How to get your confidence back??? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Riding Tech

Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr 750 srad with a few mods thanks to the members on this site.See signature.
How to get your confidence back???

I wasn't aware i'd lost my confidence, till I did my next trackday after I came off at Silverstone.

I'm no expert....Silverstone was my 3rd trackday and was really enjoying the day.As the day went on, I got faster and faster but then started missing braking points and hence missing my apexes and eventually came off at copse corner.
I even went out again after the off with an instructor, to correct my lines and BP.

Road riding is ok confidence wise but then I did Donnington on the 20th sept and couldn't believe how slow I was going!
Was NO WHERE near the pace I know i can do....seemed to be only be on right handers too.
Everytime my brain told my wrist to crack the throttle open, my wrist would reply "f**k you!"

Was really dis appointed with the day and the rain in the morning didn't help.

Went home feeling I under achieved...

K6 thou forks/"K Tec" Springs, Brembo 19x20 RCS m/c, R1 calipers, Hel ss lines, Renthal dual compound grips, DID x ring gold chain, Renthal -1+2 sprockets, Sudco full exhaust, BMC filter, Gilles rearsets, Factory Pro engine covers, Samco Hoses, Ohlins rear shock, GPR steering damper, Yoshi MJN Jet kit thanks to our resident carb Ninja CCMHUNT!
Armi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
MacBayne
hand-eye coordinator

Motorcycle: K6-600
Re: How to get your confidence back???

if you ride at 80%, you are more apt to be able to make corrections once you make a mistake. from what you described, you went beyond your limits. don't take that as a bad thing though. every time one learns a new adrenaline-type sport, they are too timid at the start, shortly after they become reckless and make a big mistake, then realize where their limits are at and then settle into where they should be. running off made you lose your "edge," but know you are better because of it, and the confidence will return.
MacBayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Stop trying to ride "fast" and try to slow down and concentrate on riding "right". If you can work on PERFECTING your riding, rather than working on trying to go fast, you will slow down a bit, and feel more comfortable. By doing so you will not set of the human panic instincts, and actually learn more and end up faster in the end.

Human survival panic instincts are the biggest difference between a fast rider, and not. 90% of the time our natural panic instincts are WRONG when on a motorcycle, and will make you crash. You have to train yourself to get rid of them. You can only do that by slowing down and sneaking up on them.

Motomummy.com : D&A Cycles of Macon : Livengood Motorsports
us129photos.com : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust : Moto D Racing : Dunlop : Hazardous Racing :SFH : SBS : VHS :
www.GoMotoJoe.com
Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Misti Hurst
Back Marker

After your crash were you able to figure out exactly what you did wrong?

If you don't know what mistake you made and how to go about correcting then it can be really difficult to get your confidence back.

You said that once you started going faster and faster you started missing your braking points and that you "eventually came off at copse corner." Did you lowside, highside, run off the track?

I'd start there and then come up with a plan of what SPECIFIC exercises you could work on to get you back on track and riding at the pace you know you are capable of.

Misti

mistihurst.com
motomom.ca
Misti Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr 750 srad with a few mods thanks to the members on this site.See signature.

lol @ Joe.I thought that was the whole point on track
I'm pretty sure i was scared at Donnington, so that human survival, probably kicked it.

Misty Hurst......Have been told that I ran off the edge of the tyre but after having spoke to someone, they said that was doubtful, as my exhaust and pegs should've ground out before decking out, which didn't happen.

Here's a vid of the off...it's right at the end, if you're getting bored;

[youtube]
[ /youtube]

And this is me going shit slow at Donnington, for comparision....try not to fall asleep

[youtube]
[ /youtube]

Was concentrating on bp at Donnington and was concentrating on looking where I was going at Silverstone but NOT both at the same time

K6 thou forks/"K Tec" Springs, Brembo 19x20 RCS m/c, R1 calipers, Hel ss lines, Renthal dual compound grips, DID x ring gold chain, Renthal -1+2 sprockets, Sudco full exhaust, BMC filter, Gilles rearsets, Factory Pro engine covers, Samco Hoses, Ohlins rear shock, GPR steering damper, Yoshi MJN Jet kit thanks to our resident carb Ninja CCMHUNT!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
GS220
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 1k, 07 CRF 450r

Depends on how bad the crash...A little low side or run off does nothing but teach me without damaging my confidence.....Hospital visits in the ambulance are usually different....I was f*cked up for a year mentally after a bad one once.
GS220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
Moto_Joe

And you would be wrong.

The point is to ride right. If you ride right, speed will come.

If you go out and constantly just push your personal limits you are not learning, you are simply surviving. You stop learning, and just re0inforce bad habits and incorrect lines and such.

Sometimes, you really do have to slow down to go faster . It is not just a saying. Working on drills is an example of that. There is a reason all the major schools dont send you out and just tell you to go set your personal best laps.

You should have a SPECIFIC goal for each time you go out. And that goal should NOT be just "go fast". If it is all the time, you are wasting your time

I did a blog on it not long ago.

Read the last two blogs

http://www.gomotojoe.com/Blog.html

us129photos.com : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust : Moto D Racing : Dunlop : Hazardous Racing :SFH : SBS : VHS :
www.GoMotoJoe.com
WERA Expert #20

Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Misti Hurst
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armi View Post
Misty Hurst......Have been told that I ran off the edge of the tyre but after having spoke to someone, they said that was doubtful, as my exhaust and pegs should've ground out before decking out, which didn't happen.

I watched the vid and it's hard to tell from that angle what exactly happened. I have a few ideas but I need you to answer another question (or two) first.

Anyone else that wants to chime in is more than welcome, even if we don't figure out what Armi did wrong it will be a good discussion

When do you want to be getting on the gas in a corner and why?

Misti
Misti Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
MacBayne
hand-eye coordinator

Quote:
lol @ Joe.I thought that was the whole point on track
I'm pretty sure i was scared at Donnington, so that human survival, probably kicked it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znge8-qZzeA&feature=plcp[ /youtube]

And this is me going shit slow at Donnington, for comparision....try not to fall asleep

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUYbfh2P6cs&feature=plcp[ /youtube]

Was concentrating on bp at Donnington and was concentrating on looking where I was going at Silverstone but NOT both at the same time
i am not sure why you went down on the last corner in the first vid, but it looks like your bike is leaned too far over. i also want to mention that you are on the gas too late on each corner. your lines are too tight, so it causes you to be on the fuel too late. you are missing a lot of available stability because of your coasting and maintenance throttle.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
Moto_Joe

Judging by the first video, it looks to me like a few things. One you are missing apexes a lot. Two you are likely not hanging off enough. Three it seems you are plowing the front far too long off the gas, and need to be opening the throttle back up slightly before the apexes to get some weight off the front. But lastly in that specific turn it looked to me you did a bit of all of the above... blew the apex, and plowed the front too long and were running wide, and you tried a late corner line correction with lean angle change (as apposed to throttle/speed change) and ran the bike off the edge of the tire while on the gas and lost the rear.

www.GoMotoJoe.com
WERA Expert #20

Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
GSXR7ED
I'm Sticking Around

Motorcycle: GS750TZ, GSX-R750Y (Gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post

Read the last two blogs

http://www.gomotojoe.com/Blog.html
Taking time to read this. I plan on going to a TD within a year. Thanks

Ed
GSXR7ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Moto_Joe

I've added one since then. But they are all still there. Let me know what you think
Old 10-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
GSXR7ED
I'm Sticking Around

Motorcycle: GS750TZ, GSX-R750Y (Gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
I've added one since then. But they are all still there. Let me know what you think
I'm enjoying the reading...flat track...10 seconds...good stuff!

I've got a friend who is ready/waiting for me to get an SV650 track only bike. Just waiting for the right moment.
GSXR7ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
Moto_Joe

SVs are sweet track bikes. Tons of fun. Ive recently been racing on one in the Endurance series and they are very good teachers in keeping momentum and being smooth
Old 10-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Haven't read the blog yet Joe but I know you know what you're talking about and I think most of the things you said are true, if not all.
Someone said that i couldn't have gone off the edge of the tyre, as the pegs, or exhaust didn't ground out first

Deffo wasn't hanging off enough and yes, was also missing apexes.
The coasting too much makes sense to me...have been reading totw2 with more intent now and keeping the bike where it's more compliant with the suspension and keeping weight distribution 40/60 with throttle control and being earlier on the gas is making sense.

The reason i think i lost my bottle, is cos' i didn't know why i came off.......I actually thought it was cos' of sitting too far back in the seat.
At donnington, I resorted to swiveling round the tank.
Have now gone back to sitting back on the seat and things seem to have improved....have yet to try it out on track but staying positive.

I need to be braking earlier, or harder and then getting on the gas earlier, right?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #16
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Ya know i'll confess now...

Remember you saying in a thread once, that if you're feeling scared, to slow down.....I was at one point but didn't slow down....was trying to suppress my survival instincts
Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti Hurst View Post

When do you want to be getting on the gas in a corner and why?

Misti
As early as possible, to get the bike stable.......waits to be corrected
Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
MacBayne
hand-eye coordinator

Quote:
I need to be braking earlier, or harder and then getting on the gas earlier, right?
no. that is the wrong way to look at it. your lines are too tight. start your turn later, and from as wide as possible and see how you like it. when you take a tight line, your bike is leaned over longer, and thus you are unable to get on the gas. you are tipping in too early. it doesn't really matter where you brake or how hard, as long as your chassis has settled before the turn. don't take that to mean throw braking to the wind.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Thats honestly how it felt...that the bike was tipped over for too long and i couldn't get on the gas early, or didn't feel comfortable getting on the gas.

You guys are good man!!!

So it's turning in later and harder/faster..........I get the taking a wide line bit, I just didn't apply it
Old 10-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
Moto_Joe

You should ALWAYS be either on the gas, or on the brakes (ideally) once you reach a certain level of speed that trail braking is required.

But, with that said, "on the gas" does not always mean accelerating. In fact it CAN mean even decelerating.

Your hand should always be in full control of the throttle. There are turns where I accelerate, then decelerate, then accelerate again without braking. In those types of turns the throttle is never actually shut. It is just closed down to the point of decelerating at a controlled rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement