Bear Mountain Crash(pic) : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 11-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Squigs
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: K4 600
Bear Mountain Crash(pic)

Hello guys,

So this past sunday I went down at Bear mountain. First time in the twisties. Im 19 and have been riding for about 3 months but been riding almost every single day and almost all day whenever I could lol. Been doing good in the twisties all day, taking my time, knowing my limits, keeping at my own pace. Well here we go. We were going down some backroad with some sick turns, the turn where i went down was going up a hill, and soon the hill peaked it was a hard almost 90 degress turn to the left. I was going into the turn a little to fast not expecting that degress of a turn. Went into the lean and realized shit im going to fast, and went right off the road. Luckily my bike went into the grass and than slid into a ditch.

As far as bike damage goes, only my windscreen cracked, a little piece of upper fairing where it covers airduct snapped off and thats basically it! No scratches really on bike since it went into a nice patch of grass and didnt tumble or hit anything. I need a new upper fairing bracket thing which is about 75 bucks since it snapped off on left side causing me to have no mirror. Its only about a $200 fix. Im just so happy no scratches on my bike. Cant even tell it went down if you dont look at windscreen and little piece of fairing!

As far as my injury. I had to ride home 4 hours in the dark and cold. I went to hospital for x rays and I have a separated shoulder. I need to be in this stupid sling for 4 weeks! Christmas day i take it off

Figured Id give us all something to talk about!!

Here are 2 pictures we snapped!! Wish they took 1 of a side pic.

Squigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
obc
Club Racer

Re: Bear Mountain Crash(pic)

thats what happens when you ride in a group. so many different skills levels. people try to keep up, or show off.

could've been worse.
obc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Squigs
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obc View Post
thats what happens when you ride in a group. so many different skills levels. people try to keep up, or show off.

could've been worse.
They were way ahead of me. I was going my own pace with 2 other guys behind me. I couldnt even see them ahead of me. But there an awesome group and waited at every light oir stop sign. I wasnt trying to keep up with them.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
rraiderr
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Stretched and slammed Busa

All that matters is you were able to walk away, the bike can be easily fixed.
rraiderr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
wegonemakeit
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: Weapon of choice K8 750

thats how we roll we stick and ride 2gether... and group rides we always ride at each other pace and own skill level no showing off..and you cant never better your self really unless you get help or ride with other people... she we tell each other when we thing we are leaning wrong and even speeding to fast. We run a tight unit and if you do track you have a coach or had a coach so do me a favor let the kid breath
wegonemakeit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
squale147
no rest for the wicked

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR-1000((sold)),2008 GSXR-750,((sold)) 2009 GSX-1300R Hayabusa 1992 CBR-600F2

glade to hear your o.k.. you really got lucky.. iv been riding in bear mtn for about 20 years and it is not the place to go down in..
squale147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Pro-Lux-Racing
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: A Gixxah!

Usually if you got tight turns on a road, it is posted with a speed limit. This should be a good indication of what you are about to come upon. if it says 20 MPH, then you can actually take it at 40. If it says 10 MPH, you better slow the fukk down!
Pro-Lux-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
MikeHump
Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance and ballast

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegixx750 View Post
Usually if you got tight turns on a road, it is posted with a speed limit. This should be a good indication of what you are about to come upon. if it says 20 MPH, then you can actually take it at 40. If it says 10 MPH, you better slow the fukk down!
It really depends on the road/turn. Sometimes those recommended speed signs don't mean anything and sometimes they do. The best thing to do is to do a once-over on the road at a slow pace and then backtrack and do it again if you want to ride at a spirited pace. Learn the road going slow before you try to ride "fast."

OP, good to hear you're okay. Ride safe
MikeHump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Felix
Who Knows...Ask Who

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 750 06 VTX1300R But Still missing my 98 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegixx750 View Post
Yeah, a lot of our canyons have DRT's without signs.

Glad it's not worse. Heal up & Enjoy some turkey today
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
MykeHype
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2008 GSX-R 1000

Wow, I'm glad you're alright.

Couldn't have been with a better group of guys to go down on... (oh thats a knee slapper right there)
MykeHype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
chris1
Rookie

im from that area bear mountain is great for twisties lucky it could have been worse..
chris1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
JFM GSXR 750
Not in the Blue Group

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 07

I have to correct you Squigs, you went down near Monticello NY. The first guy went down on 9w snake mountain. But you are correct, that was a difficult stretch
of road. WE warn everyone that it is coming up. We tell everyone to ride at their own pace cause we will wait at the next stop light, sign or turn. No one gets left behind. You were doing very good out there. I know you will be back next season for MORE!!!!!!
JFM GSXR 750 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
Squigs
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM GSXR 750 View Post
I have to correct you Squigs, you went down near Monticello NY. The first guy went down on 9w snake mountain. But you are correct, that was a difficult stretch
of road. WE warn everyone that it is coming up. We tell everyone to ride at their own pace cause we will wait at the next stop light, sign or turn. No one gets left behind. You were doing very good out there. I know you will be back next season for MORE!!!!!!
Bet your ass ill be back next season for more
Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
badboyrr
Rookie

Thumbs up Re: Bear Mountain Crash(pic)

Glad your going to be ok. Remember there ain't no prise money or checker flags on the street. Always ride your own pace. Now get back out there!! After you heal of course. J/K
badboyrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Squigs
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyrr View Post
Glad your going to be ok. Remember there ain't no prise money or checker flags on the street. Always ride your own pace. Now get back out there!! After you heal of course. J/K
I was riding at my own pace

Was doing good all day but the way the turn was It was going up hill and soon the hill crest it was a sharp left turn and i took the turn wide not knowing

rookie mistake, live and learn!!

Cant wait for warm weather to get back out there
Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
lomo2surf
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2012 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by obc View Post

could've been worse.
i can vouch for this group before I stopped riding on the street but most guys stay content and try not to "show off" or whatever - we have big john on a busa that pretty much cleans up if anyone So Atleast as far as safety there is always someone in the back to keep a count of people going down and there are only a few guys who ride dumb which normally seperates themselves from the pack and end up crashing outside of the group
lomo2surf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #17
Squigs
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomo2surf View Post
i can vouch for this group before I stopped riding on the street but most guys stay content and try not to "show off" or whatever - we have big john on a busa that pretty much cleans up if anyone So Atleast as far as safety there is always someone in the back to keep a count of people going down and there are only a few guys who ride dumb which normally seperates themselves from the pack and end up crashing outside of the group
I vouche for them also. Great group. None of them show off and do stupid shit. Yes they go there own pace and stay together but for the slower riders they stop and wait at stop signs, lights etc. They wont leave you behind and let you guess where they are.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:21 AM   #18
gunneryo
Squid

Motorcycle: 06 600 blue/white

same thing happened to me, 3 months riding experience then went on my first group ride in the mountains and crashed.
gunneryo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 02:08 AM   #19
Chugs
Lets go racing!

Could've been worst look like u lucked out and the bike isn't too beat up.

Last edited by Chugs; 12-01-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Chugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #20
foskamink
Brat

Motorcycle: k8 600

let the restaurant girl, cumfort you better
foskamink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in