Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Rectifier Relocation with pics

24K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  kwaka10r 
#1 ·

The connector i got that plugs straight into factory connector from stator.

How I routed the leads going to the input side of the RR

Where i mounted the RR. I used a rubber tapered seal you get for like a sink as a washer so RR wont move because i could only use 1 of the factor holes where the set motor mounts.

Finished product.

Links-
http://www.easternbeaver.com/
http://eviltwinsbk.com/forumz/index.php?topic=276.0

See less See more
#3 ·
Whats the part number on the RR itself? Should be a fh00-- either a 12 or 08. If its something else you might want to look for a different RR like off a late model r1. What is ur charging issue exactly?

#6 ·
I know the SRADS were in the tail too, and they over heated and burned connectors..... a lot.

I also think the subframe is not as good a heat sink as the main frame...... especially with only one bolt holding it, and poses some risk too.

What is the point of moving it anyway? Just curious. Do what you do, I personally think it is a bad idea, they moved it to where it is for a reason I am sure since they used to be back there. :dunno. Might work fine though :dunno

#7 ·
Right next to the exhaust is suppose to be a cooler place to put it? Its also not a shunt rectifier the stock one is. Its a mosfet which as i understand is alot less prone to getting hot. I will try this maybe even put a 12v cpu fan on it.

Where the rectifier was i could never touch it with my bare hands ever sence i got the bike because it was way to hot.

#9 ·
Ok i took some temp readings. Where the stock RR sits i measured the temp of the surface where the RR sits against. I pulled my hand away at about 206 cause the fan was blowing very hot air on my hand. I then went to the rr in the tail section and messure on the back of the rr itself and was getting about 130.

#10 ·
But at speed, there is airflow where it was, there is not in the tail :dunno

Only time will tell :dunno

#13 ·
Id look into getting a 12aa. I seem to be having good results. I switched it to the other side and also wired in a 12dc heatsink fan that sits right on top of the fins to provide air flow. Also the left side has a flat surface to mount on and also uses the alum subframe as a big heatsink as alum dispates heat pretty well.

#14 ·
I replaced mine with the FH0012AA and tried it in the stock location, it was still getting as hot as the original. I decided to move it to a different location to see if it helped, not sure if has helped. I will post up some pics of the bracket I made and the location I moved it to. The Mosfet units with no load are cool to the touch and the stocker is about 80C idling, I am not sure of the temp when the FH is under load but the original was freakin hot.

cerp

#16 ·
Im having 0 heat issues with my rr in the tail section on the clutch side. The 12vdc fan im sure helps alot. Went on a long 2hr ride today and it was warm but not hot like it gets on the stock mount.

#21 ·
Still pretty close to the engine. but if it works it works. I can go and touch my rr with bare hands for hours if i wanted to after a 2hr ride where i have it mounted. It prolly doesn't get over 130.

#22 ·
Mines not bad but i think this winter i am going to relocate it into the tail section. I originally had it the stock location and it was still hot, this was probably do to the exhaust, angine and rad not thet R/R itself. I decide to move it aroungd to the side because thats where the 08's are. I won't be satisfied until it is away from the engine, i looked at all the service manuals for the 600\750's and 1 litres and the older ones were away from the engine then for some reason they mounted close to the engine then moved them further away the next redesign, what suzuki thinking???

cerp

#25 ·
With regard to mounting the regulator on the subframe, the Yoshimura kit harness actually has a provision for this. In fact, they give you the choice of using the OEM location or putting it on the subframe. So, to that end, thermal stability must not be that great of a concern.

The advantage of placing the rectifier on the subframe is that it gets away from a huge heat source (ever felt the engine mounts after a track session?). The downside is that it's more likely to get the shit kicked out of it in a crash when the bike goes end-over-end.

Basically, the opposite is true for putting it up front.

In the case of the current GSX-R1000 as raced by Yoshimura Suzuki in American Superbike, the rectifier is placed on the side of the frame as you see here.

#27 ·
In this shitty picture from the YZF-R1 we built, you can see the rectifier hidden under the mass of wires on the front right side fairing, well out in front of the radiator. And like the Suzuki kit harness, the YEC kit harness also has a provision for relocating the rectifier up on the rear of the subframe.

#30 ·
So here’s an update on the rectifier i moved to the left side similar to the 08's. I do some track days in the summer and had a hell of a time trying to strap the bike in my truck so i moved it back to the default location, behind the radiator.

I have ridden a full season with it there and have had no issues with any of the wires like the old unit. A telltale sign that the old one is gonna go is the 3 yellow wires from the stator get hard at the connection to the rectifier. I completely removed that plug and wired the stator wires directly to the new unit, they are still soft since there’s no resistance from that connection. The new unit is only absorbing heat from other sources not producing its own so until I see evidence that it going I'm leaving it there.

:cheers

cerp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.