Tokico calipers 6 or 4 pot : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Mods & How To's

Old 06-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
cowboy6155
Squid

Tokico calipers 6 or 4 pot

Hi,
I own a GSX1400, and thought gixxer owners might be able to help me with a question-
You are all familiar with the 6 pot Tokico calipers fitted to the 1400, all the busas up to recent, the TLs, and the 2001-2002 gixxer.
the thing is, are they as good as the 4 pot Tokicos fitted to the later gixxers (the ones with leading pots slightly larger than the following ones)

they only lasted one model year? on the gixxer, 2001-2002, then went back to 4 pots the following year.

The 4 pot units are outstanding on the gixxers, and evaluations of the 6 pot units have never been glowing, on the TL, 1400 or the Busa. I am considering trying the 4 pot units on my 1400, to see if they are any better- less lever effort, better bite, etc.

What is the experience of Gixxer owners? Looking at them, I think they are dimensionally a direct swap, the mount centers are same, offset mount to disc same, and I think the disc diameters were same at 320mm.

One difference was that the gixxer had a 14mm master cylinder, while the 1400 has a 16mm master, which is about a 3:4 ratio, but then the calipers must have a similar piston area ratio.

One member has commented that his Brembo conversion was a big improvement, and the Brembo caliper he used is very similar to the 4 pot Tokicos on the gixxers, R1s and similar.

I read an opinion that the main problem in the 6 pot is the large pad, it warps a bit when hot, which takes lever travel to take up the bend, and introduces sponginess.

Any feedback?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 pot Tokico.jpg (61.6 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 6 pot Tokico.jpg (44.1 KB, 144 views)
cowboy6155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
bunabaroo
Novice

Re: Tokico calipers 6 or 4 pot

The four pots were fitted to the GSXR600 from 97 to 2003 and the 750 from 2001 to 2003, the faster and heavier 1000 of 01/02 had the six pots. Suzuki replaced both these with radial mounted four pot calipers on thier GSXR's, which are not interchangeable with the old calipers.

The only bike I've had that used the 4 pot Tokicos was a 99 TL1000S (the TLR's had six pots), the brakes were adequate but not inspiring, and had I kept it I would have swapped to the six pots. Knowing what I know now I probably would have changed the master cylinder first.

I have owned a series of gixxers covering all evolutions of the six pot Tokico calipers, and a GSX1400 like yours, so I have some experience with them, both on the road and at the track.

My brakes have never suffered from fade, I use EBC HH pads, braided steel lines, change the fluid once a year (dot4) and won't rest until my lines are free of air.

I have never encountered warped pad backing plates or lever sponginess, and I give mine hell at the track. I have noticed that the EBC HH pads dont handle extreme heat well once they are more than half worn, they start to glaze and get snatchy and lose feel. For track work I now use Vesrah RJL's and am so far impressed, but we shall see how they behave once they wear down a bit. I once had a set of Yoshimura endurance racing pads, and they performed impeccably right to the end, but they are about $400 a set....

My first 4 gixxers (94 750, 96 750, 97 750, 97 1100) all ran stock master cylinders, and not knowing any better I thought they were great, firm lever and solid reliable brakes with no fade issues, and all saw fast track work. The 1100 in particular copped massive punishment and indeed the best way to overtake on it was on the brakes into the corners.

I bought my K2 1000 two years ago and it came fitted with a Brembo 19X20 radial master cylinder. What a revelation! Lots more lever travel, a fraction of the lever effort and so much more feel. The ability to modulate the braking, lifting the rear wheel off the deck and setting it down gently while braking from 230km/h down to 70 is amazing. I can also brake deep into corners, laying the bike down and easing the lever off with confidence inspiring control.

I recently purchased my K1 1000 road bike, and next to the race bike the brakes felt wooden and lacked feel, although ultimate stopping power was much the same. I swapped to a K5 1000 radial master cylinder which has a 19.05mm bore, and the difference is impressive. Whilst not quite as good as the Brembo set up, it certainly has softened the lever action, reduced lever effort and improved feel tremendously.

I'd highly recommend the Brembo radial master cylinder conversion, if I were buying one now I'd get the 19mm RCS so I could experiment with both 20 and 18mm ratios, but if you can't stretch to that the K5 conversion will be well worth the 100 or so bucks it costs.

I just reviewed this, and realised I almost wrote a bloody book! I hope some of it is useful to you.
GSXR1000 K2 ex Suzuka 8 Hour race bike. Ohlins shock, damper and kitted forks, Brembo M/C. Titanium race exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC filter. Yoshi ECU and harness + PCIII. Yoshi Stage 1 cams, ported head, stock compression.

Last edited by bunabaroo; 06-22-2010 at 06:56 AM.
bunabaroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
cowboy6155
Squid

Re: Tokico calipers 6 or 4 pot

thanks a bunch, Bunabaroo!! The book you wrote me is indeed interesting. I will looking into the possibility of finding a radial MC off a wrecked late-model gixxer or fireblade.

thanks again.

Cowboy.
cowboy6155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in