Custom/ DIY extended swingarm??? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Racing & Stunts > Drag Racing

Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Manny0
Rookie

Motorcycle: K7 600
Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

So let me start by saying I have searched EVERYWHERE for days and no luck. So I thought I'd ask here rather than the 600 fourms.

I have a buddy with a R6 who wants to build an extended swingarm.
He has access to the aluminum through his job and is in good with a local metal cfaft/ welding shop but can't find any forms from which to guide him/ DIY post/ videos......etc

Can anyone offer any fundimental basics on Construction?
Thanks!
Manny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
gsxrider89
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr 1000
Re: Custom/ DIY extended swingarm???

dont do it search swingarms that fail ive seen the pics before and its not pretty he may think its cool to build ur own n all or u might be saving some money but in the long run u cant beat the craftmans ships of a adams, macintosh, and if he doesnt have the cash for a entire arm buy extensions hell those are safer than building ur own just my 2cents
gsxrider89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Manny0
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrider89 View Post
dont do it search swingarms that fail ive seen the pics before and its not pretty he may think its cool to build ur own n all or u might be saving some money but in the long run u cant beat the craftmans ships of a adams, macintosh, and if he doesnt have the cash for a entire arm buy extensions hell those are safer than building ur own just my 2cents
ok.......intresting.
I don't think it's that he doesn't want to spend the money more of a justification as he says for something that looks simple.
I'll start looking for failed post......intresting.

When you say "Caftmans ship" are you talking about grade of aluminum????
Old 01-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
d3coy
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 72" Black/Orange GSX-R 1000 K7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny0 View Post
ok.......intresting.
I don't think it's that he doesn't want to spend the money more of a justification as he says for something that looks simple.
I'll start looking for failed post......intresting.

When you say "Caftmans ship" are you talking about grade of aluminum????
i would think that by "craftmanship" he's talking about the grade of aluminum, welding method, and the setup used to do the welding. most if not all extended factory arms are jig welded to insure straightness. also, i would think experience welding swingarms would play a part in craftmanship as well. one more thing, i've noticed that some extended factory arms require longer rear axles due to the thickness of the blocks and the fact that the longer the arm is the wider they get at the end. you can run the axle through, but the axle nut will only go on halfway. i've seen this on an R1 and a k5 1000 running an extended 'busa arm.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
bcc
Rookie

its an r6 ,wt f would you want to stretch it ?stretched bikes have the gay

bcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
d3coy
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post
its an r6 ,wt f would you want to stretch it ?stretched bikes have the gay
shhhhhh, your tentacles are showing.
d3coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
bcc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3coy View Post
shhhhhh, your tentacles are showing.
coming from the guy with the 2 hockey sticks for a swingarm
Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
d3coy
Club Racer

Quote:
coming from the guy with the 2 hockey sticks for a swingarm
it's a big difference between stretching a bike for a purpose and doing it just for looks. my bike is stretched because i drag race the hell out of it, not because i frequent bike nights and want to look cool. there's 25,000+ HARD miles on my bike so don't come at me like i'm some rookie that only rides when it's 80 degrees outside. if you don't like stretched bikes stay out of the drag racing forum. your tone is disrespectful and unappreciated, this conversation is over.
d3coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
bcc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3coy View Post
it's a big difference between stretching a bike for a purpose and doing it just for looks. my bike is stretched because i drag race the hell out of it, not because i frequent bike nights and want to look cool. there's 25,000+ HARD miles on my bike so don't come at me like i'm some rookie that only rides when it's 80 degrees outside. if you don't like stretched bikes stay out of the drag racing forum. your tone is disrespectful and unappreciated, this conversation is over.
well i never said anything about 80 degrees or bike nights,so your cut and paste response is already lame

your jeans in your avatar really give the impression of a hardcore drag racer .If its a competitive drag bike and thats all it does then stretch away .If you go to drag nites in jeans and sneakers because you are into that than all the power to ya .The guy wants to stretch an R6 ,,i mean come on thats like silicone tits on a grandma ,sure you can have it done ,but why ..
Old 01-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
kanerivera
Rookie

Motorcycle: K8 GSX-R 600

BCC Listen he posted it in the Drag Racing Section. It's the proper section for him to post this type of question. You know why? Because he is asking those who drag race. So why don't you just keep to your own business.
If he wants to stretch a 6 Let him. There is nothing wrong with it. Like Decoy said there is a different between posers and racers. If he is asking a legit question let him be.

So go scroll threw somewhere else where you think you can leave a response and look like a bad ass doing it....

K8 600 Bottle Fed
kanerivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
bcc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanerivera View Post
BCC Listen he posted it in the Drag Racing Section. It's the proper section for him to post this type of question. You know why? Because he is asking those who drag race. So why don't you just keep to your own business.
If he wants to stretch a 6 Let him. There is nothing wrong with it. Like Decoy said there is a different between posers and racers. If he is asking a legit question let him be.

So go scroll threw somewhere else where you think you can leave a response and look like a bad ass doing it....

ahaha im trying to look like a badass ??? ahahaha yea cuz giving an opinion on an internet forum is only done when you are trying to be a bad ass.That doesnt even make sense dude.

who gives a crap what section its in ,that doesn't mean you get a pass .I never understand why people post things on the internet and only expect postive responses,its the friggin internet not a tea party .

drop the purse
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
John V
Back Marker

Motorcycle: K7 Black/Blue 750

Get over on psychobike.com... they may have more answers your looking for.

This site is more about leaving a bike's suspension stock and setting suspension sag.

psychobike is more about helping you do what you want to do to a bike and not asking or providing bullshit questions or opinions.

That being said I will answer it here. Get one prefabbed. I have seen swing arms crack over time that were backyard engineered. Not something that is worth the risk in my eyes.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
Manny0
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Get over on psychobike.com... they may have more answers your looking for.

This site is more about leaving a bike's suspension stock and setting suspension sag.

psychobike is more about helping you do what you want to do to a bike and not asking or providing bullshit questions or opinions.

That being said I will answer it here. Get one prefabbed. I have seen swing arms crack over time that were backyard engineered. Not something that is worth the risk in my eyes.
thanks, I will pass the info on........
Old 01-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #14
gsxrider89
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr 1000

hahaha gotta love the stretch haters......honestly wtf does it matter if u twistie it, goin down a strip, or rollin ur 300 tire to bike night who gives a fuck to each there own. we all have our own bike own style and own directions we go with our bikes.....comon now kids

if u cant hang with the stretched bikes stay out the drag section
gsxrider89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #15
Manny0
Rookie

Quote:
hahaha gotta love the stretch haters......honestly wtf does it matter if u twistie it, goin down a strip, or rollin ur 300 tire to bike night who gives a fuck to each there own. we all have our own bike own style and own directions we go with our bikes.....comon now kids

^^^ true that
Old 01-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #16
bcc
Rookie

Quote:

because drag racing and stretched swingarms are not always related .
plus hes talking about a stretch on a 600.
If your purse doesnt have enough room inside for a difference in opinion stay off the internet.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #17
Manny0
Rookie

Quote:
because drag racing and stretched swingarms are not always related .
plus hes talking about a stretch on a 600.
If your purse doesnt have enough room inside for a difference in opinion stay off the internet.
Quote:
"because drag racing and stretched swingarms are not always related".
From a racing stand point.......it's like saying slicks and racing are not related.
is it absolutly needed no.......is it extreamly beneficial absolutly!

Just because it's a "600" does not mean you are fully aware of what motor period, is in there, so downing a 600 with a stretched swingarm is biased.

Personally I bought a 600 myslef as a good started bike FOR ME! I plan on swapping motors one day but will not be swapping bikes why, just for the simple fact I like to be considered the underdog that puts on a serious ass whopping when needed. as we call in the car world a "sleeper".

Like GSXRIDER89 said, to each there own, and opinions are welcomed certainly but the point is this site for the majority are completely bias towards stretched bikes especially a 600.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
bcc
Rookie

Quote:
From a racing stand point.......it's like saying slicks and racing are not related.
is it absolutly needed no.......is it extreamly beneficial absolutly!

Just because it's a "600" does not mean you are fully aware of what motor period, is in there, so downing a 600 with a stretched swingarm is biased.

Personally I bought a 600 myslef as a good started bike FOR ME! I plan on swapping motors one day but will not be swapping bikes why, just for the simple fact I like to be considered the underdog that puts on a serious ass whopping when needed. as we call in the car world a "sleeper".

Like GSXRIDER89 said, to each there own, and opinions are welcomed certainly but the point is this site for the majority are completely bias towards stretched bikes especially a 600.
clutch control is beificial ,a stretch is lazy .

How would a stretched 600 be a sleeper ? a sleeper is something you dont expect to be fast ,thats like calling a tubbed out mustang with a blower sticking out a sleeper .
Old 01-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
Manny0
Rookie

Quote:
clutch control is beificial ,a stretch is lazy .

How would a stretched 600 be a sleeper ? a sleeper is something you dont expect to be fast ,thats like calling a tubbed out mustang with a blower sticking out a sleeper .
A 600 with a blower or turbo sticking out then yes you do have a point not a sleeper, but a 600 that will keep up just fine or blow by a 1000 UNEXPECTEDLY........that's my point.
ANSWER TO QUESTION- Not many 1K owners expecting much competion from a 600 thus far = a sleeper

At least down here in Florida just because your bike is stretched does not mean your balls out fast, it's very common to see stretched out bikes here cause we have no twisties's
Old 01-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #20
bcc
Rookie

Quote:
A 600 with a blower or turbo sticking out then yes you do have a point not a sleeper, but a 600 that will keep up just fine or blow by a 1000 UNEXPECTEDLY........that's my point.
ANSWER TO QUESTION- Not many 1K owners expecting much competion from a 600 thus far = a sleeper

At least down here in Florida just because your bike is stretched does not mean your balls out fast, it's very common to see stretched out bikes here cause we have no twisties's

the argument of stretching bikes because there is no twisties is such a lame argument ,if stretching a bike is your only option to not having corners ,buy a harley .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement