Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

bike dies at red light...electrical problem? Help Please!!

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  gsxr750#3489 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Today while waiting at red light, within 6 seconds my bike "died", seems like electrical problem or the battery because the speedo-dash did the "reset check" like when you first insert the key in the ignition (the rpm needle would go to 0 then bounce back to 16k rpm then back to 0). It did all this while the motor was still on. Then the motor would shut off.

I restarted the bike right away because I was in the middle of traffic. Then I tried to ride the bike back home so I can check it out, but within 1 mile when I stopped at another stop light, the same thing happened. Then I pushed the bike to a gas station trying to restart it, but the bike seems like there is no battery even to show the dash display.

So I waited about 3 minutes under the shade and the bike cranked up again. I rode home (17 miles) no trouble. Then I tried to replicate the problem, but cant.

Could it be my 4 yr old battery because I had my highbeam on and the bike was idling at redlight and the alternator cant power the bike?

Is it even possible for the bike to shut off while it was idling?

Engine temp around 170 F
2006 Gixxer 600 8800 miles
Bike sat in the sun for 5 hrs
90 degrees
Battery 4 years old
No FI light
Had my high beam on with low beam
Bike was idling normal

Thanks for the read and possible help!!

See less See more
#2 ·
My guess would be stator or battery, I had a similar problem a couple of days ago. Put the battery on a slow charge, and its been ok so far. Maybe someone else can chime in here

#7 ·
Well, if u want to quit speculating. Grab a multimeter and a service manual and go through the charging system checks to see if ur stator is actually charging the battery.

#8 ·
this happened to me bro.. after a ride to the twisty's and back to the gas station.. i turned the bike off.. when i was ready to head back home.. it wouldnt start.. so i had a push start from a guy sitting there... rode home fine.. turned it off. and it wouldnt start.. next morning it started up fine.. but when i went to take it to the storage unit a block away from home. it shut off. soo i replaced the battery that day.. it rode fine.. for a few days.. then did the same dam thing.. took it to the shop. and it was the regulator rectifier. 311$ out of my pocket..

#10 ·
yea ive had this problem with my bike. I figured it was battery looseing power when my time on the guage was a hour behind like it had lost power. i did have leds hooked up and i was wondering if they were some how drawing power constintly so i disconnected them and its ran fine since(bout 3 weeks) so im going with it for now. if it comes up again ill replace my battery 1st and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.