Fork oil level : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Chassis, Suspension & Tire Setup

Old 02-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
scooteroo
Back Marker

Motorcycle: GSX-R750 K7 GSX-R600 Track bike, T500J.
Fork oil level

Hi, is it possible to lower the fork oil level without removing the forks? My suspension guy has the level at 107mm, my zip tie is 28mm from the bottom, when I wind off preload it makes no difference, so I want to lower the oil level to 120mm, then possibly to 130mm if required. So is there a way I can do this?
Al
scooteroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Chugs
Lets go racing!

Re: Fork oil level

Nope, to measure it correctly u need fork vertical to measure to get better measurement of oil level. Or maybe your springs are too stiff?
Chugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Not on stock forks. If you have Ohlins cartridges they are designed to pull the caps and springs out easily without a spring compressor. Why don't you want to pull the forks out to do it proper? Only needs a triple tree stand and a little elbow grease. I assume you don't have the tools needed to work on the forks?
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

I do mine on the bike, but I have ohlins internals. The level change is so close that it is accurate enough with the forks just barely off vertical. If I want to drop by 10mm.... doing it from say 180 to 190 vertical, would just be say 182-192 on the bike, but it is still 10mm. I just make sure I measure the same way on both and at the same spot on the fork.

But I dont think you can do it on stock forks, because to do it accurately you have to be able to pull the springs, and spacers, and compress the cartridge.

Motomummy.com : D&A Cycles of Macon : Livengood Motorsports
us129photos.com : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust : Moto D Racing : Dunlop : Hazardous Racing :SFH : SBS : VHS :
www.GoMotoJoe.com
Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
scooteroo
Back Marker

Bugger! Thanks guys, they are std forks GSX-R600 K7 track bike, I had 1.00 racetech springs installed, I am 195LB with gear, but a short arse at5'4", I don't have a prob with that lol, but I gave my suspension guy all the racetech guff that said 120mm oil etc, etc and he sets it at 107mm wtf! Thanks again guys, I will pull the forks and get him to set it at 120mm!!!!
Regards
Al
Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Moto_Joe

195 WITH gear? Those springs are likely too heavy too.

I am 170ish, and you can figure about 25lbs of gear, so about the same weight as you. ON the more technical heavy elevation and braking tracks I use .95 springs. On more flowing but still technical tracks I use a .95 and .90 spring. And one REALLY fast flowing track with little braking I use .90/.90 springs.

This of course is with Ohlins internals and damping, but I did the same with my 20mm kit as well which is basically stock stuff upgraded
Old 02-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
scooteroo
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
195 WITH gear? Those springs are likely too heavy too.

I am 170ish, and you can figure about 25lbs of gear, so about the same weight as you. ON the more technical heavy elevation and braking tracks I use .95 springs. On more flowing but still technical tracks I use a .95 and .90 spring. And one REALLY fast flowing track with little braking I use .90/.90 springs.

This of course is with Ohlins internals and damping, but I did the same with my 20mm kit as well which is basically stock stuff upgraded
Okay, so if I drop the level to say 130 will that tend to mask the heavy spring Joe? The tracks I go to are quite quick, with little, but some heavy braking. I realise that can be very subjective. I have ridden with the springs in and didn't ( I don't think ) have any issues, or should I go back to oem springs? I do value your recommendations, thank you.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Moto_Joe

I would say if you want it "right" you want the right spring rate AND the right oil level for what you are doing.

A 1.0 spring will work ok. I do endurance racing on a bike sprung with 1.0 and even 1.1 springs (my team mates are heavier than I am). But it will be a bit stiff of a ride.

The oil level will allow the bike to settle deeper into the stroke, and allow the bike to work better if you are leaving a lot of suspension travel on the brakes.

A combination of too stiff a spring AND too high oil level is giong to have the bike riding REALLY high on the brakes, and make it a bit sluggish to turn in, as well as effect weight transfer to the front basically.

I dont know what the oil levels are for stock forks. Sorry. I run in the 180mm range but I have 25mm kits

Motomummy.com : D&A Cycles of Macon : Livengood Motorsports
us129photos.com : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust : Moto D Racing : Dunlop : Hazardous Racing :SFH : SBS : VHS :
www.GoMotoJoe.com
Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

Sponsored Links
Advertisement