C41 FI code, fuel pump not priming, bad ECU??? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 04-05 GSX-R600/750

Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
/\G
Squid

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600
C41 FI code, fuel pump not priming, bad ECU???

I just bought a 2005 gsxr 600 with 2396 miles. the previous owner had started up a few days before I came to see it, he says it ran fine. But when I come look at it the bike wont start... regaurdless i bought it anyways...

I find out the fuel pump is not priming but there are no F1 codes ...yet. I thought the pump was just frozen because the previous owner started it with the gas that was in the tank all winter . So i took it out cleaned it with WD40 and got the fuel pump to power up. I also tested the termistor ( thermistor works properly). I put fresh gas in as well.

Before i did that i pulled off the fuel pump relay and messed with the plug for the relay (FI light comes on = c41 code which is fuel pump/fuel pump relay) I was trying to see if the fuel pump would power up.

After that I tested the FP relay with voltmeter (FP relay works)

I then checked all wires from FP relay to fuel pump with a voltmeter (all have good connection)

I then checked the wire from ecu coupler to the FP relay (has good connection)

BUT still the ECU is still not energizing the fuel pump relay thus not energizing the fuel pump ..... is it possible that by connecting the wrong ends of where the FP relay plugs into I accidently fried my ECU?

I checked the Tip Over Sensor just for the hell of it but i dont think it would be that because that has a seperate FI code.
/\G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
/\G
Squid

Re: C41 FI code, fuel pump not priming, bad ECU???

So I took my ECU into the Suzuki Dealer to have them test it today... im not sure how they actually test it? they hooked it up to a computer and somehow they can test it.... they tell me the ECU is functioning properly. So i dont know what else could be causing the C41 code????? any ideas guys?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by /\G View Post
is it possible that by connecting the wrong ends of where the FP relay plugs into I accidently fried my ECU?
yes
600k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Sushix420
Squid

Motorcycle: K5 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
yes
I dont think he read your post about the ECU being good. I am having the same issue as well!

I think its the relay! my fuel pump is good.
Sushix420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
vw2bugyou
Squid

Motorcycle: 05 GSXR 750

I've got a 2005 gsxr 750.
Had the same problem. I took out the ignition switch and took it apart at the contact area in the bottom. There is a teeny lil' capacitor or something that had a hairline fracture all the way through it. I un and resoldiered the connection with a new lil deeley. as far as locating the parts, you will have to get a five pack from radio shack. (For a whoppin 98cents). Just take the old one in and the nerds will read your colorcodes on the capacitor and give you a new one to put on.
Good luck.
vw2bugyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
/\G
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw2bugyou View Post
I've got a 2005 gsxr 750.
Had the same problem. I took out the ignition switch and took it apart at the contact area in the bottom. There is a teeny lil' capacitor or something that had a hairline fracture all the way through it. I un and resoldiered the connection with a new lil deeley. as far as locating the parts, you will have to get a five pack from radio shack. (For a whoppin 98cents). Just take the old one in and the nerds will read your colorcodes on the capacitor and give you a new one to put on.
Good luck.
before you fixed your bike was it able to crank over?? mine will crank over it will not start because the fuel pump is not priming. I feel like my bike would not even crank if there was an issue with the ignition...

also my "CHEC" light will turn off with the ignition turned to "ON", in neutral, clutch pulled in, kill-switch off, and side-stand up.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Sushix420
Squid

Motorcycle: K5 GSXR 750

I also noticed there was a draw on my battery. It wore my brand new battery down to 0% charge! I recharged it on a slow charge for three hours. Retested it and it came out good. Thats why I think its a relay because of the draw on the battery! Did anyone else experience a draw on there battery?

But your case might be different because u never mentioned a draw on your battery or your battery going dead. Because u said ur relay was good and you weren't throwing the code from the start.

Last edited by Sushix420; 06-19-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Sushix420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
/\G
Squid

it does not appear to be drawing power from the battery. I am still partial to the idea that I might have fried my ecu so I got one from a bike thats in good working condition it should be in the mail now. I am really hoping thats the problem because according to the manual a C41 code states:

1. check FP relay coupler for loose or poor contacts.
2.if OK, check the insulation and continuity.
Is FP relay OK?
if YES: (which mine is)
a.) Y/B wire open or shorted to ground, or poor connection to ECU
b.) if wire and connection are OK, intermittent trouble or faulty ECU.
c.) recheck each terminal and wire harness for open circuit and poor connection.
if NO: replace FP relay with new one

i checked everything and every looks good. The C41 code did not appear until i foolishly tried to jump the relay coupler with a wire to see if i could power up the Fuel Pump. I definately connected the O/W wire with the Y/B wire at the coupler, sending power back into the ECU without first going through the coil in the FP relay.... the leaves me to believe my ECU is now bad.

Sushi420.... if its is your relay you can test it by appling power to it (look at section 5-6 in the manual if you have one) or you can replace it with a new one, they dont appear to be that expensive.

Last edited by /\G; 06-20-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
/\G
Squid

UPDATE: PROBLEM FIXED!!! --- got a used ECU off ebay lastnight, plugged it in and the fuel pump primed, no FI codes came on and bike started right up!!!

the score is...
Suzuki dealer - ZERO , Me - ONE!

so to sum up how it got fixed was to take out the fuel pump, clean it out with WD40 while tapping on it with a rubber mallet (make sure it will power up when hooked directly to power), drain the gas and replace with new gas, check all wires and plugs for good connections, check FP relay, and DONT FRY the ECU in the mean time!

hope my learning experience will help someone else out on gixxer.com, definately learned a lot while surfing this forum, ...positive people!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
suzukibyker
Squid

Hello mate,

Just wanted to say thanks for actually putting details of a success on here for this.

I've been having all sorts of dramas with the same thing on my K2 600, have put threads on here but had no answers that really helped either and the ecu is now my last option really.

If you get a sec can you check out my threads for similarities and differences?

Thanks

Dave
suzukibyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by /\G View Post
UPDATE: PROBLEM FIXED!!! --- got a used ECU off ebay lastnight, plugged it in and the fuel pump primed, no FI codes came on and bike started right up!!!

the score is...
Suzuki dealer - ZERO , Me - ONE!

so to sum up how it got fixed was to take out the fuel pump, clean it out with WD40 while tapping on it with a rubber mallet (make sure it will power up when hooked directly to power), drain the gas and replace with new gas, check all wires and plugs for good connections, check FP relay, and DONT FRY the ECU in the mean time!

hope my learning experience will help someone else out on gixxer.com, definately learned a lot while surfing this forum, ...positive people!
glad to hear it got fixed. i wonder how the dealer checked your ECU? if you shake it and it doesnt rattle than the ECU is good?
600k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
SoGone12
Novice

Motorcycle: 2004 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
glad to hear it got fixed. i wonder how the dealer checked your ECU? if you shake it and it doesnt rattle than the ECU is good?
YES YES YES!! good to hear you got it fixed but I'm wondering the same thing as far as them checking the ECU! lol I wanna get mine checked before buying a used one off ebay/craigslist. My 04 600 is doing the same thing. I think the ECU is preventing my FP from sending fuel to my fuel rail

I'd LOVE to find out that my ECU is the problem!
SoGone12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
/\G
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGone12 View Post
YES YES YES!! good to hear you got it fixed but I'm wondering the same thing as far as them checking the ECU! lol I wanna get mine checked before buying a used one off ebay/craigslist. My 04 600 is doing the same thing. I think the ECU is preventing my FP from sending fuel to my fuel rail

I'd LOVE to find out that my ECU is the problem!
when took my ECU to the dealer to get it tested I talked to the two mechanics out back in the repair garage. I told them what was going on my bike to see if i could get some free advice .... they couldnt think of anything? but he did test my ecu for free... he first probed it with a voltmeter for a couple seconds and then brought inside to hook it up to their "computer system" whatever that means??.. he told me it was functioning properly.. even tho it was the problem.

i got my used ECU off ebay for $95 shipped and figured if it didnt work i would just put it right back on ebay for the same price... so you really cant loose out.. just lost time and effort
Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
04gixxer599
Squid

I am having the same problem. No priming of fuel pump. I had taken the gas tank off to clean the inside of if. Full of rust. I took pump off cause it was covered in rust. Used clr and tapped it a cpl times. Reinstalled it and had no power. It will not prime. I did put the paperclip in the socket to pull the dealer code. I first put the clip in the wrong holes. It burned the connection to the recgifier.i spliced new connections. Still will crank but will not prime. I ordered anoyher ecu a cpl days ago and am waiting on it. Darn slow usps... What are the cjances my fuel pump is bad? What are the chances my problem will be fixed with a new ecu? Please help i really wanna ride....
04gixxer599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
04gixxer599
Squid

Ordered a new ecu and it did not fix my problem. Errrrrr someone help!!
04gixxer599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
LexusGSXR231
Back Marker

Motorcycle: K5 GSXR 600

get a new fuel pump.
LexusGSXR231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
/\G
Squid

remove your fuel pump from the gas tank and try to see if the pump will turn on with power applied to it.. i did this by connecting jumper cables to my car battery and touching the positive and negative ends on the fuel pump. while doing this I shot WD40 into the pump and tapped on the pump with a rubber mallet to help free-up the pump if it was frozen. When power is applied to the pump you WILL be able to tell if it is functioning. Try this before you buy a new pump or other parts that may not be broken for that matter.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #18
gixx3r86
Squid

Any body have ideas why a fuel pump won't stop priming, put 2 new relays in and everything is hooked up right and no stuck open injector it's an 01 750
gixx3r86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #19
TheGeek
Stupid. Who's with me?

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & Million Edition 1000

Are you sure it's hooked up right? I mean you did just post in a two year old thread for a completely different model..... you sure you know how to pay attention to detail?
TheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #20
gixx3r86
Squid

I didn't ask for asshole comment, don't matter how old the thread is, I asked a fuel pump question if you don't know then don't say anything
gixx3r86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement