my 99 gsxr-750 has charging problems : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum

Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
cketcham
Squid

my 99 gsxr-750 has charging problems

Basically what happened is that I tried starting my bike and it acted like the battery was dead. I decided to try to jump start it by connecting it to a car (the car was off). it started ok, but when we disconnected the jumper cables my bike died. Figuring the charging system was probably broken since I didn't do anything else that might have caused the battery to drain, I tried letting the battery sit connected to the car battery for a few minutes. it gave me enough charge to get to a bike shop.

they told me I need a new battery, stator and regulator. and wanted to charge me a ridiculous amount, so I got the battery, had them charge it, and was able to ride back to my apartment.

I did a load test and it didn't look like any voltage was going to the battery at 5000 rpm. The shop said the alternator wasn't outputting anything too, so I believe that the stator needs to be replaced. but how can I tell if I need to replace the rectifier too?

tldr; I am pretty sure I need a new stator for my bike. How can I tell if I need a new rectifier? is it true that if the stator goes bad then the rectifier goes bad too?

thanks
cketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
cketcham
Squid

Re: my 99 gsxr-750 has charging problems

for anyone who is interested in knowing what I did to get my bike fixed.

I replaced the battery and the reg/rec and it now works fine. I'm not sure if the shop people were totally talking out of their asses when they said I needed to replace everything since I performed a test before I changed anything that made me believe I needed to replace the reg/rec, I performed the same test after I replaced it, got the same result, except the battery charges now.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
THE SRADIATOR
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: THE SRADIATOR

You're a few rpm's behind the power curve on this one!
We've been diagnosing and fixing this problem for years now.
You may still have some wiring harness issues as a bad regulator sometimes cooks the harness as well.
Time will tell...
THE SRADIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
john kinzell
Rookie

Motorcycle: gsxr 1000

stator is charred, what else do i need?

read this thread..
john kinzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
cketcham
Squid

actually the wiring harness had been removed previously and the reg/rec was directly soldered to the bike. I took out the old one, soldered in the new one and I haven't had a problem for 6 months. so hopefully things are good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement