Proper cornering techniques for a rookie : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > The Starting Line< =======

Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
DieHardDan
Squid

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750
Proper cornering techniques for a rookie

Hello everyone, I'm new around here and new to bike riding. I took the MSF course at HD last fall and just bought a 2003 gsxr 750. I'm just looking for any tips on taking corners like a pro, I realize the basic concept (outside to inside to outside) Currently my cornering is just kind of sloppy, and I usually come in too slow and my "line just isn't very consistent its kind of all over. I know I just need a lot of practice, but wondering if any of you experts can offer any tips or techniques to help me get the ball rolling a little quicker. Awesome site BTW
DieHardDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
gixx1000
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2001 GSX-R600 (sold), 2003 GSX-R1000, 2008 ZX-10R
Re: Proper cornering techniques for a rookie

Pretty complex topic to cover in this format. Search near wherever you live for a track school. They should be able to critique what you're doing and give you a solid foundation to build on.
gixx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Robben
Jurassic Skool

Motorcycle: 86 GSX-R1100

Welcome to the site.

There's a couple really good books out there for improving on what the MSF course gives you, and geared more for sport riding (MSF teaches you how to ride a UJM) Sportriding Techniques (I think) and Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2.

Your comments on your lines and speed suggests that maybe you're making one of the infamous mistakes the MSF tries hard at correcting brand new riders - not keeping your head up and looking through the turn. If you're looking down near the front of the bike to gauge where you are in the corner (for your spot on the 'line') you'd naturally slow down as things appear to happen faster. As you come up to the corners, pick a spot roughly halfway (depending on if it's a really long sweeper, maybe break that up into thirds) By looking far enough ahead, the bike will go where you're looking. Before you get to that spot, pick another spot further up to look at and so on.

The books will explain this better than I can, especially since they usually supply diagrams n' stuff.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
It's_Just_Bob
Deceptively fast Bob...

Motorcycle: k8 1000 street, 06 600 track

There is a complete subforum for this here.
It's_Just_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
DieHardDan
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robben View Post
Welcome to the site.

There's a couple really good books out there for improving on what the MSF course gives you, and geared more for sport riding (MSF teaches you how to ride a UJM) Sportriding Techniques (I think) and Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2.

Your comments on your lines and speed suggests that maybe you're making one of the infamous mistakes the MSF tries hard at correcting brand new riders - not keeping your head up and looking through the turn. If you're looking down near the front of the bike to gauge where you are in the corner (for your spot on the 'line') you'd naturally slow down as things appear to happen faster. As you come up to the corners, pick a spot roughly halfway (depending on if it's a really long sweeper, maybe break that up into thirds) By looking far enough ahead, the bike will go where you're looking. Before you get to that spot, pick another spot further up to look at and so on.

The books will explain this better than I can, especially since they usually supply diagrams n' stuff.
I think you may be right about the not looking up thing, I always had trouble looking out there, it kind of gives me the feeling that the bike could be drifting to the ditch or center line without me realizing it, I mean I don't look at the front tire but I don't look real far out there either. Some of the other students towards the end of the class were saying that by looking at where they wanted to go, the bike just followed. (like what you said) I never got this feeling, I don't know WTH I'm doing different I guess it takes practice

Last edited by DieHardDan; 04-14-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
AndrewM
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 06 750

Practice on a race track
AndrewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
THE REV
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2013 BMW S1000RR, 2008 GSXR-1000

Welcome mate...practice, practice and practice some more
THE REV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
DieHardDan
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Practice on a race track
Can I just take my bike to a track and practice? Are there usually rules such as pinning all of the bolts on the bike and things like that? Or is that only required when actually racing? I realize it will vary from track to track but whats the norm?

Last edited by DieHardDan; 04-14-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
SVS
drunk texts OG and Oldfart

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardDan View Post
Can I just take my bike to a track and practice? Are there usually rules such as pinning all of the bolts on the bike and things like that? Or is that only required when actually racing? I realize it will vary from track to track but whats the norm?
At proper track schools there will be instructors and usually you'll be led around in the beginning, getting feedback and tips. And no, you don't need to safety wire bolts for regular trackdays, you just tape over the lights mostly
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #10
SVS
drunk texts OG and Oldfart

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Where do you live, BTW? Might be able to point you to a good track school near you
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
Robben
Jurassic Skool

Motorcycle: 86 GSX-R1100

Quote:
I think you may be right about the not looking up thing, I always had trouble looking out there, it kind of gives me the feeling that the bike could be drifting to the ditch or center line without me realizing it, I mean I don't look at the front tire but I don't look real far out there either. Some of the other students towards the end of the class were saying that by looking at where they wanted to go, the bike just followed. (like what you said) I never got this feeling, I don't know WTH I'm doing different I guess it takes practice
Your bike will go where you look. If you don't trust yourself to believe this, try this little exercise out, preferably on a fairly quiet street, if possible.

Try to avoid running over the manhole covers, first by looking at them and trying not to ride over them (it really is almost impossible), and then picking a spot beside them to look at. It's also a good way to avoid things like roadkill, potholes, etc by looking at your 'escape route'. Same principle as in looking ahead through the turns at where you want to be in the 'line'..
Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #12
DieHardDan
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS View Post
Where do you live, BTW? Might be able to point you to a good track school near you
I live in Beaver Dam Wisconsin
Old 04-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
DieHardDan
Squid

Another thing that makes me nervous while coming into a corner is gravel, specially on the back roads. Which I think is the main contributor to my slow entrance speeds and a lack of lean, I just don't want to get too "into" the corner and hit a gravel patch mid way, and down I go. Can even a couple stones in the road cause a skid while cornering?

Last edited by DieHardDan; 04-15-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm new around here and new to bike riding. I took the MSF course at HD last fall and just bought a 2003 gsxr 750. I'm just looking for any tips on taking corners like a pro, I realize the basic concept (outside to inside to outside) Currently my cornering is just kind of sloppy, and I usually come in too slow and my "line just isn't very consistent its kind of all over. I know I just need a lot of practice, but wondering if any of you experts can offer any tips or techniques to help me get the ball rolling a little quicker. Awesome site BTW

Pros cruise around on the street. If you want to take a corner like a pro you need to be on a racetrack
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
92gixxer
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2005 Buell XB12R-back with my first love: V2!

Quote:
Another thing that makes me nervous while coming into a corner is gravel, specially on the back roads. Which I think is the main contributor to my slow entrance speeds and a lack of lean, I just don't want to get too "into" the corner and hit a gravel patch mid way, and down I go. Can even a couple stones in the road cause a skid while cornering?
This is EXACTLY why everyone tells you to go to a track. There are too many "unpredictables" on the street. Can a few stones make you go down; w/ the wrong reaction while hitting a corner fast, absolutely. Loose gravel, oil, sand and crap is a real quick way to get aquainted w/ the concrete if you're diving in fast.

Any time I plan on taking some quick turns I will ride the route conservative 1 time and them pick up the pace the second time. I don't "race" through the corners or try to drag knee so don't think I'm condoning these types of riding. We all have done "spirited" rides though and it is a huge rush to do it but caution is the name of the game on the street.

As far as technique and body position try searching youtube. There are some good videos out there that'll give you a visual reference of what "the right way" is. The only real way to figure it out is to study and then practice. The only safe place to do that is on a track.
92gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #16
DieHardDan
Squid

I'm not really looking to take curves at 100mph, knee down on the streets, I'm just looking to improve my cornering and overall riding skills. I would love to practice on a track, and there is a track about an 1.5 hrs from me (Road America, in Elkhart Lake) I've never been there or to a bike race before, so I would have no idea what to expect, but I will defiantly look into it.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #17
Sabba
Club Racer

Motorcycle: '89 CBR 600 (SOLD), '93 GSXR 750 (SOLD), '04 GSXR 600

Quote:
Thats one of the downsides of the streets...The most important thing is not to panic (easier said then done ) and like mentioned before, look where you want to go. Use your head as well: If its early in the spring, expect gravel and ride accordingly...

You are much more vulnerable to road conditions than cars, so don't think you have to go through the turns as fast as the wannabe racecar driver ahead of you...leave enough room so you can avoid potholes, rocks, etc...Look all the way through the turn (not right infront) so you can see potential dangers and adjust your line accordingly...

During my noob days, I used to "scope out" sections of road first, and rip through them on the way back. Worked really well until one time a small tree fell over the road I checked 10 minutes earlier!!! Never got hurt thankfully, but that was the last time I relied on that system...

Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Goodridge braided front lines, K&N filter, '07 GSXR 750 shock, shimmed clutch springs, Factory Pro "Pro" shift kit, Motion Pro R1 throttle, aluminum fan (with manual switch), Jardine RT-One race can, '94 magnesium engine covers, Yamaha aluminum bar ends SOLD MY SOUL
Sabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #18
MellowYellow08
Rookie

Motorcycle: 08 GSX-R 600

Looking thru or past the turns will usually keep you on the right path. I was taking sloppy corners when I bought my bike.
Now I look thru the turns and the bike follows very nicely.
When entering a turn try to look towards the end of it. The bike will take you where your looking most of the time.
Only been riding 3 weeks but the advice on this site is awsome.
Listen to these guys they know their shit!!
Thanks GDC!
MellowYellow08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement