07 GSX-R600 from NY : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > The Starting Line< =======

Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Roachrolla
Squid

07 GSX-R600 from NY

Hey all,
I've been looking around and this seems like a good place to learn about bikes. I bought this GSX-R from a friend in December of last year and have been riding it since then. I went down due to gravel on a exit of the Belt back in June and was very tempted to sell the bike and move on. My confidence was shaken. But something told me to fix it, get back onto it and learn to become a better rider...Looking forward to obtaining some good information and seeing what this place is all about.
-Mike

Roachrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

Motorcycle: Kawasaki ZX9R
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Gravel

How long you been riding?
cainyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
oldgixxer
Loves to nibble on Shannons huge boobs

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Fuckin gravvy strikes again
oldgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Roachrolla
Squid

Let me start off by saying that I should've started with a 250. Only been riding since last year. Here's the story: I was in center lane of highway, friend motions for me to exit a exit earlier than we are supposed to (he's in the right lane). Exit was right there so I cut into the right lane, then the exit lane and saw that the curve was coming. Apparently, I panicked a little because I didn't think I could make the curve and decided to bring the bike straight back up and come to a stop at the split between the right lane and exit lane. I must've hit the rear brake b/c next thing I know I'm riding on gravel and feel the bike swinging right then left, followed by me being throw off of it and landing on my head. I think I flew off at about 30-40 mph, not sure though.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
jesusgixxer750
Squid

Motorcycle: 2007 suzuki 750
Nice bike I'm from Brooklyn to it's crazy how its full of gravel and pot holes smh
jesusgixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Minibull
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché

Motorcycle: 1998 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Fuckin gravvy strikes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachrolla View Post
Let me start off by saying that I should've started with a 250. Only been riding since last year. Here's the story: I was in center lane of highway, friend motions for me to exit a exit earlier than we are supposed to (he's in the right lane). Exit was right there so I cut into the right lane, then the exit lane and saw that the curve was coming. Apparently, I panicked a little because I didn't think I could make the curve and decided to bring the bike straight back up and come to a stop at the split between the right lane and exit lane. I must've hit the rear brake b/c next thing I know I'm riding on gravel and feel the bike swinging right then left, followed by me being throw off of it and landing on my head. I think I flew off at about 30-40 mph, not sure though.
Yeah, so the key thing here seems to be..........it's not gravel....it's panicing over a simple corner...and also having no clue as to doing a panic stop...

And the point of a smaller bike to start off with comes into play here, as the parts to repair the bike would be a whole lot cheaper, and crashed small learner bikes still tend to hold a fair bit of value...hey ho
Minibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Roachrolla
Squid

yeah the potholes suck. surrounded by them :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibull View Post

Yeah, so the key thing here seems to be..........it's not gravel....it's panicing over a simple corner...and also having no clue as to doing a panic stop...

And the point of a smaller bike to start off with comes into play here, as the parts to repair the bike would be a whole lot cheaper, and crashed small learner bikes still tend to hold a fair bit of value...hey ho
that's exactly what happened, i saw the curve and froze for that one second and it all went downhill from there. I noticed I've been on the verge of freezing multiple times since the crash and I've been trying to get myself to stop doing that. I feel like I'm going into turns/curves "too fast" and stare straight ahead but I've been able to get myself to just snap out of it and look through the turn and make it rather easily (i gotta watch/read twist of the wrist II again)...i had to get a new stator cover, shifter, mirror, windscreen, frame slider, rear left fender etc. But it was good experience learning to replace all this stuff.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
oldgixxer
Loves to nibble on Shannons huge boobs

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibull View Post

Thats gravy.I said gravvy...short for gravel
oldgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Cassidy
Rookie

Motorcycle: K9 750
Quote:
Gravvy = 6 Letters, Gravel = 6 letters

Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

Motorcycle: Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote:
I said gravvy...short for gravel
cainyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Samantha750

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM

Quote:
Umm, if you say so then sure, gravvy is short for gravel. Both have six letters so not sure how it's short(er) but uh-huh.

Samantha750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Cassidy
Rookie

Motorcycle: K9 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samschou View Post
Umm, if you say so then sure, gravvy is short for gravel. Both have six letters so not sure how it's short(er) but uh-huh.

Don't try to steal my thunder!!!
Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
Roachrolla
Squid

Hey guys,
Past few times I've taken the bike out and it has died on me while on the road. I notice the lights dimming/flickering, the gauges are all wrong, and then it just shuts down and I can't start it back up. The battery is new and no fuses are blown. I've charged it back up and the same thing will happen within an hour. I've also smelled a burning smell in the past few weeks of riding and more recently, a "whirring" noise coming from the front left of the bike where the rectifier is. After doing some research, I feel that the likely culprits could be the stator or rectifier. I removed the recitifer this morning and attached some pics below but see no noticaeble damage to the unit or wiring. I should have tested everything with a multimeter but didn't have access to one at the time...
Questions, are those two wires "protruding" from the back of the rectifier normal? And can a rectifier make noise when going bad? I'm about to buy a new one one online so I can get back on the road. Thanks in advance

Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
MeanFastmachine1980
Squid

Motorcycle: k5 Gsxr1000

Nice bike man ! I'm from Baldwin Long Island .
MeanFastmachine1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
obc
Club Racer

welcome roachrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanFastmachine1980 View Post
so sorry to hear that.
obc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Samantha750

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachrolla View Post
Hey guys,
Past few times I've taken the bike out and it has died on me while on the road. I notice the lights dimming/flickering, the gauges are all wrong, and then it just shuts down and I can't start it back up. The battery is new and no fuses are blown. I've charged it back up and the same thing will happen within an hour. I've also smelled a burning smell in the past few weeks of riding and more recently, a "whirring" noise coming from the front left of the bike where the rectifier is. After doing some research, I feel that the likely culprits could be the stator or rectifier. I removed the recitifer this morning and attached some pics below but see no noticaeble damage to the unit or wiring. I should have tested everything with a multimeter but didn't have access to one at the time...
Questions, are those two wires "protruding" from the back of the rectifier normal? And can a rectifier make noise when going bad? I'm about to buy a new one one online so I can get back on the road. Thanks in advance
I would highly recommend relocating the rectifier or it will go out again. Use the search function for how-to threads.
Samantha750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

They really should ban the use of gravel one of these days.
Ironhead401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
Roachrolla
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samschou View Post
I would highly recommend relocating the rectifier or it will go out again. Use the search function for how-to threads.
yeah i looked at a couple of threads on how to do that. will look into it.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #19
GS220
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 1k, 07 CRF 450r

Anywhere in NYC is not a good place to ride a sportbike.
GS220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
GriffinD
...just like sex with Shane

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 750 (street), 2007 GSXR 750 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanFastmachine1980 View Post
Howdy neighbor. RVC here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS220 View Post
Anywhere in NYC is not a good place to ride a sportbike.
Plus juan. Typically, people (other than that of a squidly variety) get out of NYC to ride
GriffinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement