Want to replace my MC with an R6 Front Master Cylinder question???? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 08-10 GSX-R600/750

Old 11-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Sherron
Novice

Motorcycle: 08 Gsxr 600
Want to replace my MC with an R6 Front Master Cylinder question????

Heyyy people!

I am wanting to replace my stock 2008 gsxr 600 master cylinder with a new yamaha front master cylinder. i still ride my bike on the streets and will need the brake switch to still work. Will my stock brake switch plug work with the yamaha brake switch plug?

I would be purchasing a 2006 or newer master cylinder. Is there one year that is better than the other years?

Appreciate any advice on this question! Thanks Ya'll
Sherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
SVS
drunk texts OG and Oldfart

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R
Re: Want to replace my MC with an R6 Front Master Cylinder question????

Honestly it's kind of a moot mod - the Yamaha MC does say Brembo on it but it's not nearly as good as the aftermarket Brembos and not significantly better than the stock GSX-R MC. So unless you get an aftermarket Brembo MC, don't bother
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Sherron
Novice

No, not because it says brembo. But because that MC is way better then the stock 08 gsxr 600 mc. Like I can pretty much squeeze my brake level towards my throttle...It is not as stiff as the yamaha ones.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherron View Post
No, not because it says brembo. But because that MC is way better then the stock 08 gsxr 600 mc. Like I can pretty much squeeze my brake level towards my throttle...It is not as stiff as the yamaha ones.

Then you may be able to squeeze it even further with an R6 master cylinder. Don't forget, the R6 master is pushing against smaller pistons in the caliper (30mm and 27mm), your calipers have larger pistons in them (34mm and 30mm). 16mm master cylinder is smaller than 3/4 inch

Pushing the same fluid volume against larger surface area will make for less power at the lever.

Last edited by SPL170db; 11-03-2011 at 05:12 PM.
SPL170db is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
SVS

Quote:
Like I can pretty much squeeze my brake level towards my throttle...It is not as stiff as the yamaha ones.
When did you last change brake fluid? And do you have stock or SS lines?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Sherron
Novice

I have steel brake lines. I have done a good bleed on them. They just are not as stiff as I would like them to be. The newer brakes on the 11 gsxr are really stiff. I want that type of brake and I know you can change out the mc with an r6 mc I have heard of people doing it before and have loved the result..
Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
SVS

Quote:
I have steel brake lines. I have done a good bleed on them. They just are not as stiff as I would like them to be. The newer brakes on the 11 gsxr are really stiff. I want that type of brake and I know you can change out the mc with an r6 mc I have heard of people doing it before and have loved the result..
Placebo effect (and the fresh fluid they get at the same time) is strong. It's just the same as when people are like "OMFG X tire is SOOO much better than Y tire that I had before" - disregarding that the old tire was squared off with threads showing and 15 psi low...

If you want REAL results, get the aftermarket Brembo:

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=294&page=1
Old 11-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Sherron
Novice

Haha did you see the price tag on that!! You don't think it will have the same result??
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
SVS

Quote:
Haha did you see the price tag on that!! You don't think it will have the same result??
No - because there is a hell of a difference between the aftermarket Brembos and the OEM parts on Yamahas and the new Suzukis. And like SPL posted above, the Yamaha MC is designed for smaller pistons so less volume.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Sherron
Novice

So do you think the brembo master cylinder 19x18 will be a more powerful braking level then the R6?

It's just soooo expensive wahhhhh
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
So do you think the brembo master cylinder 19x18 will be a more powerful braking level then the R6?

It's just soooo expensive wahhhhh

If there's anything from the R6's brake system that you might want to swap over I would say go with the calipers. They are monoblock, a couple hundred grams lighter than the GSXR OEM calipers, and the fact that the pistons in them are smaller, means that when they are mated to your stock master cylinder it will give a firmer feel at the lever (after you've properly bled the system with fresh fluid).

Put it to you this way, on my 1K I have an aftermarket 19x18 Brembo, R6 calipers with Vesrah SRJL17 pads and Galfer lines. When properly bled the lever is harder then calculus and 1 finger hauls it down from 160mph before you can blink.

CCS AM #478
Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

You can't even compare oem brembo to aftermarket brembo.

I wouldn't bother with the master cyl unless you do go to aftermarket one. For most people though good pads, lines, and a damn good bleed job is enough.

016 oem tires are nothing like their aftermarket tires, same goes with most brembo oem, ohlins oem, etc. The list goes on and on. Very few bikes come with those names and have the true aftermarket parts on them.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
Sherron
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
If there's anything from the R6's brake system that you might want to swap over I would say go with the calipers. They are monoblock, a couple hundred grams lighter than the GSXR OEM calipers, and the fact that the pistons in them are smaller, means that when they are mated to your stock master cylinder it will give a firmer feel at the lever (after you've properly bled the system with fresh fluid).

Put it to you this way, on my 1K I have an aftermarket 19x18 Brembo, R6 calipers with Vesrah SRJL17 pads and Galfer lines. When properly bled the lever is harder then calculus and 1 finger hauls it down from 160mph before you can blink.
So the 19x18 is an exact OEM replacement? My bf also wants to do the same thing, but he says he cannot switch his calipers because CMRA rules and regulations say it is illegal. That is what we both want is to have really strong.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
Sherron
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMummy View Post
You can't even compare oem brembo to aftermarket brembo.

I wouldn't bother with the master cyl unless you do go to aftermarket one. For most people though good pads, lines, and a damn good bleed job is enough.

016 oem tires are nothing like their aftermarket tires, same goes with most brembo oem, ohlins oem, etc. The list goes on and on. Very few bikes come with those names and have the true aftermarket parts on them.
Very true...It's going to be better to buy the brembo aftermarket mc then the oem one. The 19x18 is it the correct size for my bike?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
So the 19x18 is an exact OEM replacement? My bf also wants to do the same thing, but he says he cannot switch his calipers because CMRA rules and regulations say it is illegal. That is what we both want is to have really strong.
Most people mistake bad braking for a poorly maintained braking system.

My 06 600 racebike has stock MC and stock calipers so it's legal for CCS Supersport. All I have are pads and stainless lines and a proper bleed job. On the racetrack it's plenty to get me hauled down from triple digits.

The stock stuff has alot more potential than most people think it does. They just don't do the proper maintenance, even when they think they are.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

The RCS is adjustable from 19x18 to 19x20. Yes, the brembo is a direct replacement for any oem master cyl. You can set the setting on the master cyl for whatever you like. Most go with 19x18 as it gives more feedback.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
Sherron
Novice

Yeah his brakes are worse then mine.... hmmm..maybe he just needs to rebleed his. His bike has 35,000 miles on it, he has Vesrah SRJL17 pads and steel brake lines..but still has horrible brake fade on the track. He says he has too much play in his brakes. Even when you go into the dealership of brand new gsxr's, if you squeeze hard enough you can touch the lever to the throttle, but when you go to squeeze the r6's you can maybe get half way.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #18
Sherron
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMummy View Post
The RCS is adjustable from 19x18 to 19x20. Yes, the brembo is a direct replacement for any oem master cyl. You can set the setting on the master cyl for whatever you like. Most go with 19x18 as it gives more feedback.
Thank you!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #19
Mikenbiken
Rookie

Motorcycle: 09 GSX-R750

I have the Brembo RCS 19 master, R6 calipers, braided lines, and SRJL pads. Really nice setup, and not that pricey. Can't imagine needing them to be any better. I really don't know if the R6 calipers work better than the GSXR calipers, but it is WAY easier to get them off to get the front wheel off without scratching it up, and I certainly don't need them to work any better. Like many have stated above, getting the cheesy R6 "Brembo" master will get something on your bike that says Brembo, but it probably won't work any better.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #20
rraiderr
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Stretched and slammed Busa

I have the RCS, 2 off master lines, Vesrah SRJL XX pads and it works well..
rraiderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement