Beretta M9 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > Non-Motorcycle Forums > Gun Talk

Old 11-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
nitrous36
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"

Motorcycle: K4 GSXR 600
Question Beretta M9

Thinking about getting a handgun and have looked at the Beretta M9. Was wondering what others thought of it. Im just looking for defense and something to take to the range and have fun with. From what I hear, jamming is not a problem with their guns.

Whats your guys opinions on this. Is it a good choice?

Any input and opinions appreciated.

As for jamming, please feel me in on this. I hear claims that Berettas jam more, Glocks jam more, or Sigs jam more? :confused

Wouldn't it be the individual gun, owner, and maintanence thats the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Fuck My Mom and Love It View Post
Ban me, that shit makes me fuckin hard!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceiling Cat View Post
Prepare to get hard then.
nitrous36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
atmosphere0284
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 1000
Re: Beretta M9

cant give you an answer about the beretta but i recently started shooting and rented both a glock 22 (.40) and a springfield xDM (.40)....put 150 rounds through both pistols and did not come across one problem. from what i've read glocks are known for their reliablitly but like i said im new to the sport. just go to your local range and rent a couple guns at a time and compare / contrast....
atmosphere0284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Alfalfa
Consistent, albeit slow

Motorcycle: G$X-R1000

I've had a Beretta 92F for close to 15 years. Fun gun, easy to shoot well. I'm not firing it everyday in a warzone but have put a few thousand rounds through it with no problems whatsoever. If you clean a firearm regularly I think it would be hard to jam unless you subject it to adverse conditions.
Alfalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
mcdozer44
the gun show

The M9 or 92fs is a great gun. It took the place of the 1911 in the military if I'm not mistaken. I don't own one, but I've put at least 1000 rounds through my cousin's. I have the Beretta Storm, and have a couple thou rounds through it. Neither the storm or the 92fs have 'jammed' for either of us. I had a couple 'hang-fire', but that's the rounds not the gun.

I was handling one at the gun shop a couple weeks ago, considering buying it. It was all stainless...nice.
mcdozer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Felix
Who Knows...Ask Who

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 750 06 VTX1300R But Still missing my 98 GSXR 750

The Beretta is a pretty nice piece, A little porky or fat, but still a good runner. When looking at handguns, you really need to get a feel for them in your own hand and get a sense of the fit as everyone's hands are different. You need to be comfortable with the controls and their placement. I would say go to a range and rent one & see what you think. But you should not have any reliability trouble with a new Beretta as long as you feed good ammo and keep it clean. Stay away from +p & +p+ as the 92Fs is not designed for it

$.02 good luck & have fun

06 VTX 1300R

98 B/W GSXR750 W/ Frame Sliders,Swing arm Spools,PCII,CCT,AirBox,TRE,PAIR Removed,K&N,Full Yosh RS-3 Race Sys,180 M-1,Flush mounts,tailight integrator, cut rear fender, cut bungee hooks, Hel SS lines, & NO FRICKEN CHICKEN STRIPS Screwed up & sold it
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
V2rider
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR750 on the way

The M9 is the main military side arm, they trust them so I would
V2rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
nitrous36

Yeah, I plan to check them out at the local range soon. While we're at it, whats some good recommedations for ammo brands. As far as good rounds go?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
MikeHump
Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance and ballast

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R600

I've only shot a few 9mm, but I like the Baretta M9. It's a very solid gun. I didn't shoot too many rounds out of it but it never jammed on me. I have also shot a Ruger SR9 and I really liked the trigger on that one, very smooth. The gun felt a little less solid than the Baretta though.

If you're not stuck on a Baretta or a 9mm, I'd also check out a Glock .40, they're pretty sweet little guns. I think .40 ammo is easier to find right now than 9mm also, isn't it?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
russgsxr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
^^^The military does not trust the m9 they have no choice. The units that are able to choose usually choose something else. Many would go back to the 1911. For civilian use the m9 will do just fine depending on what you plan to use it for. If it is a concealed carry weapon I would find something smaller than a full sized duty pistol. For home defense it should do just fine. Whatever you choose make sure you practice constantly.
russgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
MikeHump
Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance and ballast

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by russgsxr View Post
Many would go back to the 1911.
MikeHump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Suzuki Duke
PM me for Brotection

Motorcycle: 01 996 & DRZ400 Motard

Quote:
^^^The military does not trust the m9 they have no choice. The units that are able to choose usually choose something else. Many would go back to the 1911. For civilian use the m9 will do just fine depending on what you plan to use it for. If it is a concealed carry weapon I would find something smaller than a full sized duty pistol. For home defense it should do just fine. Whatever you choose make sure you practice constantly.

I was going to make that same point. Some military guys like them just fine, while others would prefer something else. I take it as a sign that the elite special forces units use 1911's or H&K's.

I've seen plenty of police officers place their life behind the Beretta, and it's not a bad gun at all. There's other guns I prefer, (1911 for the range, H&K USP45 for duty) but that's just me.
Suzuki Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
V2rider
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR750 on the way

Didnt the Military just sign a huge deal for the M9 again? I was under the impression it was the standard side arm because of its reliability. Some military INDIVIDUALS are worried about the 9mm round itself, because frangible and hollow point ammo is not used in warfare. But I don't think it had anything to do with the M9 itself. Could be mistaken.
V2rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
russgsxr
Rookie

Quote:
Didnt the Military just sign a huge deal for the M9 again? I was under the impression it was the standard side arm because of its reliability. Some military INDIVIDUALS are worried about the 9mm round itself, because frangible and hollow point ammo is not used in warfare. But I don't think it had anything to do with the M9 itself. Could be mistaken.
The m9 is a fine pistol. It is not known for durability in harsh environments and/or hard use. It can be sensitive to dirt and not being cleaned. SEALs seem to prefer the SIG, 1911 or H&K like Suzuki Duke mentioned. The people who sign contracts for military gear and services are not the people who will use them. The m9 is a fine duty weapon, not necessarily a combat weapon. I do not think the OP is shipping out to AF-PAC anytime soon so he should be fine.
russgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
RidnGsxrs
Rookie

Motorcycle: K6 750, 04 Raptor, Vento "fast" triton moped & 02 GSXR 600 telefonica

Quote:
Absolutely! I forgot if it was the Army or the Marines that just gave Beretta a multi million dollar contract to keep making them M9's. I'm a big Beretta fan!
I'm not sure if civilians can get the M9 so I bought a Beretta 90-two.
Its true that the 9mm doesn't have the power of a .40 or .45 but in the military's opinion, capacity is what matters.
RidnGsxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
Felix
Who Knows...Ask Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
Yeah, I plan to check them out at the local range soon. While we're at it, whats some good recommedations for ammo brands. As far as good rounds go?
Stay away from Blazer Aluminum & Wolf steel case ammo. Seller & Ballet ammo is a little dirty, but runs good for the price. Use brass casings. Rem, Win are good target stuff. Personal defense there is a lot to choose from, but it will depend on what your particular pistol will like to feed.

As to other comments on what people like, I'm a 1911 guy myself but have a 92/96 combo as well. Preference is individual, not necessarily better. It is the hits that count, so if you shoot it better over something else you like that is reliable I would say it's a winner and vice versa.

$.02

06 VTX 1300R

98 B/W GSXR750 W/ Frame Sliders,Swing arm Spools,PCII,CCT,AirBox,TRE,PAIR Removed,K&N,Full Yosh RS-3 Race Sys,180 M-1,Flush mounts,tailight integrator, cut rear fender, cut bungee hooks, Hel SS lines, & NO FRICKEN CHICKEN STRIPS Screwed up & sold it
Old 11-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
Felix
Who Knows...Ask Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidnGsxrs View Post
Its true that the 9mm doesn't have the power of a .40 or .45 but in the military's opinion, capacity is what matters.
Negative, It is NATO supported round is why we have a 9mm pistol, not capacity. Same as why our MG's are 556 & 308 & no longer 30-06
Old 11-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #17
nitrous36

Quote:
I do not think the OP is shipping out to AF-PAC anytime soon so he should be fine.
True.

Thanks for the input guys. I heard before that the M9 was the 1911s replacement. If its a good gun also then.........Going now to look it up.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #18
Suzuki Duke
PM me for Brotection

Motorcycle: 01 996 & DRZ400 Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post
Negative, It is NATO supported round is why we have a 9mm pistol, not capacity. Same as why our MG's are 556 & 308 & no longer 30-06

Actually I think the 308 and 556 rounds were our idea
Suzuki Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
nitrous36

I havent called any stores yet. But from what I understand, the M9 is available to the civillian public like the 92FS.

Also I havent decided whether or not to buy new or used. Though Id prefer new, what should I look for if I go used?

Not knowing how the gun was maintained, used, and what rounds were put through it kinda worries me. But I dont know much about guns.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #20
Felix
Who Knows...Ask Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Duke View Post
Actually I think the 308 and 556 rounds were our idea
The 556 we developed, not sure but you might be right on the 308 or 7.62 if you want to get technical, as the M-14 & FAL were developed near the same time, & the FAL became "the Right Arm of the free world" But NATO is the reason behind the commonality. It is always good to be able to interchange ammo, eases the logistics. No doubt a bad example on the rifle end, but that is the reason behind the 9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
I havent called any stores yet. But from what I understand, the M9 is available to the civillian public like the 92FS.

Also I havent decided whether or not to buy new or used. Though Id prefer new, what should I look for if I go used?

Not knowing how the gun was maintained, used, and what rounds were put through it kinda worries me. But I dont know much about guns.
The M9 is available. It is just a 92FS with the designation M9. If you want the one with the light rail, that would be the newer M9A1. Look for rust, pitting in the chamber bore & feed ramp. Check for large carbon build up around the chamber, extractor & firing pin hole. If there is a lot caked up & the pistol does not look like it was cleaned much, you can bet not much care was taken with it. Finish can be deceiving, there might be a lot of holster wear on a good gun, but if there are a lot of dings and drop marks, chances are it was not taken care of. Check the slide for stress cracks, as they may be present. Check for slop in the slide sided to side play. New is always good for piece of mind and warranty. Even a new pistol can have trouble so the piece of mind of a warranty might set you at ease.

06 VTX 1300R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement