Bazzaz Standalone QuickShifter review : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Bazzaz Standalone QuickShifter review

So, after 7 or so years on the track, 10+ on sportbikes, I finally decided it was time to get a quick shifter from www.motomummy.com. One deciding factor on me NOT having one, has always been that they required the purchase of a fuel management system (think power commander) as well to run them, on an FI bike. I have always been one to not do much in the way of power mods to my bike, rather concentrate on maximizing my riding without tons of rider aids, especially since I was mainly doing trackdays that entire time, so ultimate lap times was not the goal. I upgrade stuff as I either A: break it. or B: feel it is hampering my riding in some way (be it I am out riding the stuff, or it is hurting my confidence.

Fast forward to this year, and I am again racing with support in part from www.motomummy.com, and as such rider aids ARE helpful when it comes to making ultimate lap times. This combined with some VERY close finishes (hundredths, or even thousandths between me and another rider at the line) and it was time to make the bike faster.

This included the Bazzaz standalone quick shifter.

Installation was pretty straight forward and simple, as long as you can read the directions and are smart enough to follow them.

Installing the shift rod needed (that comes INCLUDED with the bazzaz, bonus... it doesnt on the dyno jet) takes the ability to cut it shorter (two-three sections) but is easy too.

Then it was time to race with it.

I was IMMEDIATELY shocked at the difference in thrust down the straight from the bike. Having to chop the throttle (even slightly) to make a shift, VS wide open throttle shifting slowed the bike down a LOT more than i thought.

The quickshifter shaved at least a couple tenths of a second per shift, adding up to probably a half a second to a full second per lap. It also added SEVERAL mph to my terminal speed on straights, enough so that my braking points and all of my track markers had to change. Felt like a completely new machine, and took a lot to get used to actually, since I am so well dialed in to my bike after all these years.

The downside, the standalone can cause an FI light to pop up, as the bike sees it as a miss fire on the spark plugs (it kills the coils when you shift). Some people will not like this, but I am able to look past it for how phenomenal of a shift it makes, and the time it makes up on the track.

All in all an awesome product, especially for those who want a quick shifter, but dont want to have to buy a quick shifter AND a fuel management computer.

I actually went with the bazzaz standalone, because I read review that it was a smoother, more seamless shift than he Dynojet QS, even though I also ordered a dynojet PCV at the same time.

I was not disappointed. If you are interested in one, great deals can be had at www.motomummy.com

Motomummy.com : D&A Cycles of Macon : Livengood Motorsports
us129photos.com : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust : Moto D Racing : Dunlop : Hazardous Racing :SFH : SBS : VHS :
www.GoMotoJoe.com
Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

Last edited by Moto_Joe; 08-08-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
rraiderr
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Stretched and slammed Busa
Re: Bazzaz Standalone QuickShifter review

Thanks MJ.
rraiderr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

A few local guys and I went around and swapped bikes to test different QS's and most definitely the bazzaz was the smoothest.

Glad you like it motojoe.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Gixxer357
I'm Kinda Like A Big Deal

Motorcycle: K6 & K8 750

Nice review Joe!

I've heard many folks say that it is definitely a worthwhile purchase, but like you I just refused to purchase a "rider aid". I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on one as the roll off required for upshifts does slow you down a bit and the faster you get the more noticeable it is. Gonna do some more research but I just might invest in one.
Gixxer357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Moto_Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer357 View Post
Nice review Joe!

I've heard many folks say that it is definitely a worthwhile purchase, but like you I just refused to purchase a "rider aid". I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on one as the roll off required for upshifts does slow you down a bit and the faster you get the more noticeable it is. Gonna do some more research but I just might invest in one.
Yup.

I can turn a string of laps in the same .5 of a second for most of an entire race sometimes if I dont have traffic and such. so i am consistent enough now to really notice the difference it makes, and it is significant to say the least.

The amount of change was enough that I had to make a gearing change for the track i as at compared to what I usually ran by one tooth on the rear, as well as my brake points all being fucked up lol.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Gixxer357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Yup.

I can turn a string of laps in the same .5 of a second for most of an entire race sometimes if I dont have traffic and such. so i am consistent enough now to really notice the difference it makes, and it is significant to say the least.

The amount of change was enough that I had to make a gearing change for the track i as at compared to what I usually ran by one tooth on the rear, as well as my brake points all being fucked up lol.
I'm trying to save money and you just ruined that plan...lol...Thanks!

BTW are you coming to VIR in Aug for Cycle Jam?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Moto_Joe

Yup. Taking over a week off work. Will be doing the schwantz school there too on thurs
Old 06-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Moto_Joe

here, just click add to cart and be done with it

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=454&page=1
Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Gixxer357

Quote:
Yup. Taking over a week off work. Will be doing the schwantz school there too on thurs
Cool. I'll hit you up as the dates get closer as I'll be there also. Do me a favor and don't race in the "B" SB and SS races.....j/k....lol.

Quote:

Don't tempt me!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Moto_Joe

BSB and CSB are all I race
Old 06-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
Chugs
Lets go racing!

Great review, I have the dj standalone and it has performed flawlessly. The best part I've bought for my bike.
Chugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
Baconterrain
Novice

Motorcycle: K8 GSXR1000

What are they like on the road in normal commuting??
I've heard some quickshifters are a little snatchy when not used at full or close to full throttle.
Baconterrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #13
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

it works great. As long as you have a load on the engine it works fine. I wouldn't recommend it if you're at like 2k rpm's, but even while cruising holding a steady speed it works fine. I've yet to have any issues with the Bazzaz QS on my bike. Been using it for years. In fact i've never had any issue like you're describing with any quickshifter. The main difference between them all is how smooth they are.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #14
Chugs
Lets go racing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMummy View Post
it works great. As long as you have a load on the engine it works fine. I wouldn't recommend it if you're at like 2k rpm's, but even while cruising holding a steady speed it works fine. I've yet to have any issues with the Bazzaz QS on my bike. Been using it for years. In fact i've never had any issue like you're describing with any quickshifter. The main difference between them all is how smooth they are.
+2
Chugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
ihaterhit
Wants to blow a dude named Benjamin

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 1000

+1 to the Bazazz QS. I bought the ZFI+QS for a deal and really only wanted the QS to begin with. I was surprised when gaining on people how much letting off the gas to shift was slowing me down.

I use it on the street to and laugh because now I'm lazy and never want to use the clutch.
ihaterhit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
IronGSXR35
Rookie

Motorcycle: 04 750

Do all (newer) GSXr's require the Fuel Mgt to use the DynoJet QS?
IronGSXR35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
jaso86
Back Marker

Quote:

I ordered mine from TJ at Riders Discount. Price difference is an oil filter and a bottle of motul rbf600.

i installed mine this past week. will get the rear seats adjusted soon and try it out. i won't be on the track till next month. the only thing that puzzled me was that when you install it on a 06/07 gsxr 600 (pull), the wiring to the shift module kinks up to get plugged into the harness instead of just straight.

jaso86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
Moto_Joe

yeah, I just zip tied it to the speed sensor wire and followed it up into the engine compartment. Kept it clean looking and safely out of the way.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
Anthony D
Super Moderator

Motorcycle: None currently...

I have mine mounted at the bottom of the shift rod, with the wiring heading straight up...

Anthony D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #20
Moto_Joe

Didnt seem like the threads would have worked that way on mine. The heim joint on the bottom is reverse thread (or vice versa)so it would not thread on down there or whatever.. I might not have tried exactly the right comb.

Do you have the one piece Bazzaz rod? or the Dynojet two piece rod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in