93 gsxr 750 won't idle, chugs and jerks at low speed with steady throttle : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > Water Cooled Gixxers

Old 07-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
gsxrgary
Squid

93 gsxr 750 won't idle, chugs and jerks at low speed with steady throttle

exactly as the title says, I just purchased the bike last week. It won't stay running on its own the "Idle knob"? does not appear to do anything when you turn it. At a low speed on steady throttle it seems to surge or jerk, but when you nail it, it goes fine. any tips?
gsxrgary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Sabba
Club Racer

Motorcycle: '89 CBR 600 (SOLD), '93 GSXR 750 (SOLD), '04 GSXR 600
Re: 93 gsxr 750 won't idle, chugs and jerks at low speed with steady throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrgary View Post
exactly as the title says, I just purchased the bike last week. It won't stay running on its own the "Idle knob"? does not appear to do anything when you turn it. At a low speed on steady throttle it seems to surge or jerk, but when you nail it, it goes fine. any tips?
Carb cleaning is in order. Check out the Oil-cooled's sticky "Understanding carbs" as a guide...any other q's we'd be glad to help you with...

Write down the jet sizes you find in there too for future reference...

Sabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
sdheli420
Novice

Motorcycle: 93'gsxr600w, 91'vfr750f, 96rf600r, lifan x18mini-gsxr110

mine did the same before i cleaned the carbs (also using seafoam in the gas)..helped alot, but i am still going to get the carbs sync'ed..get some sea foam..it will help
sdheli420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
gsxrgary
Squid

the idle knob does not appear to be hooked up though.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
sdheli420
Novice

Motorcycle: 93'gsxr600w, 91'vfr750f, 96rf600r, lifan x18mini-gsxr110

ooo..that can definatley cause an issue..double check all your connections ie. choke, idle ect ect..maybe one is really loose, or disconnected..i mean if its adding some choke to it unintentionally, that could cause sperattic power output..(not sure, just a thought)
sdheli420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Black.Lisle
Rookie

Motorcycle: 95 GSXR 1100W

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrgary View Post
the idle knob does not appear to be hooked up though.
Is it just hanging there under the carbs? Sounds like its been undone too far & needs to screwed back into place....
Black.Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
mdillon
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: 94 750

change those plugs too.
mdillon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
gsxrgary
Squid

well I took the carbs out cleaned them and found a large house fly stuck in the main jet of one of the carbs. It rides good but still seems to jerk violently when trying to go a steady slow speed. Also I found that the number 4 carbs diaphragm and slides were sticking causing the bike to stay at about 4500 rpm until you put it in a severely low gear to bring the vacuum down to lower the slide. all of that is fixed but the jerking is still a mystery to me. timing? valves? plugs? any suggestions?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
stockgp
Rookie

emulsion tube/needle wear?

seems to b e acommon problem with these bikes. mine is in the shop for that right now
stockgp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
mdillon
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: 94 750

hows the play in the throttle cables and throttle tube?
mdillon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
gsxrgary
Squid

carbs were like brand new on the inside, no wear at all on anything. looked as if they were gone through recently also(within the last few years.)
Old 07-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
Sabba
Club Racer

Motorcycle: '89 CBR 600 (SOLD), '93 GSXR 750 (SOLD), '04 GSXR 600

Just how low of speeds are you talking about?

My bike doesn't like steady throttle below 4000 rpm either...it starts jerking so I need to clutch in...I know my carbs are 100%, just completely redone this winter.

I always thought this was normal on these bikes seeing how they are meant for higher rpm operation, not a ton of slow "in town" riding...
Sabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
hardtail
Squid

Motorcycle: 1995 gsxr 750, 1978 gs1000e, 1984 gs550es, 1987 NX125, 1981xl500s, 1978 ct70, 1969 ct70, 1968 z50

Did you pull all diaphragms and remove needle jets and soak the carbs in Barreymans carb cleaner? A 1 gallon can is 20 bucks at auto-zone with a parts cleaner basket lasts forever just keep the lid on tight. After soaking each carb overnight blow out all passages with a can of carb cleaner or just compressed air. Now replacing broken gaskets and all o rings as needed (Ace Hardware) re-assemble all carbs and fill directly into the gas feed hose with carb cleaning solution till just before the needle and seat shuts down flow. Now plug all overflow lines and blow air through the gas fill line making sure air flows thru the needle and seat(ie. bowls not full to the top. Looking at the flow coming out make sure no carb has any plugged passages, if you find a plugged passage squirt more carb cleaner directly into the plugged passage until all carbs flow evenly. Now start with the # 2 carb and adjust its butterfly by eye, so its even with the #1 base carb. Go down the line like this making sure all carbs are close to opening at the same time. This is all that's needed for a free Sync! If its stock jets stock pipe and air box go stage 1 jet kit. Make sure the bike shop stocks the Float bowl gaskets. The jet kit will get rid of all hesitation, but will kill fuel milage!
Good luck
Hardtail
hardtail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
fdw412
Squid

Motorcycle: K7 GSXR 750

sounds like your bike was doing the same thing mine was. i thought it was an ignition problem. so i changed the spark plugs and as i was changing the #4 and #1 cylinder's wires i noticed the orange wire going to the coil would not stay on. so i bent the metal a bit so it would stay attached to the coil and i never had a problem from it since. try it on both coils and tell me what happens
fdw412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in