removing keyed iginition switch on K6 GSXR 1000 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum > 05-06 GSX-R1000

Old 07-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
crazymofo
Squid

removing keyed iginition switch on K6 GSXR 1000

gday folks,

ive been doing some reading on the topic (using the search), im aware of what wires i need to cut and join to make it work, but living in australia, im pretty sure the bike is coded....meaning the key, and ecu are "paired"

now im trying to eliminate the ignition barrel on my racebike, and run it thru a rocker switch located in a place where it wont get smashed off in a crash. but as far as i can read, it wont work because i need a coded key to make it work. does anyone have an idea to eliminate the ignition barrel and key on my "coded" bike?

cheers.joe.
crazymofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
T.R.E
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: GSX-R 1000 K7
Re: removing keyed iginition switch on K6 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymofo View Post
gday folks,

ive been doing some reading on the topic (using the search), im aware of what wires i need to cut and join to make it work, but living in australia, im pretty sure the bike is coded....meaning the key, and ecu are "paired"

now im trying to eliminate the ignition barrel on my racebike, and run it thru a rocker switch located in a place where it wont get smashed off in a crash. but as far as i can read, it wont work because i need a coded key to make it work. does anyone have an idea to eliminate the ignition barrel and key on my "coded" bike?

cheers.joe.

Buy an EM-PRO!
T.R.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Anthony D
Super Moderator

Motorcycle: None currently...

so basically what you are asking is how to steal a bike? i doubt you will get much help on that here...
Anthony D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
crazymofo
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
so basically what you are asking is how to steal a bike? i doubt you will get much help on that here...
lol fuck off,

i race my gsxr 1000...and as a matter of fact, ive just had a nasty crash on the thing, the key was bent in the ignition in the crash, so now i want to eliminate it, i havent stolen any bike, so get of your high horse and piss off.

cheers.joe.

PS. looks like i have to buy a non coded ecu... i think i'll just relocate the barrel to a safer location.
anthony D... you can still get fucked
Old 07-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
tookie
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 1000k6

nice try fuck knuckle
tookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
2cAnnons
Ether

Motorcycle: K6 1000

Quote:
lol fuck off,

i race my gsxr 1000...and as a matter of fact, ive just had a nasty crash on the thing, the key was bent in the ignition in the crash, so now i want to eliminate it, i havent stolen any bike, so get of your high horse and piss off.

cheers.joe.

PS. looks like i have to buy a non coded ecu... i think i'll just relocate the barrel to a safer location.
I dont think you can. can you flash the PCM with the us bin file and get around it?
2cAnnons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
Maj750
Rookie

They don't believe you Joe

US bin will not work, the ecu is different inside , US ecu will , but you need the std 100 ohm resistor fitted to the (currently) immobiliser wire , or do what the 4 wheel guys do when the fit busa engines and tape the key to the immobiliser and put it under the tank out of the way
Maj750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
RidgeRacer
Rookie

Motorcycle: '82 GPz550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj750 View Post
They don't believe you Joe

US bin will not work, the ecu is different inside , US ecu will , but you need the std 100 ohm resistor fitted to the (currently) immobiliser wire , or do what the 4 wheel guys do when the fit busa engines and tape the key to the immobiliser and put it under the tank out of the way

Have you tried putting a US bin in an AU ECU. I know the US bin works in the EU ECU and even ones in Asia and South Africa. I would really be surprised if the AU ECU hardware was unique. More likely something in the wire harness that needs to be changed. Did you try an EU bin? If it works you can always disable the immobilizer in the bin. There is a byte in the US and EU bin that you can use to set the anti-theft to Immobilizer, Resistor, or Disabled.
RidgeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
RidgeRacer
Rookie

BTW a note on the whole crooks trying to steal bikes issues.

As you can probably imagine I've been asked how to defeat the anti-theft a lot, probably more than any other guy, in forums, PMs and emails for years now. At first I was like prove what you say is true. They would email pics of themselves at the race track, and their drivers license photo and a scan of their title. Or they knew a shop owner that I knew who would vouch for them personally, etc etc.

In all that time you know how many bike thieves I caught trying to pull a fast one?

Not a single one. I have just been wasting my time and theirs. Besides how to defeat the EU immobilizer is already in the public domain on German, Italian and Russian bike forums. The US work around is on countless microsprint and race forums.

Believe me I hate bike thieves as much as the rest of you. When I lived in Phoenix on a block of all high density apartments these guys used to make the rounds every couple of months and snag half a dozen bikes in one night. I got hit three times on two different bikes. Luckily I had my bike locked to a steel I beam roof support with a cable the size of a garden hose but they still busted out my lock cylinder each time. There is no way you could approach the bike without tripping over the damn cable...it was like they were busting out my lock just because they were pissed they couldn't steal the bike.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Anthony D
Super Moderator

Motorcycle: None currently...

Quote:
lol fuck off,

cheers.joe.

Anthony D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
Maj750
Rookie

RR i tried the 06 1k US bin in the aussie bike and no joy but didn't think of the resistor at the time,used the EU/AU file and all is good..maybe there not the same as the busa as another time i tried the us busa bin in the aussie 08 busa , this time i tried a resistor, still no joy, , looked to me at the time that the immobiliser led on the aussie bike and the resistor on the US have very different functions for the same ecu pin and probably had a hardware difference . ???
Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
Maj750
Rookie

Joe if you want to express post 2 ways we can try it, or Petes Pitstop up your way can flash the 1k as well
Booster here if you haven't realised .
Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
RidgeRacer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj750 View Post
RR i tried the 06 1k US bin in the aussie bike and no joy but didn't think of the resistor at the time,used the EU/AU file and all is good..maybe there not the same as the busa as another time i tried the us busa bin in the aussie 08 busa , this time i tried a resistor, still no joy, , looked to me at the time that the immobiliser led on the aussie bike and the resistor on the US have very different functions for the same ecu pin and probably had a hardware difference . ???
There is no inherent hardware conflicts between the two functions. To turn on the LED you connect the ECU pin to a transistor that when on connects the pin to ground. When the transistor is off it is electrically invisible and has no affect on the pin. In Anti-Theft mode the pin is connected to an Analog Input channel that measure the voltage on the pin.

There is no conflict in connecting both these circuits to the same pin at the same time. When the LED driver transistor is off the analog circuit can measure the pin voltage. When the driver transistor is on the pin goes to ground potential, the LED turns on, and the analog input measures 0V

The software in Immobilizer mode just ignores the analog channel data, in resistor mode it never turns on the LED.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
Maj750
Rookie

Ok , not sure why i could not get a functioning ecu on the busa then as it showed an ign fault if flashed with the wrong files, gix was probably the lack of resistor
Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
crazymofo
Squid

finally constructive posts.

greg, it'll take you up on the offer as well,

times tight for my next race, but after that (aug 8th) i'll send the ecu your way to reflash. any chance you can re-tweak the fueling at all as well?

thank you to ridgeracer for your help as well.

cheers.joe.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #16
Maynard
Novice

Not sure what the whole coded key thing means.
I have a US 06 1000. I replaced the stock barrel with a universal 12volt 20amp keyed switch I got from NAPA. I relocated it to keyed hole in the tail section that opens the rear seat(trunk). Not a good spot for you if your trying to keep it safe from a crash.
All I had to do was run the resistor in line. works great.
AND I DIDN'T steal the bike. believe it or not.
What is this coded key thing and why are the not on US bikes?
Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #17
RidgeRacer
Rookie

Most non US bikes use a key with a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tag inside of them with a unique number for each bike. There is an antenna installed around the lock cylinder that transmits the radio waves to the RFID key and listens for the coded reply. If it doesn't get one the bike won't start.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #18
Maj750
Rookie

Joe i will have JoJo's bike here on the weekend i'll test and let you know that i'm doing it right
And don't leave it more than a week after the 8th as were heading back to Bonneville and gone for a month to pickup Bubs ,El mirage and World of Speed .
PM you here or on ASF to let you know how it worked.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #19
RidgeRacer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRacer View Post
There is no inherent hardware conflicts between the two functions. To turn on the LED you connect the ECU pin to a transistor that when on connects the pin to ground. When the transistor is off it is electrically invisible and has no affect on the pin. In Anti-Theft mode the pin is connected to an Analog Input channel that measure the voltage on the pin.

There is no conflict in connecting both these circuits to the same pin at the same time. When the LED driver transistor is off the analog circuit can measure the pin voltage. When the driver transistor is on the pin goes to ground potential, the LED turns on, and the analog input measures 0V

The software in Immobilizer mode just ignores the analog channel data, in resistor mode it never turns on the LED.
Actually on the GSXR the Immobilizer LED and Anti-Theft resistor input are not on the same pin.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
BillV
Club Racer

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Quote:
Actually on the GSXR the Immobilizer LED and Anti-Theft resistor input are not on the same pin.
That and the other differences in the wiring to the ignition switch had me assuming that the immobilizer and non-immobilizer ECM's were different in both hardware and software. But your above posts seem to say that the difference is software only. Can you definitively say as much? You say above that the non-immobilizer bin has been sucessfully put into an immobilizer ECM. Has the converse ever been tried, i.e. putting the immobilizer software into a non-immobilizer ECM?
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement