bike shuts off while riding...please help!!!!!!! : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum > 03-04 GSX-R1000

Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
damainevent
Squid

bike shuts off while riding...please help!!!!!!!

hello everyone,
im new to this forum and iam new to riding ..
today i was riding going about 40mph and my bike jus died out and the engine shut down.... i turned it back on and it felt a litttle weak but still rode to were i needed to go ...about an hour later i started it up and started riding ...and about 20 mins into riding.... it died out again

now when it turns off the oil light comes on?...im not sure if i need oil or wat...

i have a power commander and i dont know if that has anything to do with it..

oh by the way its a 03 gsxr 600 ....

please helppppp!!!!

thanks
damainevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
Black_gixxer
Squid

Motorcycle: 2004 GSXR
Re: bike shuts off while riding...please help!!!!!!!

when ur engine dies or off, the engine oil light is on n is normal.
could be ur fuel pump, side stand switch........
Black_gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
RidgeRacer
Rookie

Motorcycle: '82 GPz550

Over the years I've been on this forum whenever someone posts symptoms like yours where the bike dies mysteriously more often than not it ends up being a bad side stand switch which is there to keep you from riding with the side stand down.

However one key symptom of the side stand switch problem is that when it does run it runs perfect, quits, and then starts running perfect again. If in fact after yours quits you notice some kind of prolonged loss of power when it starts running again it probably isn't the side stand switch.
RidgeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
thefish1977
Novice

Motorcycle: 2001 GSX-R 1000

With the power commander attached to your neg battery terminal, your connection may be just a hair loose. If you were under throttle when it died, it may start a bit rough as the combustion chamber didn't burn out. Try tightening your negative terminal, and see if that helps. Good luck, and please keep us posted.
thefish1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
damainevent
Squid

how do i tightenten the negative terminal...im new to bikes
damainevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
wuzup76020
Supersport Racer

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by damainevent View Post
how do i tightenten the negative terminal...im new to bikes
pull the seat off and take a philips head screw driver or the tool required and tighten the "-" side. check for any wires running to the battery and make sure there all connected correctly...no frayed or stray wires.
wuzup76020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
DDR
Squid

Does it just stop running or does it lose all electronic power? I had the same problem with a bike of mine awhile ago and it turned out that a ground wire from my wiring harness was loosing connection and it was turning on and off while I was riding. Hope for you that's not the case.
DDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
aplinm
Squid

Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRacer View Post
Over the years I've been on this forum whenever someone posts symptoms like yours where the bike dies mysteriously more often than not it ends up being a bad side stand switch which is there to keep you from riding with the side stand down.

However one key symptom of the side stand switch problem is that when it does run it runs perfect, quits, and then starts running perfect again. If in fact after yours quits you notice some kind of prolonged loss of power when it starts running again it probably isn't the side stand switch.
My bike is having this problem as well. It shuts off suddenly and then starts right back up. I believe it is my side stand switch. How do I test it? Just check for loose connections? Or use a multimeter? Any help would be highly appreciated!
aplinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Stra8ryder
Squid

make sure your kick stand is not falling when your riding. tie the kick stand up and see if it cuts out again. if the oil light stays on be careful could be bad sensor or motor gone. its not on because of low oil. might want to try a tune up and put something in the tank to treat possible bad gas. Ive ran thru a few of these problems myself
Stra8ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement