My review of Flashtune ECU : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > The Dyno Room

Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
xaznxeclipsex
Squid

My review of Flashtune ECU

Hey Guys, first time posting so please go easy.
Purchased my first bike, used 2008 gsxr 600 with 2000 miles, all stock no mods in may of this year. Great bike but nothing else really to compare it to other than riding my friends Aprillia RSV4 Factory and another friends Ducati 1198 but those bikes are on a whole nother level. Those bikes have tons more power but on midnight highway rides I have no problem keeping up with them. The mod bug kicked in so on to motomummy I go and ordered a Akra Shorty + PCV. Cut the cat off and didnt feel like installing the PCV after seeing the install instructions. Ended up selling the PC and ordered a ECU from Flashtune.com, told them to do TRE, pair disable, and flash for akra shorty with cat delete . Shipping was pretty fast I must say :. Install was simple. I have read many reviews about the flash giving their bikes super powers or whatever, front end coming up when not even trying. I already knew those statements werent true to begin with because even a good dyno tune will only net you a few extra ponies. well I must tell you guys its not the case with my bike. Power is maybe increased a tiny bit felt on the butt dyno, maybe a little smoother. Now I maybe a noob, but my bike still pops with the "pair disable" on the ecu, even a little more than with stock ecu. Yes I know I can go plug the pair valve but what was the point on offering the ecu pair disable if it does nothing to the pops :headscrat . Also the bike spits flames out if I rev the motor, which didnt happen on stock ecu. So heres my review, I dont know if I like it or not, nor do I know if the A/F ratio is correct. My expectations before ordering was not really increase power, but to smooth out the power band and stop the poping.

Thanks for reading and please excuse any grammer mistakes.

xaznxeclipsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
cpd419
Spunk Gargling Knob Gobbling Squid

Motorcycle: 08 gsxr 1000 -- 03 Honda Ruckus -- 06 kawasaki Mule-- 05 CRF 100 pit bike
Re: My review of Flashtune ECU

I had mine done on the dyno and I plugged the pair valve and have quite a bit more noticeable power and no pops,flames etc. I think it is useless unless you do it on the dyno from what I have read. It only takes a few minutes to plug the pair valve by the way.
cpd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
nakedinseattle
Back Marker

Motorcycle: it has two wheels

first, enter key, paragraphs are your friend

second, ecunleashed flash does more than just add a few ponies, everything controlled by the ecu that can be tweaked, is perfected. it does bring the front end up all the time, it does de-restrict all the software stuff suzuki puts into the bikes to slow em down like fixing real time throttle control and fuel and timing and more and its incredible. if you want the real deal on flashes, www.2wheeldynoworks.com/ecunleashed and ask the tuner himself.
nakedinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
MacBayne
hand-eye coordinator

Motorcycle: K6-600

flashing your ecu is not a tune. it is a flash of programmed parameters by the factory. you must take your bike to a tuner to tune the bike. ambient temperature and pressure (and these are the big two factors, there are more) vary from area to area and even day to day, so ordering a flash and map from somewhere else that doesn't even use your specific bike can never get it exactly right.
MacBayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
nakedinseattle
Back Marker

Motorcycle: it has two wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
flashing your ecu is not a tune. it is a flash of programmed parameters by the factory. you must take your bike to a tuner to tune the bike. ambient temperature and pressure (and these are the big two factors, there are more) vary from area to area and even day to day, so ordering a flash and map from somewhere else that doesn't even use your specific bike can never get it exactly right.
thats why you get it from a company that does all the math for you and spends months perfecting its product for each bike and not just joe shmoe
nakedinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
yaksha79
Rookie

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR 750 Black/Blue, cat delete, set valve and pair valve delete, moto gp shift, flashed ECU, R6 throttle tube, K&N, Ported 06/07 header, Underbike Yoshi r77, 520 conversion -2in front, HID, Billet levers, braided lines.

They disable the pair valve so you can pull it off completely without your FI light coming on. If you had them disable it lift the tank and pull that crap out.
yaksha79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
MacBayne
hand-eye coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
thats why you get it from a company that does all the math for you and spends months perfecting its product for each bike and not just joe shmoe
a generic flash is not even remotely close to a tune by a reputable person. the OP got a generic flash.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #8
DemonRR
say my name bish

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600 track/some street

ahhh another "fake tune" customer finally realizing that its worthless getting a computer generated tune done for your bike.
DemonRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
pocar
Rookie

Motorcycle: K7 GSXR 750

Im not trying to thead jack but where is a good place to get a flash or is pc the way to go.
pocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
MacBayne
hand-eye coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocar View Post
Im not trying to thead jack but where is a good place to get a flash or is pc the way to go.
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317678
Old 12-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
cpd419

Motorcycle: 08 gsxr 1000 -- 03 Honda Ruckus -- 06 kawasaki Mule-- 05 CRF 100 pit bike

Quote:
I got mine done at the gap at Wheelers on the dyno. It takes about four hours and cost me $125. He did away with the O2 sensor and plugs the pair valve. He really takes his time and gets it as close as he can. And you can make a trip of it and ride the gap when your done.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
pocar
Rookie

Motorcycle: K7 GSXR 750

I just finished reading http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...lash+pc&page=6 as I have been using the almighty search function. Im leaning toward the flashbecause the timimg, fan temp, set and pair delete fuctions, But i like the ability to change the fuel air mix whenever of the pc3 or pcv. mods to the 07 750 in question are full akra, k&n. I will be doing some more searching and see if there is anyone closer to me that has a good rep for doing this type of thing on the dyno.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
cpd419

Quote:
I just finished reading http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...lash+pc&page=6 as I have been using the almighty search function. Im leaning toward the flashbecause the timimg, fan temp, set and pair delete fuctions, But i like the ability to change the fuel air mix whenever of the pc3 or pcv. mods to the 07 750 in question are full akra, k&n. I will be doing some more searching and see if there is anyone closer to me that has a good rep for doing this type of thing on the dyno.
Go down in the spring for a couple of days. You will get your flash done right and get to ride some of the best roads in the US.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
wot-75
Novice

My tuner told me that short of doing a full tune on the dyno, the best route to go is to pay $150 for Flash-tune (which aside from FI map differences between the two it performs the same functions as ECU unleashed) and then get a self mapper system (Bazzaz or Power Commander), set the AF to 13 and that will get you as close as possible to full power. He said the dyno may be good for another couple HP (tops) but that comes down to individual bike quirks... for instance they found the ZX10 they tested likes to be set richer than the self-mapper suggested and they were only able to discover this on the dyno...

Last edited by wot-75; 12-15-2011 at 06:10 PM.
wot-75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

If I were you I wouldn't test that 17,000 rpm redline you had them put on there. Suzuki puts the redline where it's at for a reason......so the motor doesn't eat itself. Considering the fact that you have a stock engine the motor stops making power long before the stock redline, there's no purpose in raising it up to 17,000 unless you'd like to blow your motor up early.

SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
wot-75
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
If I were you I wouldn't test that 17,000 rpm redline you had them put on there. Suzuki puts the redline where it's at for a reason......so the motor doesn't eat itself. Considering the fact that you have a stock engine the motor stops making power long before the stock redline, there's no purpose in raising it up to 17,000 unless you'd like to blow your motor up early.

+1... there's no need to mess with the redline/rev limiter unless you change the cams and tune to suit the changes. You're playing with fire otherwise...
wot-75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
banzai13
Dead dino destroyer

Motorcycle: '01 750...'89 fzr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd419 View Post
I got mine done at the gap at Wheelers on the dyno. It takes about four hours and cost me $125. He did away with the O2 sensor and plugs the pair valve. He really takes his time and gets it as close as he can. And you can make a trip of it and ride the gap when your done.
Hows ol Ken doing? I haven't talked to him much since he moved up there.
banzai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
WHEELERRR
Squid

Motorcycle: WHEELERRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai13 View Post
Hows ol Ken doing? I haven't talked to him much since he moved up there.
WHEELER here! I am still above ground and kicking. The flash-tune is awesome! It can change many things beside fuel. I have the interface for yamahas and I can change fuel, timing,secondary throttles, engine braking,fan temp and a few other things depending on the bike. I would recommend having a flash to your bike and fine tune it on a dyno with Teka, powercommander or bazzaz. only because it is quicker than a full flash and you can adjust it yourself. You still have to remove or plug the pair valve but now it won't set a code. any ? call or email wheelersperformance.com
Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
geminijsm
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELERRR View Post
WHEELER here! I am still above ground and kicking. The flash-tune is awesome! It can change many things beside fuel. I have the interface for yamahas and I can change fuel, timing,secondary throttles, engine braking,fan temp and a few other things depending on the bike. I would recommend having a flash to your bike and fine tune it on a dyno with Teka, powercommander or bazzaz. only because it is quicker than a full flash and you can adjust it yourself. You still have to remove or plug the pair valve but now it won't set a code. any ? call or email wheelersperformance.com
I had my ECU flashed and zero out my PCIII because I am not able to dyno it and wanted to tame it with the throttle sensitivity. I figure know the change before unleashing the beast. I have a k6 gsxr 1000 and I was worried i did something wrong because I left the PC on. You answered my question about that without even knowing. Thanks, one more thing, what should the idle be at? I am around 1250rpm right now and everything said increase idle but it is not.
geminijsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

I keep my idle on my K5 at right about 1250-1300. That's fine, especially for a streetbike, you could make the arguement to run it higher for a trackbike, but I haven't bothered even though my K5 doesn't see the street anymore.

I flashed my 600 but not my 1000 yet, although I was contemplating it. I wouldn't mind having the fan temp lowered from 220 down to 200 and maybe flashing the custom map that's on my PC3 right now directly onto the ECU and yanking the PC3 off.
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement