Front brake pad life expectancy : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 01-03 600 and 00-03 750

Old 04-19-2004, 11:57 PM   #1
QPeat
Novice

Front brake pad life expectancy

How long do our factory brake pads last on average for a street driven 01 750..I have 5k on my bike and they have been making noise for awhile but the past few days has sounded different..I tried to check the pad by looking from the bottom and from what I can see they look good but I cant see 100% of all 4 pads..I really don't want to ruin the rotors, but then again I may be over reacting..Any tips would be greatly appriciated..
QPeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 12:12 AM   #2
JDGixxer
Rookie

Motorcycle: JDGixxer
Re: Front brake pad life expectancy

Mine always made noise up till like 10k u are overreacting. unless u do alot of stop and go driving and alot of hard stops i think u can probably get like 12k out of your stock pads i got 22k and mine were 3/4 gone but i do alot of highway driving.
JDGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:33 AM   #3
GIXXERUK
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: GIXXERUK

take the dust cover off the back and take a proper look , there should be a cut out (wear indicator ) in the middle of the pad, when it goes below this then you should change them

you will normally hear a ssussh noise where the pads are dragging slightly on the disc , this is normal , the dust seals on the pistons dont allow them to fully go back into the caliper (a lot of racers remove these to gain extra speed but they rebuild most races)

but with 5k you should be fine but i would check them, the other possibility is you have a stone or something trapped between the pad and disc , really depends on what sort of noise you're talking about

cheers

paul
GIXXERUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:26 AM   #4
devenwood
Rookie

Just look at your brake fluid reservoir. As your pads wear down, so does the fluid level. Once you replace your pads, fluid level will rise back to top. Never top off your brake fluid and you'll know where your pad level is.
devenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
QPeat
Novice

The noise is not the pads dragging but occours while I am braking..First it was squeaking and now I get a grinding noise and even vibrations at low speed braking sometimes..Thanks for the replies,I will try to check it out..
QPeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #6
SkizitGSXR
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000: Z.G. DB Windscreen, HotBodies Undertail Fender Eliminator, Sato Frame Sliders & Spool Sliders, ASV Levers, Yosh TriOval Carbon Dual Tip slip, PCIIIusb, BMC , Driven 45t & 520 chain, Gilles rearsets, Spiegler SS lines

I have 15k miles on mine..and the wear marks are still well within operable ranges. I downshift a lot instead of relying totally on brakes to stop. Just did the rear, though.

-Jay
SkizitGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:06 AM   #7
Zuka750
Rookie

Motorcycle: Zuka750

i would just change the brake pads if over 7,000. the oem brake pad material sucks anyways and you will like the feel of newer aftermarket pads such as ebc,galfer, pf's
if you dont change them at least visually inspect them by taking them out and cleaning them off with brake cleaner and to make sure that they are not wearing unevenly or glazed that would make it squeal.
Zuka750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement