Seriously, you dont need expensive tires on the street : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 11-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
treyZ28
HEY GUYS! I'M A LAWYER AND AN ENGINEER!! SRSLY, LOOK AT ME! a lawyer AND an engineer!!!

Seriously, you dont need expensive tires on the street

First off, I in no way claim to be a good rider. In fact, this video would almost certainly serve as an example of things not to do than things to do. I suck, no doubt about it.

I want to make a point- you don't need super grippy tires on the street. I was riding on regular old Diablos. They were cold (you see me pulling out of the pits) with no tire warmers on a 70 degree day about after 8 hours after it rained. The tires probably have about 100 laps on them and they are about 80% gone. They aren't even getting tear on them. The bike is, outside tires, a bone stock 2008 CBR 1000RR.

This pace is about 10 seconds off my best and I've NEVER had the tires slip on me or even feel like they were slipping. While I am far from anything resembling fast on the track, this is harder than 99.99% of street-only riders CAN ride and harder than almost anyone should ride on the street.

Also, I'd like to point out that the camera is a bit crooked, so it makes it look like I'm leaning a bit harder to the left than I am and bit less when I lean right. I'm down to about 1/8th" chicken strip in the front IIRC.

Obviously, if you do track days with your street bike, that's a totally different story. If you don't do track days, and especially if you've never dont track days or very few, your hyper sticky tires are worthless.

treyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
bikedude135
Rookie

Motorcycle: 07 gix 600, 08 z1000
Re: Seriously, you dont need expensive tires on the street

word.

i run $180/set conti sport touring rubber and it holds just fine.
bikedude135 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
njyork42
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 05 GSXR 750

I run power pures on the street. I also ride harder than I should on the street, but in my defense, we have some pretty killer roads an I have no kids or woman at home waiting on me. Depending on the road, my tires look like they just came off the track at times. Its the only thing between me and the ground (depending on the corner).. so I don't mind paying for better tires.
njyork42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
njyork42
!##NULL##!

On another note... that track looks sketchy..
Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
rraiderr
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Stretched and slammed Busa

Iuhutch ran the piss out of the stock 016 rubber at the track on a 091K and turned competitive times without any close calls.
rraiderr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
treyZ28
HEY GUYS! I'M A LAWYER AND AN ENGINEER!! SRSLY, LOOK AT ME! a lawyer AND an engineer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njyork42 View Post
I run power pures on the street. I also ride harder than I should on the street, but in my defense, we have some pretty killer roads an I have no kids or woman at home waiting on me. Depending on the road, my tires look like they just came off the track at times. Its the only thing between me and the ground (depending on the corner).. so I don't mind paying for better tires.
You're literally 1 out of 1000. I know a bunch of guys that run that hard in the mountains, but they're all very experienced track riders and/or former racers.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
njyork42
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyZ28 View Post
You're literally 1 out of 1000. I know a bunch of guys that run that hard in the mountains, but they're all very experienced track riders and/or former racers.
If I could get more track days under my belt and out of school so I can afford it, I would really like to try racing, but I know I am not ready for that yet. A whole lot of things change when you go from an 8 foot wide lane with gravel and crap on the edges of the road, to lanes where spots are up to 40 foot wide. Lines come into play more, and I know I haven't done it enough to be fast on the track... but I will push the bike hard down a twisty back road. I would imagine that more than 1 out of a 1000 people truly do push their bike on the streets. One guy I ride with more than anyone else does all the time, as well, but that doesn't really help my case since he used to race.. although that was back in like 93. I'm not a street only rider, but I ride street a lot as a broke college kid. Hoping to change that in the spring.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
d207gp
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face

Motorcycle: '06 G1K, '08 CBR1000RR

I've been running a set of BT-021's (yes, the sport-touring tires) on my K6 & they handle the power of a literbike just fine, thank you. Tread is worn edge to edge.

Last edited by d207gp; 11-22-2010 at 11:44 AM.
d207gp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
CaspARRR
Ask me about Thermodynamics

Motorcycle: Honda CBR1000RR Superstock race bike

I really hate when people start with this "you can't use race parts on the street and you need to be a pro to take advantage of what they can do".
You don't NEED sticky tires on the street, but I have been able to make normal street tires slide on the street, and depending on how and where you ride you will need some kind of softer tire.

Agreed you don't NEED that kind of tire on the street, but whatsmore you can take advantage of what they can do on the street.

Sooner or later you are going to crash on those tires you are going to the track on, and believe me they are going to slide when you least expect it and it's going to be in the middle or out of the corner and I think you know where that will end.

Not using tire warmers will only make your tires wear faster and it will make the rubber harder since you are putting the rubber through a lot more heat cycles than it would have with warmers on it.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
Bunke10
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K3 GSX-R600

Quote:
If I could get more track days under my belt and out of school so I can afford it, I would really like to try racing, but I know I am not ready for that yet. A whole lot of things change when you go from an 8 foot wide lane with gravel and crap on the edges of the road, to lanes where spots are up to 40 foot wide. Lines come into play more, and I know I haven't done it enough to be fast on the track... but I will push the bike hard down a twisty back road. I would imagine that more than 1 out of a 1000 people truly do push their bike on the streets. One guy I ride with more than anyone else does all the time, as well, but that doesn't really help my case since he used to race.. although that was back in like 93. I'm not a street only rider, but I ride street a lot as a broke college kid. Hoping to change that in the spring.
werent you the one that questioned me "pushing my bike on public roads" on that buying my first bike on monday thread?
Bunke10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
njyork42
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunke10 View Post
werent you the one that questioned me "pushing my bike on public roads" on that buying my first bike on monday thread?
No..that was another guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by six4three5 View Post
I'm curious, do you ride your 600 the way it was "meant" to be ridden on public roads?
Quote:
It wasn't directed at me, and doesn't help my case, but yes. But I am also a little

Last edited by njyork42; 11-22-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
Bunke10
Club Racer

Ohhhhhhh now i see what you were saying. I thought everyone was about to start bashing me for riding hard on the street.

Anyway back on topic.... I just ordered some Pilot Road 2's. I'd be amazed if they can't handle street riding like I'm about to put them through
Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
njyork42
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Ohhhhhhh now i see what you were saying. I thought everyone was about to start bashing me for riding hard on the street.

Anyway back on topic.... I just ordered some Pilot Road 2's. I'd be amazed if they can't handle street riding like I'm about to put them through
You've only been riding 3 months. Plus with cold weather, its not a bad idea as they should heat up quicker.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:22 AM   #14
Bunke10
Club Racer

Quote:
You've only been riding 3 months. Plus with cold weather, its not a bad idea as they should heat up quicker.
Only 3 months on the street. Been riding dirt my whole life. I know how to handle a motorcycle pretty well and like you...I'm a little on the crazy side
Old 11-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #15
njyork42
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Only 3 months on the street. Been riding dirt my whole life. I know how to handle a motorcycle pretty well and like you...I'm a little on the crazy side
Street is what I was referring to. I'm not too crazy.. Just like to push myself and hope I don't end up dead. Life is short anyway though. Keep the shiny side up.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 AM   #16
SpeederT
Loves Grammas Gum Jobs

Motorcycle: FACK, I sold my supermoto.

I do not feel that EVERYONE needs to visit the track to be a good rider and benefit from a good tire on their sport bike. Granted would cut down on the time one needs to learn good riding skills etc,but learning is half the fun. At 35 years of seat time on the street I continue to become a better rider every time a leg is thrown over,refining my skills and or learning something new. Do I need a super sticky tire on the street?...not really but want one with good grip and feed back that is consistent in it's performance.
SpeederT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #17
treyZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-Coffee View Post
I really hate when people start with this "you can't use race parts on the street and you need to be a pro to take advantage of what they can do".
You don't NEED sticky tires on the street, but I have been able to make normal street tires slide on the street, and depending on how and where you ride you will need some kind of softer tire.

Agreed you don't NEED that kind of tire on the street, but whatsmore you can take advantage of what they can do on the street.

Sooner or later you are going to crash on those tires you are going to the track on, and believe me they are going to slide when you least expect it and it's going to be in the middle or out of the corner and I think you know where that will end.

Not using tire warmers will only make your tires wear faster and it will make the rubber harder since you are putting the rubber through a lot more heat cycles than it would have with warmers on it.
I think they've got one more track day in them and I'm either stepping up to the 2CTs I already have or a true trackday tire.

You don't need tire warmers on street tires. That's just silly. I just take it easy on the first lap and they're plenty warm. Street tires heat cycle just fine. They're designed to do that.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
used2Bfast
Rookie

Motorcycle: 07 750

More 1 out of 1000 guys here Heres a quick vid from just yesterday..(typical late Fall day at the gap), that shows a couple locals going by. First rider(red-me) goes by on reg ol Q2s. 2nd rider(blue-good friend) on med compound 211 Ntecs. And, a truck added(rolling chicane) in-between just to confirm its street riding haha. The middle slow moving rider is me again, since upon going by, I saw some peeps on this pulloff and turned around. This is close to the end(if going away from camera) of a 9 mile 270-turn pass, taking about 10 minutes per pass. Actually pretty hard on tires, and AMA spec DOTs or even slicks are commonly found on local's bikes(I'm on my 12th set of tires this season alone. But I ride this road just about everyday, sans winter of course).

"I've breathed the mountain air, man"-Johnny Cash

"Belief is the enemy of truth" -dunno
used2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #19
treyZ28

Yup, you guys are far from the norm and venture to guess most of you 1 in 1000 riders actually have track time None of you are asking "which tires should I get!!!!!" which is who this was really addressed to anyway.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #20
njyork42
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyZ28 View Post
I think they've got one more track day in them and I'm either stepping up to the 2CTs I already have or a true trackday tire.
I would just run the 2cts you already have. Its an awesome tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by used2Bfast View Post
More 1 out of 1000 guys here Heres a quick vid from just yesterday..(typical late Fall day at the gap), that shows a couple locals going by. First rider(red-me) goes by on reg ol Q2s. 2nd rider(blue-good friend) on med compound 211 Ntecs. And, a truck added(rolling chicane) in-between just to confirm its street riding haha. The middle slow moving rider is me again, since upon going by, I saw some peeps on this pulloff and turned around. This is close to the end(if going away from camera) of a 9 mile 270-turn pass, taking about 10 minutes per pass. Actually pretty hard on tires, and AMA spec DOTs or even slicks are commonly found on local's bikes(I'm on my 12th set of tires this season alone. But I ride this road just about everyday, sans winter of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH_AHUFWa-U
Nice vid. I see you got your bike back together. I was wanting to come up there this weekend.. I may be back up wednesday or thursday for a while. After I graduate, I am definitely moving closer so as long as I am able to land a job around knoxville.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in