k8 600 cant idle - stalls : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 08-10 GSX-R600/750

Old 07-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
keif3r
Squid

Motorcycle: K8 GSX-R600
k8 600 cant idle - stalls

Hey,

Ive got a stock gsxr 600 k8, only engine mod is zbomb timing restriction remover. Its got 25,000kms, has been serviced every 3000 to 5000 kms. only thing that hasnt been done yet is valve clearances.

Went to start it the other night to go to work, was really rough, ran for about 5 seconds then died. Started it again and had to use throttle to keep it idling. Then it stank of fuel, so i gave up.

Bike ran fine the previous time i was on it.

Started it the next day, again ran for 5 seconds, roughly, then died.

Put new spark plugs in it, old plugs were a little wet n just a touch of oil on the thread. The bike ran for probably 7 or 8 seconds, then died. but no fuel smell.

No code has come up on the dash, but i havnt put it in dealer mode yet.
1) Does the code come up in normal mode, or do you need to chuck it in dealer mode before it will show up?

20 Where to start? sounds like too much fuel coming through. All the exhaust pipes were the same temperature, so its not like one is not firing..
keif3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Ceiling Cat
Don't Mind Me - Just Snoopin' Around

Motorcycle: 2012 Hayabusa (SOLD) - 2013 Harley Davidson Road King
Re: k8 600 cant idle - stalls

Welcome to the club

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301833
Ceiling Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Lean With It
!##NULL##!

you have to wait until the red light is on to pull the code. The tach will read FI, but only for electrical issues.

When my bike smelled like fuel and stuff, some how my timing had jumped just by hitting the start button one day. If the timing is off, it may start hard, run for a short while and then die. Not saying that is your issue, but worth a check maybe. You can also lift the tank and check for leaks and pull your spark plugs and make sure they are firing strong.

Last edited by Lean With It; 07-25-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Lean With It is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
keif3r
Squid

I had a look through your thread, some good info. Would an ICS through a FI code? I drained my tank, chucked in some fresh premium, and still have the same problem. There is no fault codes coming up though. Does it just come up as a red light, or does it say FI? or does it only say FI when in dealer mode. Just in case i put it in dealer mode and no code come up that i can see..

Im guessing that its something mechanical as no electrical code coming up? Any suggestions on things to systematically check?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Ceiling Cat
Don't Mind Me - Just Snoopin' Around

Motorcycle: 2012 Hayabusa (SOLD) - 2013 Harley Davidson Road King

If you're having the same issue as the rest of us, no code comes up. Just runs like total shit. Dies in about 20 seconds after start up and have to throttle it until 120F ( and still runs rough until 160F ).
Ceiling Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
keif3r
Squid

Fixed with a new battery, i got my second recall letter from suzuki about the reg/rec so im gonna take it in to get that n the valves done.

While im happy the bike is running again, while looking at the idle problem, i found a small leak in my already welded radiator, fark..

Anyone know a cheap place for a new one??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in