Where is the fuel pressure regulator ?? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum > 05-06 GSX-R1000

Old 05-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
eekoog
Squid

Motorcycle: 1988 GSX-R 1100
Where is the fuel pressure regulator ??

Hi people,

I just bought a 2006 gixxer fuel pump because i am going the EFI way on my 1988 gixxer 1100.

I have '01 gixxer 750 throttle bodies and a microsquirt ECU.

I wanted to know if the fuel pump of the '06 gixxer 1000 has the fuel pressure regulator built in, or if it is somewhere else down the fuel pipes, towards the ITB's.

Thanks guys
eekoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
MAD_ARAB
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: A revamped K6 liter
Re: Where is the fuel pressure regulator ??

The 05-06 1k doesn't use a bypass style fuel system.
MAD_ARAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
eekoog
Squid

Hi,

What do you mean exactly ? That there isn't any fuel return line in the system ?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2

if there is no fuel return line then the regulator is on the pump in the tank. if there is a return line there is a regulator on the fuel rail.

do you have the new fuel pump yet? you should be able to easily pickout the regulator on it.
600k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
MAD_ARAB
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: A revamped K6 liter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekoog View Post
Hi,

What do you mean exactly ? That there isn't any fuel return line in the system ?
Exactly. There is only 1 line from the tank to the fuel rail.
MAD_ARAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
BillV
Club Racer

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

It's at the top of the pump. Get the service manual and look at page 5-2. There's other information about the pump in chapter 5 so you're almost certain to need it sooner or later.

Last edited by BillV; 05-08-2011 at 02:37 PM.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
eekoog
Squid

Thank you guys, that's double good news : that means only one fuel line, so a tidyer setup under the tank, and also that i won't have to buy an expensive aftermarket FPR (at least for the moment, that's another story when i'll go supercharged...)

Although i looked for the manuals on the site but didn't find them.. Somebody know where they are hidden ?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #8
BillV
Club Racer

Here among other places.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
eekoog
Squid

Thanks again.. OK i had a look at the part diagram and service manual : turned out the FPR is indeed on the pump, at the top of it precisely. Perfect for me.

Thank you all for quick and accurate answers !
Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #10
Niko-the-novice
Squid

Motorcycle: 2k6 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_ARAB View Post
The 05-06 1k doesn't use a bypass style fuel system.
New to this site and bikes. U guys seem to have a lot of insightful insight up on here. So here goes mines. I got an 06 gsxr 600, changed the fuel tank and with it the fuel pump. New pump connects fine expect there's one extra hose with nothing on the new fuel pump to connect it to like it WAS connected on the old pump...which, like an idiot I gave away before I even got the new pump. Left over hose goes to this canister that sits to the left of passenger seat and would be covered by the fairing, was told it might be a "fuel pressure regulator" or some sort of emissions evaporate type thing??? But the stock fuel pump don't have no connection for this line...does it need to be hooked up? Or should I try to find a model fuel pump that was modified towhees this line should be connected? Thankful for any and all advice.
Niko-the-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
BillV
Club Racer

On the K5/K6 1000s there's an extra line that runs from the tank to the carbon canister on the Calif. (E-33) models. You can sort of see it on 10-22 of the service manual. Thus the E-33 models have a different tank, gas cap, and throttle body as well as the carbon canister and related plumbing. The fuel pump is not involved. If you change the tank on an E-33 model you need to get an E-33 replacement tank or you're going to end up with a bastardized result. I don't know for sure but am guessing that it's the same on your 600. Look at a 600 manual (or your old tank).

I'm not sure of this but I think that the makeup air to the tank needed when gas is pumped out comes from the throttle body, through the canister, up to and through the gas cap. So installing a non-E-33 tank on an E-33 bike with no other changes may create a situation where there's no makeup air and eventually either starve the pump or collapse the tank. Possibly there's some sort of safety relief to prevent this but the manual doesn't provide much information about exactly what's going on.

Last edited by BillV; 03-30-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
Niko-the-novice
Squid

Motorcycle: 2k6 gsxr 600

Billv, awesome man, got me on the rite track. Evap emissions charcoal can filter, and yea, is used to emit vapors and release pressure when vapors heat up and change in pressure arises. U kno yur stuff bro, and it help. Alot like a jackass I had gave my original tank AND pump away before even getting the new tank and pump....didn't think there'd be a difference. Now I know. He has momentarily vacated to the jail system so can't get that old pump back....any ideal where I mite can find the proper replacement pump? Every one on eBay just has fuel pump that has no hose connection for evap. I'm guessing that's the more so, Cali standard version. And yur rite the 600 is the same as the 1000 in this case. Thanx again bro, o yea, if u know of a place I mite can go, please feel me in.
Niko-the-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
BillV
Club Racer

Quote:
any ideal where I mite can find the proper replacement pump
No. The pumps are the same. It's the tanks that are different. Unfortunately few ebay tank listings include pics of the underside where you can see the hose connections. You really need a Calif. source. You might give MDG Racing a call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement