Rough Idle..Engine Cuts? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 08-10 GSX-R600/750

Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
dex_911
Novice

Motorcycle: GSXR-750 k9
Rough Idle..Engine Cuts?

Hey guys,
I am hoping one of you guys can help me out here. I have a K9 GSXR-750 with 13,000km on it. I bought it brand new. Anyway, lately, she has been idling very rough. After I start it up, the idle drops to below 1000rpms and cuts out, and its making this god awful spluttering sound like its really strugglung to stay started! - This is usually the first attempt I try to start it. When I try again, she actually wont start at all unless I give her a little throttle and force her to rev at 2000 or so.

The only crazy thing is, is that some days she will start up fine and idle really well, and others, she does exactly as I described above. Every time I call a mechanic, they are unsure what the problem is, as it never seems to be doing it when I take it to them!

Anyway, after keeping the throttle engaged for 5 minutes or so, I might be lucky and she idles at a very low 900rpms and sounds like she is on the brink of cutting out. Taking her out on the roads can be become quite dangerous because she wont idle. As soon as I hold in the clutch to stop at a set of lights, she will cut out. So I always have to have the throttle engaged.

She is my daily commute so the bike is never sitting there for more than 24 hours. What the hell is going on? Is it an issue with the ISC valve? Something else?

Anyone have an ideas or in the same boat?

Thanks!
dex
dex_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Classic Boosting
Squid

Motorcycle: '08 Suzuki GSX-R 600
Re: Rough Idle..Engine Cuts?

I really hate to reply without any solution to give you but I've got the exact same issue and of course, when I took it to the dealer (still under warranty) to get it diagnosed, they couldn't recreate the issue. Which, of course, was bound to happen. lol.

Except mine clears up after it warms up. But I have the same issue in terms of the rough start up that requires me holding the throttle until it clears up which usually lasts until the bike reaches about 105 degrees operating temperature.

Hope to see some feedback soon about this.

Good luck!

-Nick-
Classic Boosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
Samantha750

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM

Adjust idle, clogged injectors, go into dealer mode and check the TPS position or even not strong enough charge on your battery and/or download a copy of the service manual.

Here is some info on causes from the service manual:

Engine idles poorly

Valve clearance out of adjustment. Adjust.
Poor seating of valve. Replace or repair.
Defective valve guide. Replace.
Worn down camshaft. Replace.
Too wide spark plug gap. Adjust or replace.
Defective ignition coil/plug cap. Replace.
Defective CKP sensor. Replace.
Defective ECM. Replace.
Defective TP sensor. Replace.
Defective fuel pump. Replace.
Imbalanced throttle valve. Adjust.
Damaged or cranked vacuum hose. Replace.
Damaged or clogged ISC valve. Repair or replace.
ISC incorrect learning. Reset learned value.

Download your free service manual- http://www.servicemanualsgsxr.com/

Last edited by Samantha750; 04-28-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Samantha750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
rraiderr
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Stretched and slammed Busa

There are sevral posts about this, most points to the ISC.
rraiderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
dex_911
Novice

Thanks for the feedback guys. I suppose I shall I take it to the dealer and ask them to perform checks on the list Sam provided and replace any parts under warranty.

Shame I have to get so much trouble and time wasted with this, considering she is just about brand new too. - Probably a good time to be eying that beautiful new red and black R1
Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Ceiling Cat
Don't Mind Me - Just Snoopin' Around

Motorcycle: 2012 Hayabusa (SOLD) - 2013 Harley Davidson Road King

I'm still waiting on dealer to get back with me on the parts they need to replace possible vacuum leaks on the intake valve.

If that fixes my issue, I will definitely post about it.
Ceiling Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
NEMES1Sx1st
Rookie

Location: CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES.. message me and let's go for a ride!
Motorcycle: 2008 GSX-R 600, 1988 RGV-250, 2004 SV650, 2005 SV650, 2004 Honda Cbr600, 2007 Yamaha R6

when starting up your bike is there any temperature at all shown in the gauge or do you have to warm up the bike prior to seeing any numbers come up?

Is your bike having the same problem/rough idle to a stall during hot weather or does this happen only when its cold or hasn't been started in a while say 2-3 days.

the thing with our bike is that there is NO choke it's all electronically controlled
there was a recall recently for certain 08-09 gsxr's between can't think of the actual vin number but between *** number -*** number with faulty rectifiers/ rectifers being your distributor or alternator...you might want to look into that recall and see if your bike falls in that category.

once again not the solution but might be your problem

posted the recall link at the bottom. also if you didn't receive a letter from suzuki give them a call the number is in that link

Last edited by NEMES1Sx1st; 04-29-2011 at 10:58 PM.
NEMES1Sx1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
NEMES1Sx1st
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2008 GSX-R 600, 1988 RGV-250, 2004 SV650, 2005 SV650, 2004 Honda Cbr600, 2007 Yamaha R6

http://www.motorcycleaddicts.org/suz...torcycles.html
Old 05-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
dex_911
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMES1Sx1st View Post
when starting up your bike is there any temperature at all shown in the gauge or do you have to warm up the bike prior to seeing any numbers come up?

Is your bike having the same problem/rough idle to a stall during hot weather or does this happen only when its cold or hasn't been started in a while say 2-3 days.

the thing with our bike is that there is NO choke it's all electronically controlled
there was a recall recently for certain 08-09 gsxr's between can't think of the actual vin number but between *** number -*** number with faulty rectifiers/ rectifers being your distributor or alternator...you might want to look into that recall and see if your bike falls in that category.

once again not the solution but might be your problem

posted the recall link at the bottom. also if you didn't receive a letter from suzuki give them a call the number is in that link
Hi mate, thanks for the reply.

My bike was involved in the recent recall and I got the part changed. It's still happening..and regarding cold starts, this is the weird thing. Today she started up perfectly fine and its 10 degrees outside. Yesterday, same temperature..she stalled and sounds awful. As I mentioned, she gets ridden everyday, so she is never sitting for more than 24 hours, and temperature doesn't affect it what so ever. Same thing has happened in 30 degree weather (Celsius)

I haven't taken it to be checked again yet, just no time or money. But this will be the last time. I will combine these checks with a full bike service and if the problem persists it will be good bye GSXR
Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
NEMES1Sx1st
Rookie

good luck sorry you couldnt find your solution
Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Ceiling Cat
Don't Mind Me - Just Snoopin' Around

Motorcycle: 2012 Hayabusa (SOLD) - 2013 Harley Davidson Road King

Since we have multiple threads, I'll copy and paste everything into all of the threads.

The dealership said the vacuum leak in the intake wasn't the issue. He said it's actually choking itself by giving TOO much fuel in the mix. You can smell it. One of the sensors is overcompensating on a cold start and leaning the mixture out too much.

Sooo... they're ordering a new Idle Control Sensor and some other sensor ( the one that controls the air/fuel mix at idle ).

I'll get the name of the other sensor from him later. As usual, I'll update in a week or two once he gets the parts in. For now at least I have my bike back and can ride again, just have to deal with that issue for another week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerVixxen View Post
aka: the dolphin. b/c you're going along, things are great then you pop it in the wrong hole and she goes "eeee EEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ...you know. like a dolphin...
Ceiling Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
rraiderr
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Stretched and slammed Busa

Not sure why the did not go with the ICS to begin with.

Make sure they connect the SDS and reset the ICS when they replace it.

Thanks for the heads up and let us know what the other sensor is they replace.
rraiderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:22 AM   #13
NEMES1Sx1st
Rookie

whatever rraider says listen to it! it's always great advice lol
Old 05-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
deviot
Squid

im having the same problem did anyone figure out waht the issue was?
deviot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
Arnomardi
Lifetime Premium

One or couple of spark plugs might be bad. Change all 4 and make sure you get the iridium plugs from the dealer.
Arnomardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement