Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels – anyone have positive experiences? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
King Kenny
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 K6 & K8
Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels – anyone have positive experiences?

Guys,

Seen this advertisement on the net for Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels for $2750 including Taxes (Australian GST). This is a 25% saving off normal retail prices & about $1000 cheaper than BST’s.

Just want to know how they compare to BST’s in general & any other info in general. I don’t think that they look quite as elegant as the BST’s with chunkier spokes (still 5 spoke design) but the design looks very similar. They would primarily be used on the road for weekend jaunts (fast) & the general commute. Would do the odd track day too I’m sure but would not be a track based bike by any means.

http://www.dymag.com/?q=products

King Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
MacBayne
hand-eye coordinator

Motorcycle: K6-600
Re: Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels – anyone have positive experiences?

if you have 2750 to throw away on something that won't matter, why do you need a forum to justify it?
MacBayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
Chugs
Lets go racing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
if you have 2750 to throw away on something that won't matter, why do you need a forum to justify it?
Chugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
King Kenny
Rookie

Quote:
Where do I even start...???

How can you manage to take from my initial question that I am looking for justification from strangers over the internet to buy a product? Being a man who work's for a living I don't have money to 'throw away' let alone spend it on something that 'won't matter'. I am actually pretty shrewd with my cash & thus my trying to take advantage of a sale where present.

What happened to getting an honest answer to a fairly humble question?

FYI I am building a custom special of a K8 GSXR1000 to my own specs for the road. I already have the bike (ex Superstock racebike) which is fairly smartly kitted out so far (Ohlins, Yoshi, etc. parts) & I am in need & desire a set of new wheels to accompany the rest of the bike & meet my goals which is improved overall performance through lightweight components, tuning, electronics upgrades & setup.

BST's were always on my list of must have components & now after seeing the sale on what I assume to be a fairly comparable product from a well known & proven manufacturer of performance wheels I was looking for just general info & feedback on these wheels as I dont know a lot about them (yet). $1000 saving is far better in my pocket that not so I am happy to look into Dymag's wheels if they fit the bill so to speak.

Now to say that lightweight wheels 'don't matter' is a fairly dumb thing to say in general as the wheel/tyre/rotors make up 2 of the biggest rotating system masses on the bike & profoundly influences the handling, suspension braking & accelerating dynamics constantly. A reduction in both mass (unsprung) & rotational inertia has instantly discernible results that you are benefiting from as long as the wheels are turning.
Why would I not want this???

So I hope that this clears up your little query. If other forum members have any relevant comments or even better some actual real info or experiences of Dymag Carbon Fibre wheels then I'd love to hear it.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
tomzilla
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 gsxr 600, 01 hd fxdl, 03 buell blast(for funzies)
Well, I remember reading on several other forums of the bst wheels failing. Wether it was breaking, cracking, no linger holding air, it was bad. Also I think they have a life span, as in so many miles before you should replace them. It's just something you may want to look into before you buy them. Would really suck for you to buy them, and then have to replace them next season because they are wore out.

sent from toaster. yeah, toaster.
tomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Mr645
Dont take ANY of my advice, EVER, when it comes to riding motorycles.

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 1000

I can't say I have ever used Dymag wheels but they have a long history of top level performance. I would feel pretty safe that their carbon wheels will be a great performance boost on par with BST or Rotobox. Carbon is going to be stronger, more durable and more expensive then Magnesium or forged aluminum wheels
Mr645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
BillV
Club Racer

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Carbon wheels make an immediately noticeable difference and aren't going to be subject to the corrosion issues of magnesium. You'll probably be just fine with Dymag though they don't (at least yet) have TUV approval. Bankruptcy tarnished the Dymag name and it's going to take some hard work by them to dig their way out of that. I had some concern as it was reported that the company that bought the assets was Singapore based. The new facility is in the UK but I don't know if they're actually made there.

They seem to be significantly cheaper in the UK advert than they are in the US.

P.S. Carbon rotors make as big a difference as do the wheels - if you can find them.

Last edited by BillV; 08-11-2012 at 11:22 AM.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
MacBayne
hand-eye coordinator

Motorcycle: K6-600

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kenny View Post
Where do I even start...???

How can you manage to take from my initial question that I am looking for justification from strangers over the internet to buy a product? Being a man who work's for a living I don't have money to 'throw away' let alone spend it on something that 'won't matter'. I am actually pretty shrewd with my cash & thus my trying to take advantage of a sale where present.

What happened to getting an honest answer to a fairly humble question?

FYI I am building a custom special of a K8 GSXR1000 to my own specs for the road. I already have the bike (ex Superstock racebike) which is fairly smartly kitted out so far (Ohlins, Yoshi, etc. parts) & I am in need & desire a set of new wheels to accompany the rest of the bike & meet my goals which is improved overall performance through lightweight components, tuning, electronics upgrades & setup.

BST's were always on my list of must have components & now after seeing the sale on what I assume to be a fairly comparable product from a well known & proven manufacturer of performance wheels I was looking for just general info & feedback on these wheels as I dont know a lot about them (yet). $1000 saving is far better in my pocket that not so I am happy to look into Dymag's wheels if they fit the bill so to speak.

Now to say that lightweight wheels 'don't matter' is a fairly dumb thing to say in general as the wheel/tyre/rotors make up 2 of the biggest rotating system masses on the bike & profoundly influences the handling, suspension braking & accelerating dynamics constantly. A reduction in both mass (unsprung) & rotational inertia has instantly discernible results that you are benefiting from as long as the wheels are turning.
Why would I not want this???

So I hope that this clears up your little query. If other forum members have any relevant comments or even better some actual real info or experiences of Dymag Carbon Fibre wheels then I'd love to hear it.
they are almost 3k for CF wheels that you just want to look cool. you said you don't like them as much as BSTs, and your so called "fast" jaunts on the weekends and your commuting are not going to be spinning the wheels fast enough to take full and reasonable advantage of their purpose. sure the bike will feel lighter, and turn quicker yada yada yada, but CF wheels are higher maintenance, have a short lifespan, and will fuck right up with a crash. if you think they look cool, go ahead and get them. Dymag are a reputable manufacturer of quality product.

Service Manual for free: www.servicemanualsgsxr.com
Best Prices on Parts: 888-784-4327 Ext. 214 (www.sportbiketrackgear.com)
MacBayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
gixerhp
Rookie

Motorcycle: Hayabusa

I have had a set of the Carbon Magnesium wheels on my Busa for over 5 years now!

They have held up well with the exception of the cush drive. My bike is a bigbore bike with 200hp at the wheel. So the cush drive inserts dont like life!
gixerhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
JP1143
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K4 1143, L2 1K

BST's here also now for 7 years on a bike with 200+hp and no issues. They look just as good as when I pulled them out of the box. Just be careful with who you use to change your tires.

The vendor that I bought my wheels from also sells Dymag said that they were slightly heavier but stronger than the BST's, but either choice, your still getting a top-notch, lighter wheel than anything else out there. Personally, the BST's just look better and have a nicer appearance, so thats why I picked them over the Dymags, but that is just my opinion and preference.

So if anyone wants to take a jab at me for picking the BST's just because I thought they looked better, then just so you know, I wipe my ass with $100 dollar bills....
2004 GSXR1k, ported head perfected by Jim Cambora, 76mm JE 13.5:1 pistons, Carrillo A rods, RC's 4mm crank, Akrapovic exhaust, Yosh STR-R cams, billet basket w/JetSpeedz clutch mod, Brock clutch cushion, Koenig 1.5' billet pan, PC mapped by RaceworX, BST wheels/titanium pin kit, Afam sprockets/DID chain, Pipercross filter, NGK plugs, speedohealer, billet v-stacks, FP levers, APE head/case studs, Galfer rotors/ lines, suspension by Cambora, Vortex rear sets gp shift, ceramic bearings
JP1143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Buster Hymen
Only Here to LOL & +1....

Motorcycle: K7 750 Crackbike

I'd give my left nut for a set of carbon wheels.........
Buster Hymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
njyork42
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 05 GSXR 750

I'd give your left nut for a set of carbon wheels. ^
njyork42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
Mr645
Dont take ANY of my advice, EVER, when it comes to riding motorycles.

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 1000

Send me a set you you can have his right nut as welll
Mr645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #14
King Kenny
Rookie

Quote:
they are almost 3k for CF wheels that you just want to look cool. you said you don't like them as much as BSTs, and your so called "fast" jaunts on the weekends and your commuting are not going to be spinning the wheels fast enough to take full and reasonable advantage of their purpose. sure the bike will feel lighter, and turn quicker yada yada yada, but CF wheels are higher maintenance, have a short lifespan, and will fuck right up with a crash. if you think they look cool, go ahead and get them. Dymag are a reputable manufacturer of quality product.
Again with the assumptions....

I dont want to 'look cool' & really couldn't give a crap what others think - I want the wheels for their performance, nothing else. If I wanted bling whells I'm sure I could come up with something better than plain black chunky 5 spoke wheels - some delicate, minimalist looking forged aluminium/magnesium ones perhaps. I merely said the BST's looked more elegant (thinner spokes) but had a similar design (5 spokes) which I'm sure is an optimal design of mass vs stiffness vs strength.

I'm going to make the assumption that you've never had a set of lightweight wheels on your bike because my forged Oz wheels mad a hell of a difference to my CBR954RR handling wise. They made the bike feel like a flickable 600cc bike & not a duller Superbike. Plus you feel the difference ALL THE TIME especially when flicking the bike from upright to heavy lean or from left lean to right lean. 150 - 200kmh is 'fast' in my book for jaunts btw - cornering any quicker on the road is a recipe for disaster on the road IMHO.

I dont expect any wheel to hold up well in any kind a decent crash & as per maintenance what do you do have to maintain beside the universal bearing fitted to any wheel? There are not magnesium (porous) so don't need regular X-Raying for cracks/signs of fatigue & are not susceptible to corrosion like metals.

The reason I put up this post was to get info on flaws, lifespan, etc. so I can make an informed decision. I did'nt even know Dymag made a CF wheel until recently & never heard of Rotobox (they look interesting but am wary of how they would affect the bike in crosswinds as the spokes are wery large & wing like) until this thread either.

Anyway thanks for your generous endorsement to get the Dymags - I'll keep it in mind...
Old 08-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #15
King Kenny
Rookie

BillV:
Interesting info about the TUV certification & location of fabrication - will defo look into that. I would be in the market for CMC / Carbon-ceramic rotors too but will do the wheels first as I need a set of wheels anyways & the rotors wont help the heavy OEM rear wheel perform any better.

Tomzilla:
Have heard of BST's failing before on the net but I though that was mainly drag racing applications with very high stress. I really want them for road riding primarily & don't expect them to suffer anyway near as much torture as competition wheels.

JP114:
I fit my own tyres manual changer & balancer) so I'll only have myself to blame! Stronger wheels are preferable to me vs slight weight difference or more elegant spokes so in that case the Dymags would be a prefered choice to me vs the BST's. Also didnt even know that Dymag made CF wheels until this week let alone the Rotobox's but like I mention above I'd be dubious of their negative affects in crosswinds with so much of the wheel filled in with those massive spokes. The are an very interesting/clever design with hollow spokes open to the rim though!

gixxerhp:
Interesting about the cush drive. My bike will be alot lighter than stock but will also have more torque/power & slight shorter gearing. I can't see it being as hard on cush drives as a big bore Busa though
Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #16
kwaka10r
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K1 1000, K7 750

Kenny, don't waste your breath answering the haters or mediocre Joes here. You got nothing meaningful to add to the POST OWNER's request then nick off.

They remind me of that joker that told Stocky his evaluation and results obtained with a Motty ATX-4C expansion unit were meaningless without a before and after dyno run.

Kenny, did you buy that bike from a guy in Bossley Park?
kwaka10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #17
oldgixxer
Loves to nibble on Shannons huge boobs

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomzilla View Post
Well, I remember reading on several other forums of the bst wheels failing. Wether it was breaking, cracking, no linger holding air, it was bad. Also I think they have a life span, as in so many miles before you should replace them. It's just something you may want to look into before you buy them. Would really suck for you to buy them, and then have to replace them next season because they are wore out.

sent from toaster. yeah, toaster.
Only situation I have read about have been drag racing related on mega horsepower bikes. Ive hade a st of BST's for almost 2yrs and not a single issue whatsoever,I'd buy another pair right now if I had the money
oldgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #18
-JK750-
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 01 GSX-R 750

Motomummy's test

-JK750- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
kwaka10r
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K1 1000, K7 750

A good chuckle. After that I would have liked to have seen it spun up to 250mph with a tire mounted on it to see if would fly a part. If it didn't break maybe load it with 440lb as well at the same speed.

Special hi-tech episode of mythbusters maybe!
kwaka10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #20
JarvisB
Rookie

Damn... No way in hell I could handle my wheel like it is a lightweight like the one in video. Looked like they were playing throw and catch! That light of wheel impresses me! Never would be able to afford to own one anyway
JarvisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement