Custom/ DIY extended swingarm??? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Racing & Stunts > Drag Racing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Manny0
Rookie
 
Manny0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Motorcycle: K7 600
Posts: 386
Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

So let me start by saying I have searched EVERYWHERE for days and no luck. So I thought I'd ask here rather than the 600 fourms.

I have a buddy with a R6 who wants to build an extended swingarm.
He has access to the aluminum through his job and is in good with a local metal cfaft/ welding shop but can't find any forms from which to guide him/ DIY post/ videos......etc

Can anyone offer any fundimental basics on Construction?
Thanks!
Manny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
gsxrider89
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Midwest
Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr 1000
Posts: 128
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

dont do it search swingarms that fail ive seen the pics before and its not pretty he may think its cool to build ur own n all or u might be saving some money but in the long run u cant beat the craftmans ships of a adams, macintosh, and if he doesnt have the cash for a entire arm buy extensions hell those are safer than building ur own just my 2cents
gsxrider89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Manny0
Rookie
 
Manny0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Motorcycle: K7 600
Posts: 386
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrider89 View Post
dont do it search swingarms that fail ive seen the pics before and its not pretty he may think its cool to build ur own n all or u might be saving some money but in the long run u cant beat the craftmans ships of a adams, macintosh, and if he doesnt have the cash for a entire arm buy extensions hell those are safer than building ur own just my 2cents
ok.......intresting.
I don't think it's that he doesn't want to spend the money more of a justification as he says for something that looks simple.
I'll start looking for failed post......intresting.

When you say "Caftmans ship" are you talking about grade of aluminum????
Manny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
d3coy
Club Racer
 
d3coy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Statesboro, GA
Motorcycle: 72" Black/Orange GSX-R 1000 K7
Posts: 1,832
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny0 View Post
ok.......intresting.
I don't think it's that he doesn't want to spend the money more of a justification as he says for something that looks simple.
I'll start looking for failed post......intresting.

When you say "Caftmans ship" are you talking about grade of aluminum????
i would think that by "craftmanship" he's talking about the grade of aluminum, welding method, and the setup used to do the welding. most if not all extended factory arms are jig welded to insure straightness. also, i would think experience welding swingarms would play a part in craftmanship as well. one more thing, i've noticed that some extended factory arms require longer rear axles due to the thickness of the blocks and the fact that the longer the arm is the wider they get at the end. you can run the axle through, but the axle nut will only go on halfway. i've seen this on an R1 and a k5 1000 running an extended 'busa arm.
__________________
d3coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
bcc
Rookie
 
bcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 732
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

its an r6 ,wt f would you want to stretch it ?stretched bikes have the gay





.
bcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
d3coy
Club Racer
 
d3coy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Statesboro, GA
Motorcycle: 72" Black/Orange GSX-R 1000 K7
Posts: 1,832
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post
its an r6 ,wt f would you want to stretch it ?stretched bikes have the gay
.
shhhhhh, your tentacles are showing.
d3coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
bcc
Rookie
 
bcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 732
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3coy View Post
shhhhhh, your tentacles are showing.
coming from the guy with the 2 hockey sticks for a swingarm
bcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
d3coy
Club Racer
 
d3coy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Statesboro, GA
Motorcycle: 72" Black/Orange GSX-R 1000 K7
Posts: 1,832
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post
coming from the guy with the 2 hockey sticks for a swingarm
it's a big difference between stretching a bike for a purpose and doing it just for looks. my bike is stretched because i drag race the hell out of it, not because i frequent bike nights and want to look cool. there's 25,000+ HARD miles on my bike so don't come at me like i'm some rookie that only rides when it's 80 degrees outside. if you don't like stretched bikes stay out of the drag racing forum. your tone is disrespectful and unappreciated, this conversation is over.
d3coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
bcc
Rookie
 
bcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 732
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3coy View Post
it's a big difference between stretching a bike for a purpose and doing it just for looks. my bike is stretched because i drag race the hell out of it, not because i frequent bike nights and want to look cool. there's 25,000+ HARD miles on my bike so don't come at me like i'm some rookie that only rides when it's 80 degrees outside. if you don't like stretched bikes stay out of the drag racing forum. your tone is disrespectful and unappreciated, this conversation is over.
well i never said anything about 80 degrees or bike nights,so your cut and paste response is already lame

your jeans in your avatar really give the impression of a hardcore drag racer .If its a competitive drag bike and thats all it does then stretch away .If you go to drag nites in jeans and sneakers because you are into that than all the power to ya .The guy wants to stretch an R6 ,,i mean come on thats like silicone tits on a grandma ,sure you can have it done ,but why ..
bcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
kanerivera
Rookie
 
kanerivera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chattanooga,Tn
Motorcycle: K8 GSX-R 600
Posts: 532
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

BCC Listen he posted it in the Drag Racing Section. It's the proper section for him to post this type of question. You know why? Because he is asking those who drag race. So why don't you just keep to your own business.
If he wants to stretch a 6 Let him. There is nothing wrong with it. Like Decoy said there is a different between posers and racers. If he is asking a legit question let him be.

So go scroll threw somewhere else where you think you can leave a response and look like a bad ass doing it....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanbran View Post
thanks! thats ok, its not your bike.

K8 600 Bottle Fed
kanerivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
bcc
Rookie
 
bcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 732
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanerivera View Post
BCC Listen he posted it in the Drag Racing Section. It's the proper section for him to post this type of question. You know why? Because he is asking those who drag race. So why don't you just keep to your own business.
If he wants to stretch a 6 Let him. There is nothing wrong with it. Like Decoy said there is a different between posers and racers. If he is asking a legit question let him be.

So go scroll threw somewhere else where you think you can leave a response and look like a bad ass doing it....

ahaha im trying to look like a badass ??? ahahaha yea cuz giving an opinion on an internet forum is only done when you are trying to be a bad ass.That doesnt even make sense dude.

who gives a crap what section its in ,that doesn't mean you get a pass .I never understand why people post things on the internet and only expect postive responses,its the friggin internet not a tea party .

drop the purse
bcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
John V
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Motorcycle: K7 Black/Blue 750
Posts: 100
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Get over on psychobike.com... they may have more answers your looking for.

This site is more about leaving a bike's suspension stock and setting suspension sag.

psychobike is more about helping you do what you want to do to a bike and not asking or providing bullshit questions or opinions.

That being said I will answer it here. Get one prefabbed. I have seen swing arms crack over time that were backyard engineered. Not something that is worth the risk in my eyes.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
Manny0
Rookie
 
Manny0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Motorcycle: K7 600
Posts: 386
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Get over on psychobike.com... they may have more answers your looking for.

This site is more about leaving a bike's suspension stock and setting suspension sag.

psychobike is more about helping you do what you want to do to a bike and not asking or providing bullshit questions or opinions.

That being said I will answer it here. Get one prefabbed. I have seen swing arms crack over time that were backyard engineered. Not something that is worth the risk in my eyes.
thanks, I will pass the info on........
Manny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #14
gsxrider89
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Midwest
Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr 1000
Posts: 128
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

hahaha gotta love the stretch haters......honestly wtf does it matter if u twistie it, goin down a strip, or rollin ur 300 tire to bike night who gives a fuck to each there own. we all have our own bike own style and own directions we go with our bikes.....comon now kids

if u cant hang with the stretched bikes stay out the drag section
gsxrider89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #15
Manny0
Rookie
 
Manny0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Motorcycle: K7 600
Posts: 386
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrider89 View Post
hahaha gotta love the stretch haters......honestly wtf does it matter if u twistie it, goin down a strip, or rollin ur 300 tire to bike night who gives a fuck to each there own. we all have our own bike own style and own directions we go with our bikes.....comon now kids

if u cant hang with the stretched bikes stay out the drag section
^^^ true that
Manny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #16
bcc
Rookie
 
bcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 732
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrider89 View Post
hahaha gotta love the stretch haters......honestly wtf does it matter if u twistie it, goin down a strip, or rollin ur 300 tire to bike night who gives a fuck to each there own. we all have our own bike own style and own directions we go with our bikes.....comon now kids

if u cant hang with the stretched bikes stay out the drag section
because drag racing and stretched swingarms are not always related .
plus hes talking about a stretch on a 600.
If your purse doesnt have enough room inside for a difference in opinion stay off the internet.
bcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #17
Manny0
Rookie
 
Manny0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Motorcycle: K7 600
Posts: 386
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post
because drag racing and stretched swingarms are not always related .
plus hes talking about a stretch on a 600.
If your purse doesnt have enough room inside for a difference in opinion stay off the internet.
Quote:
"because drag racing and stretched swingarms are not always related".
From a racing stand point.......it's like saying slicks and racing are not related.
is it absolutly needed no.......is it extreamly beneficial absolutly!

Just because it's a "600" does not mean you are fully aware of what motor period, is in there, so downing a 600 with a stretched swingarm is biased.

Personally I bought a 600 myslef as a good started bike FOR ME! I plan on swapping motors one day but will not be swapping bikes why, just for the simple fact I like to be considered the underdog that puts on a serious ass whopping when needed. as we call in the car world a "sleeper".

Like GSXRIDER89 said, to each there own, and opinions are welcomed certainly but the point is this site for the majority are completely bias towards stretched bikes especially a 600.
Manny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
bcc
Rookie
 
bcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 732
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny0 View Post
From a racing stand point.......it's like saying slicks and racing are not related.
is it absolutly needed no.......is it extreamly beneficial absolutly!

Just because it's a "600" does not mean you are fully aware of what motor period, is in there, so downing a 600 with a stretched swingarm is biased.

Personally I bought a 600 myslef as a good started bike FOR ME! I plan on swapping motors one day but will not be swapping bikes why, just for the simple fact I like to be considered the underdog that puts on a serious ass whopping when needed. as we call in the car world a "sleeper".

Like GSXRIDER89 said, to each there own, and opinions are welcomed certainly but the point is this site for the majority are completely bias towards stretched bikes especially a 600.
clutch control is beificial ,a stretch is lazy .

How would a stretched 600 be a sleeper ? a sleeper is something you dont expect to be fast ,thats like calling a tubbed out mustang with a blower sticking out a sleeper .
bcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
Manny0
Rookie
 
Manny0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Motorcycle: K7 600
Posts: 386
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post
clutch control is beificial ,a stretch is lazy .

How would a stretched 600 be a sleeper ? a sleeper is something you dont expect to be fast ,thats like calling a tubbed out mustang with a blower sticking out a sleeper .
A 600 with a blower or turbo sticking out then yes you do have a point not a sleeper, but a 600 that will keep up just fine or blow by a 1000 UNEXPECTEDLY........that's my point.
ANSWER TO QUESTION- Not many 1K owners expecting much competion from a 600 thus far = a sleeper

At least down here in Florida just because your bike is stretched does not mean your balls out fast, it's very common to see stretched out bikes here cause we have no twisties's
Manny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #20
bcc
Rookie
 
bcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 732
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny0 View Post
A 600 with a blower or turbo sticking out then yes you do have a point not a sleeper, but a 600 that will keep up just fine or blow by a 1000 UNEXPECTEDLY........that's my point.
ANSWER TO QUESTION- Not many 1K owners expecting much competion from a 600 thus far = a sleeper

At least down here in Florida just because your bike is stretched does not mean your balls out fast, it's very common to see stretched out bikes here cause we have no twisties's

the argument of stretching bikes because there is no twisties is such a lame argument ,if stretching a bike is your only option to not having corners ,buy a harley .
bcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 2013 Gixxer.com
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum