GSX-R1000L2 Excessive Fork Stiction : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Chassis, Suspension & Tire Setup

Old 05-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
cogniscenti
Squid

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000 / VFR400R
GSX-R1000L2 Excessive Fork Stiction

'Lo all...

I took delivery of my GSX-R1000L2 last Thursday. I rode it 350 miles on Sunday, and noticed that as the ride went on, I noticed an excessive amount high-frequency bounce coming from the front over light ripples and undulations in the road.

Before I left, I made sure to zero the stock settings. As the ride went on, I took to dialing out compression damping. It did nothing. I took some rebound out, and it improved things slightly, but it was basically the same.

Today, I took off the front wheel, and loosened the triples, clip-ons and front fender. I ensured that the fork height was the same using a digital caliper, tightened everything down to spec, and installed the front wheel with the axle loose. I dropped the front end, bounced on it a few times, and torqued the axle to spec, then the pinch bolts; mounted the calipers and tightened the fender.

The result? It's basically the same -- even with both adjusters on each fork assy. turned all the way out.

I've owned more than 30 motorcycles over the years, and the one I traded for this one was my GSX-R750K6 that I bought new. It didn't exhibit this problem, ever.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of this problem with the BPF.

Thanks.

Last edited by cogniscenti; 05-07-2012 at 08:49 PM.
cogniscenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
sir stackalot
Rookie

Motorcycle: k9 750 x2, k9 1000
Re: GSX-R1000L2 Excessive Fork Stiction

how much stiction (in mm) is there?
sir stackalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Mr645
Dont take ANY of my advice, EVER, when it comes to riding motorycles.

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 1000

You might need some more miles on it. I had the forks rebuilt on my K3 and it felt really stiff at first. After a couple of hundred miles of easy street riding, it felt better, but really get nice after an hour in the mountains.
Mr645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Alatalo
Back Marker

Motorcycle: GSX-R 1000 25th

Your impression sounds very much like my own impression of every production BPF front fork I have ridden - good support and good confidence during hard braking, but really harsh in most other situations and not very good absorption of small, sharp bumps. I think there are several reasons for this.

First, the friction properties of the production BPF front forks are not that good due to the choice of inner tube polishing method and inner tube coating. Not much you can do about it, except for taking your front fork to a suspension shop that can polish front fork inner tubes.

Furthermore, most production BPF front forks seem to be delivered with a rather strange compression damping spec. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do about it with the compression adjuster. This type of compression adjuster changes only the preload of the compression shim stack which means it is a pure high-speed compression damping adjuster. Good for adjusting your dive speed during hard braking, but it does not change the thing that you really want to change from a comfort point of view - the compression bleed flow and thereby the low-speed compression damping. Because of this you have got no isolated low-speed compression damping adjuster. On the other hand, the rebound adjuster is a pure bleed flow adjuster that affects compression as well as rebound damping. The reason you found a small improvement by opening up the rebound adjuster is likely because you also reduced the low-speed compression damping. However, this is little bit of a compromise since you do not really want to find yourself adjusting compression damping by also adjusting rebound damping...
In my opinion, it is very difficult to sort out the comfort with the existing adjusters. If you are looking for a big improvement in this area, you need to take your front fork to a suspension shop that can install a different compression damping spec OR install an aftermarket piston kit / cartridge kit.
Alatalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement