Determining engine size on GSXR : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Silentreyn
Squid

Exclamation Determining engine size on GSXR

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums. I recently purchased an '02 GSX-R600 Telefonica MoviStar and was told by the guy that he had put a 750 engine in it. I honestly wasn't really worried about whether it was a 600 or a 750 so I just took his word for it. I only paid $3500 for the bike and it's in great condition. Unfortunately it was throwing a "check FI" so I did the paper clip method of putting it in dealer mode and found out it's a c28 which is secondary throttle valve actuator. Anyway, I need to know what throttle bodies to purchase and this is where I need to care about what size the engine is lol. Does anyone know how to determine what size the engine is? There should be a VIN number or cc size on it shouldn't there? If so, where might that be located? Thanks guys!

Last edited by Silentreyn; 06-07-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Silentreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
JetBlast
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager

Re: Determining engine size on GSXR

the VIN should be able to tell you. i dont know if there are vin decoders online for motorcycles. btw its an FI light, not F1. thats twice in a week someone posted that up
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Lean With It
!##NULL##!

are you sure you are reading the right code for your bike? The 2ndary Tbody valve actuator was on the 1000's I though...

There may be a stamp on the block just inside the fairing on the rider's right or left side. Peek in and see.
Lean With It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Silentreyn
Squid

I'm almost positive that that is what the problem is. I did a little research online about it and that's what it's saying. I'll take a look and see if I can find that stamp. Thanks
Silentreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
phillipse
Rookie

Motorcycle: K4 GSX-R750

I'm unsure about this, but maybe you could inspect the STVA for cracks in solder. Just open it up, what do you have to lose?
phillipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2

you can take the plates out of the stva and get a bypass. i have one and it works great.

check this:
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277561
600k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
coopgt1
Rectum Rupticus

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean With It View Post
are you sure you are reading the right code for your bike? The 2ndary Tbody valve actuator was on the 1000's I though...

There may be a stamp on the block just inside the fairing on the rider's right or left side. Peek in and see.
Wrong oh about the C28 . And the engine has the vin stamped on the back of the tranny . You can see it looking at the rear shock area from the chain side .
coopgt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Lean With It
!##NULL##!

hence and "peek"
Lean With It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #9
SVS
drunk texts OG and Oldfart

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
the VIN should be able to tell you. i dont know if there are vin decoders online for motorcycles.
Not if the engine has been changed - which the previous owner says it has

As far as I remember the engine capacity is stamped onto the rear of the block but it can be hard to see. Otherwise check the oil capacity on the right engine cover (can't remember the exact numbers but they are different between the 600 and 750 and can easily be looked up).
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement