07 GSX-R600 from NY : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > The Starting Line< =======

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Roachrolla
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
07 GSX-R600 from NY

Hey all,
I've been looking around and this seems like a good place to learn about bikes. I bought this GSX-R from a friend in December of last year and have been riding it since then. I went down due to gravel on a exit of the Belt back in June and was very tempted to sell the bike and move on. My confidence was shaken. But something told me to fix it, get back onto it and learn to become a better rider...Looking forward to obtaining some good information and seeing what this place is all about.
-Mike




Roachrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: manchester, UK
Motorcycle: Kawasaki ZX9R
Posts: 3,468
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Gravel

How long you been riding?
cainyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
oldgixxer
Loves to nibble on Shannons huge boobs
 
oldgixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Orange County,N.Y.
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Posts: 15,097
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Fuckin gravvy strikes again
oldgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Roachrolla
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Let me start off by saying that I should've started with a 250. Only been riding since last year. Here's the story: I was in center lane of highway, friend motions for me to exit a exit earlier than we are supposed to (he's in the right lane). Exit was right there so I cut into the right lane, then the exit lane and saw that the curve was coming. Apparently, I panicked a little because I didn't think I could make the curve and decided to bring the bike straight back up and come to a stop at the split between the right lane and exit lane. I must've hit the rear brake b/c next thing I know I'm riding on gravel and feel the bike swinging right then left, followed by me being throw off of it and landing on my head. I think I flew off at about 30-40 mph, not sure though.
Roachrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
jesusgixxer750
Squid
 
jesusgixxer750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: brooklyn ny
Motorcycle: 2007 suzuki 750
Posts: 17
Nice bike I'm from Brooklyn to it's crazy how its full of gravel and pot holes smh
jesusgixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Minibull
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché
 
Minibull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Top O' the South, New Zealand
Motorcycle: 1998 GSXR 750
Posts: 3,950
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Fuckin gravvy strikes again






Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachrolla View Post
Let me start off by saying that I should've started with a 250. Only been riding since last year. Here's the story: I was in center lane of highway, friend motions for me to exit a exit earlier than we are supposed to (he's in the right lane). Exit was right there so I cut into the right lane, then the exit lane and saw that the curve was coming. Apparently, I panicked a little because I didn't think I could make the curve and decided to bring the bike straight back up and come to a stop at the split between the right lane and exit lane. I must've hit the rear brake b/c next thing I know I'm riding on gravel and feel the bike swinging right then left, followed by me being throw off of it and landing on my head. I think I flew off at about 30-40 mph, not sure though.
Yeah, so the key thing here seems to be..........it's not gravel....it's panicing over a simple corner...and also having no clue as to doing a panic stop...

And the point of a smaller bike to start off with comes into play here, as the parts to repair the bike would be a whole lot cheaper, and crashed small learner bikes still tend to hold a fair bit of value...hey ho
Minibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Roachrolla
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

yeah the potholes suck. surrounded by them :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibull View Post








Yeah, so the key thing here seems to be..........it's not gravel....it's panicing over a simple corner...and also having no clue as to doing a panic stop...

And the point of a smaller bike to start off with comes into play here, as the parts to repair the bike would be a whole lot cheaper, and crashed small learner bikes still tend to hold a fair bit of value...hey ho
that's exactly what happened, i saw the curve and froze for that one second and it all went downhill from there. I noticed I've been on the verge of freezing multiple times since the crash and I've been trying to get myself to stop doing that. I feel like I'm going into turns/curves "too fast" and stare straight ahead but I've been able to get myself to just snap out of it and look through the turn and make it rather easily (i gotta watch/read twist of the wrist II again)...i had to get a new stator cover, shifter, mirror, windscreen, frame slider, rear left fender etc. But it was good experience learning to replace all this stuff.
Roachrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
oldgixxer
Loves to nibble on Shannons huge boobs
 
oldgixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Orange County,N.Y.
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Posts: 15,097
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibull View Post


Thats gravy.I said gravvy...short for gravel
oldgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Cassidy
Rookie
 
Cassidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Valparaiso, FL
Motorcycle: K9 750
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Thats gravy.I said gravvy...short for gravel
Gravvy = 6 Letters, Gravel = 6 letters

Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: manchester, UK
Motorcycle: Kawasaki ZX9R
Posts: 3,468
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
I said gravvy...short for gravel
cainyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Samantha750
Moderator
 
Samantha750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Republic of Texas
Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM
Posts: 9,918
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Thats gravy.I said gravvy...short for gravel
Umm, if you say so then sure, gravvy is short for gravel. Both have six letters so not sure how it's short(er) but uh-huh.

Samantha750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Cassidy
Rookie
 
Cassidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Valparaiso, FL
Motorcycle: K9 750
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samschou View Post
Umm, if you say so then sure, gravvy is short for gravel. Both have six letters so not sure how it's short(er) but uh-huh.

Don't try to steal my thunder!!!
Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
Roachrolla
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Hey guys,
Past few times I've taken the bike out and it has died on me while on the road. I notice the lights dimming/flickering, the gauges are all wrong, and then it just shuts down and I can't start it back up. The battery is new and no fuses are blown. I've charged it back up and the same thing will happen within an hour. I've also smelled a burning smell in the past few weeks of riding and more recently, a "whirring" noise coming from the front left of the bike where the rectifier is. After doing some research, I feel that the likely culprits could be the stator or rectifier. I removed the recitifer this morning and attached some pics below but see no noticaeble damage to the unit or wiring. I should have tested everything with a multimeter but didn't have access to one at the time...
Questions, are those two wires "protruding" from the back of the rectifier normal? And can a rectifier make noise when going bad? I'm about to buy a new one one online so I can get back on the road. Thanks in advance

Roachrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
MeanFastmachine1980
Squid
 
MeanFastmachine1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Motorcycle: k5 Gsxr1000
Posts: 5
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Nice bike man ! I'm from Baldwin Long Island .
MeanFastmachine1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
obc
Club Racer
 
obc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,686
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

welcome roachrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanFastmachine1980 View Post
Nice bike man ! I'm from Baldwin Long Island .
so sorry to hear that.
obc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Samantha750
Moderator
 
Samantha750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Republic of Texas
Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM
Posts: 9,918
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachrolla View Post
Hey guys,
Past few times I've taken the bike out and it has died on me while on the road. I notice the lights dimming/flickering, the gauges are all wrong, and then it just shuts down and I can't start it back up. The battery is new and no fuses are blown. I've charged it back up and the same thing will happen within an hour. I've also smelled a burning smell in the past few weeks of riding and more recently, a "whirring" noise coming from the front left of the bike where the rectifier is. After doing some research, I feel that the likely culprits could be the stator or rectifier. I removed the recitifer this morning and attached some pics below but see no noticaeble damage to the unit or wiring. I should have tested everything with a multimeter but didn't have access to one at the time...
Questions, are those two wires "protruding" from the back of the rectifier normal? And can a rectifier make noise when going bad? I'm about to buy a new one one online so I can get back on the road. Thanks in advance
I would highly recommend relocating the rectifier or it will go out again. Use the search function for how-to threads.
Samantha750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain
 
Ironhead401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 11,132
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

They really should ban the use of gravel one of these days.
Ironhead401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
Roachrolla
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samschou View Post
I would highly recommend relocating the rectifier or it will go out again. Use the search function for how-to threads.
yeah i looked at a couple of threads on how to do that. will look into it.
Roachrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #19
GS220
Lifetime Premium
 
GS220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 1k, 07 CRF 450r
Posts: 1,209
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Anywhere in NYC is not a good place to ride a sportbike.
GS220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
GriffinD
...just like sex with Shane
 
GriffinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Strong Island
Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 750 (street), 2007 GSXR 750 (track)
Posts: 12,038
Re: 07 GSX-R600 from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanFastmachine1980 View Post
Nice bike man ! I'm from Baldwin Long Island .
Howdy neighbor. RVC here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS220 View Post
Anywhere in NYC is not a good place to ride a sportbike.
Plus juan. Typically, people (other than that of a squidly variety) get out of NYC to ride
GriffinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008 — 2013 Gixxer.com
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum