Perfect Bike For The Lady? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > GixxerGirls

Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Travis V
I dont love OG's cack anymore

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600 - Future Track Bike
Perfect Bike For The Lady?

Wasn't too sure if this should have been posted in the lady section or in general. I was hoping I might get some advice from other female riders than guys who may think they know what a girl wants.

I want to get my lady a motorcycle, she has always been in love with mine. She wants a GSX-R, preferably with a black and pink color scheme. However, I am not 100% sure on what CC bike I should get her. She is a new rider and very competent but where I see there might be an issue is that she is very petite in size. I would think a 600CC or higher would be too much for her, weight wise. She does however feel comfortable on a 600CC bike.

Well ladies, what would/did you start off with?
Travis V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
6spd
!##NULL##!

Re: Perfect Bike For The Lady?

cbr250rr. Best you can get right now.
6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Cassidy
Rookie

Motorcycle: K9 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
cbr250rr. Best you can get right now.
I would prefer the Ninja 250 right now since the Honda is only two years into production

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
foskamink
Brat

Motorcycle: k8 600

Cbr 250 r abs
foskamink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Travis V
I dont love OG's cack anymore

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600 - Future Track Bike

I appreciate it.

Ninja 250 seems to be what she is favoring.
Travis V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
lxiii
Novice

Motorcycle: 2011 Ducati Monster 796

DONT GET HER A 600.

Get her a 250, which ever one she chooses. Especially since you say she is petite. She needs to learn how to handle a bike, and only practice is gonna help her do that.

I had two 250s, and put on around 12k miles before I moved up to a 600, and it was a great way to start.

I think that you being nervous about putting her on a 600 says a lot. Its always better to start too small than too big I think.
lxiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
gixxy600
Squid

Motorcycle: 07 gsxr 600

I started on a kawi 250 as my first street bike 3 yrs ago. I now have a gsxr 600 that I love!!!!
In my opinion, weather she is a NEW rider or not, a 250 is te best way to go to learn and get some miles under your belt. I am very comfortable on my 600 now but couldn't imagine starting out on it.
I am 5" and have no trouble handling the weight of my 600. We each have different comfort levels and each need to just figure out what works for them.
Best of luck
gixxy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
6spd
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
I would prefer the Ninja 250 right now since the Honda is only two years into production

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
2 years? So what? Honda has been making the best sports bikes in the world since forever.
6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
foskamink
Brat

Motorcycle: k8 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
2 years? So what? Honda has been making the best sports bikes in the world since forever.
i guess you didn't watch the history of Suzuki video posted recently
foskamink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
fenix67
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: GSXR750 1996

i know this is probably late but she could try a sports/tourer first, like a GSX650F less touchy so she could get use to it then move to the supersport.

Last edited by fenix67; 05-10-2012 at 09:59 PM.
fenix67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
i never sleep
Rookie

My G/F just got a Triumph Street Triple (after 8 years on gixxers) and couldn't be happier.

It really is a great bike, suitable for anyone, good at everything. I want one too now.
i never sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
LaxBuddy21
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2012 GSXR 750 and 2012 FZ8

My wife started on a Ninja 500. She loved it and it was perfect to learn on. Now she is on a Ninja 650 and has no problems whatsoever. She can easily handle my 600 as well. The Ninja 500 and GS 500 are the two perfect starter bikes for anyone, male or female, that will be doing any highway riding. The 250's are great as long as the speed limit is not 65 where they will be riding.
LaxBuddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
AZDaisy
Squid

Motorcycle: '06 GSXR-600

I started out on a Ninja 250 as well. First time I ever rode was in the MSF class. I put 12,000 miles on my Ninja before getting a ZX6R. Then I moved to a litrebike. I like the GSXR600 now because I just find it the best bike for me all around. I have been riding for 9 years and am getting a 2011 750 as soon as I can work up to nerve to say goodbye to my 600. Displacement isn't as much of an issue as power band and clutch control to a n00b. You can find a GS500 is right for you if you're comfy handling the throttle. In my opinion the 250 had an excellent amount of power and it really helped me build up my confidence. I have owned many difference displacements of bikes but each one was a new challenge for height and weight distribution. At 5'4 and 118lbs I sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed by bikes over 480lbs.
AZDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
momsgixxer6r
Squid

Motorcycle: 2011 GSX R-600

After 25 years of riding passenger on my husband's '86 GSX-R750, I finally got my own. I mean I got a GSX R-600. I think it's perfect. I am 5'6" and just over 120 lbs. I put my feet down flat on both sides. It is still a challenge for me every ride, since motorcycle riding is not automatic for me yet, but I am having a great time and getting better and more confident everyday.

I do get some funny looks from guys when they find out what my starter bike is and I'm not sure why. It's not like I am going out there beating on it or trying to go as fast it will go...
momsgixxer6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #15
yourname2221
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2000 600 (motors out 750 going in)

Exact type thread I was looking for. My wife is looking at getting into riding and she has her MSF course in a few weeks. I have taken her to a parking lot and got her used to starting and stopping the bike in a straight line, I didnt go into shifting because its hard for her to understand. Everything went well until about 45 minutes in on her final pass i told her to give it a little more brake to feel how much power they have (she was slowly riding the brake stopping in 15-20ft). She slowed down to about 5mph and they slamed it on and the weight shifted forward and bike fell on her. She was a little scared after that. She is is 100% italian and she has been there tons of times and after that incident she really wants a moped.

I'd prefer to have her on more of a sportbike to be able to ride with me but I dont want to push her into something she wouldnt be comfortable with. Nor do I want to go out and buy a 250 for her to practice/ get comfortable on (most likely drop) for her to say she doesnt want to ride it then have to sell it.

Should I just get her a moped or try to sway her towards a 250? I love her and want her to be involved in my hobbies as much and as safe as possible.
yourname2221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
lxiii
Novice

Motorcycle: 2011 Ducati Monster 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourname2221 View Post
Exact type thread I was looking for. My wife is looking at getting into riding and she has her MSF course in a few weeks. I have taken her to a parking lot and got her used to starting and stopping the bike in a straight line, I didnt go into shifting because its hard for her to understand. Everything went well until about 45 minutes in on her final pass i told her to give it a little more brake to feel how much power they have (she was slowly riding the brake stopping in 15-20ft). She slowed down to about 5mph and they slamed it on and the weight shifted forward and bike fell on her. She was a little scared after that. She is is 100% italian and she has been there tons of times and after that incident she really wants a moped.

I'd prefer to have her on more of a sportbike to be able to ride with me but I dont want to push her into something she wouldnt be comfortable with. Nor do I want to go out and buy a 250 for her to practice/ get comfortable on (most likely drop) for her to say she doesnt want to ride it then have to sell it.

Should I just get her a moped or try to sway her towards a 250? I love her and want her to be involved in my hobbies as much and as safe as possible.
I would hold off getting her anything until after she takes her MSF, then see how she feels. What kind of bike did you have her riding in the parking lot? And chances are she's not gonna be able to keep up with you for a while, especially if she hasn't even started shifting yet.

If your worried about getting her a bike and then having to sell it because she decides against riding wouldn't it be smarter to get her a 250? I would say the chances of her deciding not to ride after getting her a bike are gonna increase with the amount of CC's, as well is the price of the bike. an older 250 is real cheap an much easier to ride than a 600, also small enough for a smaller woman to pick up after she falls over... and she will fall over learning slow speed maneuvers.

Don't get her a moped, if your wanting her to eventually get into bigger sport bikes it doesn't make sense.
lxiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
yourname2221
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2000 600 (motors out 750 going in)

I have a 600 but would never get her a 600. 250 only and i dont expect her to 'keep' up with me per se just come out and see all the sights in Northern California while we are stationed here.

I dont want to get her a moped unless she really doesnt want a sport bike. Its all up in the air now and was looking around at prices on 250's
yourname2221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
GixxerVixxen
Fragile Little Flower of Texan Femininity

Motorcycle: 10 BMW S1000RR, 09 gix6

Quote:
Originally Posted by i never sleep View Post
My G/F just got a Triumph Street Triple (after 8 years on gixxers) and couldn't be happier.

It really is a great bike, suitable for anyone, good at everything. I want one too now.
not a great starter bike tho, especially for shorter women.
GixxerVixxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Luna C
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2011 GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourname2221 View Post

The big problem with a moped is it doesn't let you get comfortable with shifting and clutch control. A used 250 is cheap & if you drop it, so what.

BUT, having said that, what's right is what she wants! Even if she changes her mind later; we all have to get through things our own way. There are big cc mopeds, CanAms, etc. that may not look like much fun to us on sportbikes, but being together is what matters!

I started riding because I figured it would spice up my 56 mile commute. I'd never even thought about the possibility. After 8 years & 7 bikes, I can't imagine having missed out on this. My husband and I are having a kick-ass time with weekend rides & trackdays, but we all come to things in our own way and our own time. And in the end that's the only thing that will work anyhow. So let your wife figure it out on her own. You're just lucky you're not in the "my wife won't let me get a motorcycle or {fill in the blank}" group. Those comments just set me spinning
Luna C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
THE_AUGUST_FOX
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 01 GsxR 750 Classic W&B color ~
Just scrolling through threads as
a newer member 2 the site. Very
chillz 2 see confident women rippin
gixxers.... Much Respect Ladies ~

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by THE_AUGUST_FOX; 11-17-2012 at 06:15 AM.
THE_AUGUST_FOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement