» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Riding Tech

Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
mdportorock
Novice

Why does 40mph seem so damn fast?

I think it might be the wind but why does it seem like I'm going so damn fast when I'm only doing like 35 40mph? I'll be honest, I'm 30 and just bought my first bike k5 750 20th anniversary. I took the training before I got my license bought the bike and then did my research. I admit I did this backwards and maybe I should of bought a slower bike but It's to late to look back now. I haven't done anything stupid and I used to ride little dirt bike in my teens but that's the extent of my experience. I'm practicing at my local Costco parking lot at night and I'm feeling better about riding and more comfy. Still trying to get my turns\steering down. Any tips? Just seems that the wind makes it seem like I'm going faster than I really am or maybe I need to lay on my tank a little more.

I have a feeling that I'm going to get flamed for this thread.
mdportorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Hammer 4
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: Bikes are all sold..
Re: Why does 40mph seem so damn fast?

As you keep riding, you'll get use the speed, whether it's 40 mph, or 100 mph. Right now, and in the coming months, your outlook on riding, along with riding skills will change. Stay relaxed, but stay focused. Keep your bike well maintained, and ride with Good gear and it shouldn't be long before you'll feel comfy riding 65 mph one handed, if that's what you choose to do. If you can find someone who has been riding for a long time, and is a Responsible rider, to ride with, and maybe give you some tips, that might help.
Hammer 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
davidhar
Mesonychoteuthis hamitoni

Do you not have a helmet? Otherwise I'm not sure how wind matters.

Edit: steering- use your knees/thighs/gut on the tank so you don't put any weight on the bars. Bad habit of beginners to sport bike posture to lean their weight forward on the bars, which screws up turning.
davidhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
njyork42
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 05 GSXR 750

After you get used to it 100 mph will feel like 50 mph.. It is just too damn easy to go fast and hard to go slow IMO.
njyork42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

Motorcycle: Kawasaki ZX9R

As the others said the feeling of speed is very different on a street bike than in a car or on a dirt bike in a field, Your brain is working over-time to try to take in all the information, potential dangers, the hundred things(cars/people and shit) moving at different speeds all around you.

One other thing you could potentially be doing is focusing too closely on your immediate surroundings, meaning you are concentrating on things within say a 10 foot radius of the bike, if there is a car in front of you, spot it, anticipate what it could potentially do but don't focus on it, look to the car in front of that, It's called forward planning. You will eventually be able to look up a busy road and notice what every car is doing.

You will get used to it.
cainyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Pro-Lux-Racing
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: A Gixxah!

40 miles an hour has never felt fast to me.
Pro-Lux-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
wisegunner
Rookie

Motorcycle: CBR1000rr '06(sold), GSXR600 K7

40 mph is fast considering that you cannot run even half of that for very long. You are doing the right thing with the practicing. Making an effort towards learning how to ride is always a good thing.

Good luck and watch out for shopping carts!
wisegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Shaftmaster
PM me of you want your shaft mastered

Motorcycle: 2009 Gsxr 750 2009 Yamaha R6 2002 honda f4i
Take what everyone else has said and while in the parking lot tape your speedometer and don't worry about your speed. As you progress you will not even feel the wind.
Shaftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Insured GSXR
Novice

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R 600

Ive only been riding for about 4 months, so I remember that feeling. At first it was an insane rush and it felt crazy. It will go away very quickly, and now 100+ feels like nothing at all.

Are you wearing a helmet? I rode my bike for the first time without a helmet the other day and I hated it. The windnoise was ridiculous and the noise from the bike was something Ide never heard before. There was so much mechanical noise that you do not hear when wearing a helmet.

Long story short, it will go away. Quickly. If youre not wearing gear, wear it.
Insured GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
HardRacing
Site Sponsor

Motorcycle: 07 GSX-R1000, . OHLINS_MASTER_DEALER

One thing too is getting used to being out in the open, without a cage around you, at speed. Plus , depending on it's size, alot of parking lots give the sense of being small and confined. As posted, once you ride more and get out on the open road, you will get sorted and all will be good.

HardRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
mdportorock
Novice

Alright, great answers. You guys pretty much hit the nail on the head with your replies. I do have a helmet, the guy I bought the bike from gave me 2 arai corsair rx-7 wraith helmets...very nice. I am definitely putting my weight on the handle bars and makes turning kind of funky and unstable. I'll make sure that I grip the fuel tank with my knees and lean on it a bit from now on. I definitely feel my senses being overwhelmed. Forward planning from now on.

Oh I guess i joined the club this past Sunday. I was riding in my apt parking lot and came to a stop with my handlebars pointing left....bike quickly leaned over, I tried to bring her back up but I had to lay her down and I busted my ass on the road. Thank god for frame sliders..Bike was not damaged but my ego was hurt hahah.

Thanks for the good advice fellas. I'll keep practicing until I get used to it.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
dLegend82
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 K4

^ lol your life must have flashed in front of you JK.
Ride safe. Maybe do an advanced riding course.
dLegend82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdportorock View Post
I think it might be the wind but why does it seem like I'm going so damn fast when I'm only doing like 35 40mph? I'll be honest, I'm 30 and just bought my first bike k5 750 20th anniversary. I took the training before I got my license bought the bike and then did my research. I admit I did this backwards and maybe I should of bought a slower bike but It's to late to look back now. I haven't done anything stupid and I used to ride little dirt bike in my teens but that's the extent of my experience. I'm practicing at my local Costco parking lot at night and I'm feeling better about riding and more comfy. Still trying to get my turns\steering down. Any tips? Just seems that the wind makes it seem like I'm going faster than I really am or maybe I need to lay on my tank a little more.

I have a feeling that I'm going to get flamed for this thread.

Put a helmet, leathers and gloves on. 40mph feels much faster when you are wearing shorts and a tshirt and nothing but a pear of Ray-bans on your head.
SPL170db is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
K3Gixx
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as in rooster. Which might be even worse. And takes more duct tape to avoid a damn mess. Has lead to interesting nights.

Quote:
Oh I guess i joined the club this past Sunday. I was riding in my apt parking lot and came to a stop with my handlebars pointing left....bike quickly leaned over, I tried to bring her back up but I had to lay her down and I busted my ass on the road. Thank god for frame sliders..Bike was not damaged but my ego was hurt hahah.

Thanks for the good advice fellas. I'll keep practicing until I get used to it.

Yep, many of us have been there, few will admit it though. Now you know... NEVER touch your front brake to a stop if your forks are turned. Drops your bike like it's magnetically drawn to the Earth.

Quote:
Any tips? .

1) Go to Amazon.com and buy these two DVD's: "Ride Like a Pro 5" (it contains 1-4 plus the new stuff, so you only have to buy this one) and "Keith Code's A Twist of the Wrist 2"

2) Watch this guy's entire catalog of youtube videos. He breaks stuff down simply, and doesn't drone on and get boring......

http://youtu.be/b2fGYU1CNb0
K3 Gixxer 600 custom F117A Stealth Fighter themed
'07 Victory Hammer S Sunset Red & Black
'12 Ducati Diavel Carbon - Red

2012 Harley-Davidson FLTRX Road Glide Custom, Black Denim
K3Gixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #15
Minibull
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché

Motorcycle: 1998 GSXR 750

Quote:
I do have a helmet, the guy I bought the bike from gave me 2 arai corsair rx-7 wraith helmets...very nice.
I always hate the idea of a second hand helmet. Leathers and boots, etc yeah thats ok I guess, but with a helmet there a a few too many unknowns for me.

Also, does the helmet even fit you properly? Is there a gap between your forehead and the EPS?
Any pressure points around your head?
When the helmet is done up and you are looking in a mirror, does you face move when you move the helmet left/right and up/down?
Can you roll the helmet off by grabbing the rear of the helmet by your neck, and rolling the helmet forward off your head?
1998 GSXR 750: Full Titanium Yoshimura Tri Oval exhaust, K&N Filter, A.P.E MCCT, Factory Pro case covers, Goodridge Braided Steel Lines, K7 Radial Master Cyl, FP Levers, Yoshimura Billet Pillion pegs.

To do: Power Commander, Suspension work...
Minibull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #16
tlee2989
Mr Creepy McCreep

+1 the more seat time you get the more comfortable you get i catch myself at times on the interstate at 100mph easy riding one handed, before to long you will learn to use the wind as an advantage in help holding and supporting some of your body weight

i always ride faster than the traffic i dont like to stay by the same cars/trucks because you get used to your surroundings and basically turn on autodrive if your constantly changing your surroundings you are staying alert different cars/trucks drive different (they all drive like idiots without paying attenition to you while they are texting, messing with the radio, reading, eating, putting on make-up, etc.)

but keep practicing in your local lot like your doing until you get comfortable to take it on the street but pace yourself don't ride with idiots because then you will push yourself so far out of your comfort zone that you will end up running out of talent/luck and eat shit. and always ride in gear dress for the slide, not the ride because its going to happen its just a matter of time we all go down sooner or later its just the nature of the game.

ride safe and enjoy it
tlee2989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
mdportorock
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibull View Post
I always hate the idea of a second hand helmet. Leathers and boots, etc yeah thats ok I guess, but with a helmet there a a few too many unknowns for me.

Also, does the helmet even fit you properly? Is there a gap between your forehead and the EPS?
Any pressure points around your head?
When the helmet is done up and you are looking in a mirror, does you face move when you move the helmet left/right and up/down?
Can you roll the helmet off by grabbing the rear of the helmet by your neck, and rolling the helmet forward off your head?
All I can really tell you is that it fits tight but pretty comfy. If I try to move the helmet while it's on my face def moves. I'll have to try tonight and see if the helmet rolls forward off my head.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
mdportorock
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3Gixx View Post
Yep, many of us have been there, few will admit it though. Now you know... NEVER touch your front brake to a stop if your forks are turned. Drops your bike like it's magnetically drawn to the Earth.

1) Go to Amazon.com and buy these two DVD's: "Ride Like a Pro 5" (it contains 1-4 plus the new stuff, so you only have to buy this one) and "Keith Code's A Twist of the Wrist 2"

2) Watch this guy's entire catalog of youtube videos. He breaks stuff down simply, and doesn't drone on and get boring......

http://youtu.be/b2fGYU1CNb0

Thanks for the links. I've been checking out some of these youtube videos here at work and I'll def be taking what he said in to consideration.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #19
groundhogday
Back Marker

Motorcycle: K1 SV650, L1 GSX-R 750

Being overwhelmed by the sensation of speed is a classic symptom of not looking far enough ahead too. Know how when you're driving fence posts far into the distance look like they're barely moving, but if you look at the ones right beside the car they're just a passing blur? If you're not looking far enough ahead you get an amplified sense of speed. And do a search for helmet fitment on Youtube. There are some good videos that I wish I'd seen before I got my first lid.
groundhogday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #20
wheelsofsteel
Novice

Motorcycle: 07' Gsx-R600
All of the above is fantastic & useful advice! If I where to add my $0.02 I would say spend some time on the freeway &/or longer straighter roads you know ever inch of. I'm not saying stop the parking lot practice! I think the sooner you begin to be calm & more comfortable at higher(highway) speeds you will build up your confidence. also help get used to the noises, wind & traffic. Of coarse DON'T do anything you are not comfortable with doing yet! The fact is that you will be driving over 40mph more often than parking lot speeds, especially with a nice new bike.
Sounds like your doing the right things & asking the right questions so keep putting the miles on & it will only get easier & more enjoyable
Happy riding....

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
wheelsofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement