ask they guy. So bring it on. More info yall give the better off I am.

the goodies include:
• Keyless ignition
• Traxxion extended Showa fork caps
• Penske double clicker shock also worked by Traxxion
• Full Ti Leo Vince
• PCIII and PC Ign Module with Markbilt map
• PC Quick shift in GP pattern
• SS lines front
• Vortex Clips ons
• Vortex Rear sets
• Vortex case covers
and more, just didnt feel like listing every tiny bit

I mean it would almost be worht it to just buy the bike based on the goodies alone! Fuck the motor. If it blows up I can replace it for approx $5-800. LOL

Support: Lingo Networks, Sharkskinz, No Agenda Racing, DC-MOTO.NET, AMSOIL, Leo Vince
Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Islandtsi
Rookie

Motorcycle: K9 750

Sounds to me that the engine was just blueprinted. Maybe raised compression a bit if they milled the deck. If that is all they did, then it should last as long or longer than any engine out of the factory.

Edit - In my opinion and actual engine build would include porting/honing, cams, raised compression and possibly lighter/stronger rods and pistons etc.
Islandtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtsi View Post
Sounds to me that the engine was just blueprinted. Maybe raised compression a bit if they milled the deck. If that is all they did, then it should last as long or longer than any engine out of the factory.

Edit - In my opinion and actual engine build would include porting/honing, cams, raised compression and possibly lighter/stronger rods and pistons etc.
would all that be supersport legal though?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Shaman
Rookie

Motorcycle: Three GSX-R 1000s, Tuono, KX450F

That engine is really mild. If the parts and labour are good... it's probably going to be as reliable as stock. It sounds blueprinted and maybe has the race kit head gasket. My 600 makes 127whp.
Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Islandtsi
Rookie

Motorcycle: K9 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
would all that be supersport legal though?
Good question. Supersport legal for what sanctioning body? I'm not familiar with wera or ama so someone else will have to chime in.
Islandtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
That engine is really mild. If the parts and labour are good... it's probably going to be as reliable as stock. It sounds blueprinted and maybe has the race kit head gasket. My 600 makes 127whp.
OK, very good news. All parts and labor are on the up and up. Markbilt is a very reputible shop in this area of the world. See link--> http://www.markbiltracebikes.com/Markbilt/About_Us.html I didnt want an extremely built up motor for reliability reasons. But squeezing a few extra ponies never hurts. Thanks Out of curiosity, how often do you have to refresh your engine with the 127whp? Is it expensive to do so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtsi View Post
Good question. Supersport legal for what sanctioning body? I'm not familiar with wera or ama so someone else will have to chime in.
SS legal for CCS and/or WERA. CCS over WERA though. They have more events in my immediate area
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
wisegunner
Rookie

Dude, I'd buy it.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

I really think I am. I just want to cross my T's and dot my I's on this motor build first. Dont want to walk into a disaster as funds are limited. But it sounds more and more like this is a steal.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
wisegunner
Rookie

Pics when you can? I am excited!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

No pics yet, but promise I will post once I can
Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
wisegunner
Rookie

Good. I might do the same thing when I can, as turning a bike into a track bitch is way more expensive than buying one.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
Shaman
Rookie

Motorcycle: Three GSX-R 1000s, Tuono, KX450F

Dude, that motor is a slightly decked head and degreed cams.

The motor in mine has aftermarket cams (not sure what yet, but build sheet is coming), head work and more.

On MR12 it would make about 130whp.

Anyway, it needs to have the top end freshened every season to be safe... realistically it will probably be every two seasons. That's about 12 full day events a year, but I have the 1000 to play with as well on the faster tracks.
Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Dude, that motor is a slightly decked head and degreed cams.

The motor in mine has aftermarket cams (not sure what yet, but build sheet is coming), head work and more.

On MR12 it would make about 130whp.

Anyway, it needs to have the top end freshened every season to be safe... realistically it will probably be every two seasons. That's about 12 full day events a year, but I have the 1000 to play with as well on the faster tracks.
Hmm, ok so mine could prob get away with more time between refreshes considering it sounds like there was barely anything done to it and I will most likely run slightly over 7 full event race days and about 5-8 track days. The guy I might be buying it from said he is looking for the receipts for the build now. Hopefully that will shed more light on the situation. However, I would def want to do a refresh after every season anyways.

How much do refreshes usually run?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

More HP does not a better rider make. It just means you'll have to keep a closer eye on your motor.

You've only done like 2 track days right> Keep at in on the SV and gain further experience. The fast you get on that SV the faster you'll be overall.
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #18
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
More HP does not a better rider make. It just means you'll have to keep a closer eye on your motor.

You've only done like 2 track days right> Keep at in on the SV and gain further experience. The fast you get on that SV the faster you'll be overall.

I am keeping the SV as well. Contemplating on racing the SV for a year or racing a 600 my first year. I keep weighing the pro's and con's of jumping to a 600 right away for racing vs staying on the SV.

I know that if I stay on the SV I will def learn how to be quicker without using HP as a crutch. But it would be nice to get over 120mph on the straights sometimes... The way I see it, its not like Im jumping to a 1000. Its just a 600, which is practically a SV with more top end and less torque.

But IDK. Im just itching to go faster overall and have more options for races in a bigger field....bad idea, good idea? More input the better.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Sorry, 3 track days.

Get there first and then figure it out, you are thinking a little backwards still. Get into advanced group, get comfortable with the pace and the passing rules. Your mindset/priorities will change as your skill level improves. Make that your priority, not scoping out and buying bikes to race in classes that you're not yet qualified to compete in. Unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket that you have no better use for.

After you've got your race license and maybe tried out a few GP Moto races that TPM does on for size then you can figure things out better. You're looking way too far ahead, concentrate on what you need to get done first in the short term.

CCS AM #478
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #20
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

True. I do tend to get ahead of myself over stuff I am really into.

I do have cash burning a hole in my pocket, but......I suppose I could use that money for a full year of trackdays and novice racing if I keep my SV. I just know that I will want to upgrade to a 600 eventually and I have the money for it now. IDK if I will have that same $$ by next year.

Overall though, the smart route would be to just keep riding the SV, get to blue group, attend a race school, do a few TPM races, AND THEN see if Im ready to step up to a I4 600.

EDIT: Yall have to remember though that my goal (whether yall think it is attainable or not, idc. this has been hashed out before in a diff thread and im not changing my mind ) is to get to AMA racing as quickly as possible. I would think (I may be wrong) that racing a 600 right off the bat would help the cause in that respect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement