I just wanted to tell my fellow riders (since my girlfriend doesn't seem to care at all) that I just picked up a k6 750 engine, ecu, throttle bodies and air box for $800 and I'm pretty damn excited! I picked up this k6 600 for $2,500 a few weeks ago and the guy dropped it, put a hole in the tank and pretty much wanted a new bike. I jumped on the deal and bought it that day. I then, sold my k2 600 the next day to my friend for $2,500 and went online and got me a set of Super-China fairings and all the parts I wanted to upgrade my new k6. I'm pulling the motor and swapping everything this week, welding up my gas tank and painting it to match the fairings, installing all my new parts: mirrors, lights, exhaust, levers, tires, -1 +2 sprockets, and will be posting before and after pics. I'll be into this bike $4,000 and I couldn't be happier.
My bikes at home right now. I'll take a few pictures of how beat up this bike is (the frame and forks are perfect) before I start tearing it down. I'll probably post a few pics as to how im going to weld the tank and body fill/ paint it. I've also got a few problems I need to address like for 1- this bike had an engine cage on it when i bought it and the first thing i did was take it off. the cool thing was the guy who put it on thought it was a good idea to get bolts with different thread pitches and bolt through the cage, through the frame and into the engine so when i went to remove the bolts, they were seized. When applying heat and slowly removing the bolts with a breaker bar both heads ended up snapping so the 2 side engine mount bolts are broke off and just sitting in my frame. sweet. I'm going to either plasma cut them out or... drill them out. We shall see.. but I will have a K6 600 engine just sitting around if anyone is interested.
I stripped my tank down and dug out all the JB weld the guy put into the hole, and rinsed it with water a few times. Then i put 1/4 gallon of brake clean in it and swooshed? it around, rinsed that. Used soap and water and then flushed it with water a few times. I made sure it didnt smell like gas and went ahead and welded the hole up on a more powerful setting and made sure it penetrated well. I then filled up the rest of the area so i could grind it down and then use a small amount of body filler for the rest.
welded a little more and grinded it all down. couldnt get it all the way smooth because when i was welding it kept trying to blow holes through the thin metal on the tank. I had to really lower the setting and do small sections at a time. I think after i body fill it it'll all look good.
she seems to be coming along well, but i have a small suggestion. have you tried ebay for a new tank? you can get ones in great shape for $100-$150 since you already have all of the extra stuff (pump, heat shield etc). the weld job should hold up, but it is an option...
I thought about putting a cam in it and shimming the lifters but the guy only had 8K on this 750 motor so I wans't too worried about the lifters. As for upgrading engine internals.. for now, I've put a good amount of money into this bike. I just want to get it up and running and looking super clean. I'm sure this winter I'll rebuild the motor and the head just for fun. It only took me less than an hour to pull the motor out so if I do need to pull it for any reason I can do it any saturday afternoon. I'm pretty sure the guy before me took out the set valve. I've got 2 cables running from my tail up to..... nowhere.
Here it is.. Ah yeah! The guy I bought the motor from painted it black like an idoit so now when i pressure wash it the paint will always be chipping and coming off. I'm hoping to have time tomorrow to throw it in and hook it all up.