Cardo Systems Scala Rider Q2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Info > Site News > Product Reviews

Old 09-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
Duff8402
Lifetime Premium

Cardo Systems Scala Rider Q2

Ordered the multiset from MotoMummy and just got it in this afternoon. Haven't had much of a chance to test it out, instructions said to charge it for 5 hours without interupption initially to avoid damage to the battery... By the time it was on the charger for 5 hours I had already had a couple beers and wasn't gonna get out on the bike lol

I put the helmet on in the house and tested out the FM Tuner, which sounded pretty damn good. Loud and clear.

The speakers are extremely thin. I had a Chatterbox at one point...the speakers were so massive on that thing that I couldn't keep my helmet on for more than 5 minutes without my ears feeling like they were on fire. I can't even feel the speakers in the helmet with the Scala.

Bluetoothed up to the iPhone and called the wife. Could hear her clear as day and she could hear me better than if I were talking in to the phone itself.

The only thing I don't like about it, is it doesn't have the A2DP technology which allows you to stream music over Bluetooh. You have to wire in to your MP3 player for the music...or you can hook it up to an FM Transmitter and listen to it over the FM tuner built in to the module.

It's Extremely light... can't feel it on the helmet like I could with the Chatterbox. And it's 100% waterproof, so getting caught in the rain isn't going to damage it... Chatterbox was not waterproof, it didn't like the rain very well.

It's decently affordable. Like I said, I bought the multiset... so it came with two sets. They can be used as a helmet to helmet intercom system with two other headsets (3 total) but it's not full duplex, you can only talk to one other headset at a time. I split the cost with a buddy of mine, ended up being $132.50 a piece (plus I got a free motomummy beer koozie out of it )

Will post up and update the thread after we've got a chance to ride with them. I have no doubt the quality will be just as good while riding.
Duff8402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Duff8402
Lifetime Premium

Re: Cardo Systems Scala Rider Q2

Well, the FM tuner sounds great while riding

I tried to call the wife while I was on my way to work, but she didn't pick up the phone (damn college football is on) So I don't know yet how the phone quality is while riding.

There's no way to tell what radio station you're listening to unless you have another radio with digits on it to compare with, or unless you hear their call sign when between songs or something. I can't seem to find the station I'd like to be listening too, all I can find is the classic rock station (which is fine) and a few mexican stations (which is not fine lol).
Old 09-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

finding stations is a pain in the ass, but o ther then that i f'n love it duff. the clarity on it is INSANE. best i've ever heard. me and erin sound as good using this as on cell phones. she can even hear every little whisper i make so i have to watch the names i call her when we are using these lol.

As i told you Erin can hear me better using the scala ride then on my blackberry LOL go figure. scala rider needs to make phones lol
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Duff8402
Lifetime Premium

Just noticed on their website while I was lookin for a PDF of the instruction manual that they now have a Scala Rider G4... It's a little bit more costly than I would want to spend on something like that, but it's got the A2DP technology I'm sure I'll live without it for now though. Next on the purchase list is one of them CorsairV's that you have at the most insanely low price I've ever seen . Seriously, how the f*** can you stay in business with deals like that?!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

We do what we can. juggling price, quality, and service is our #1 goal and greatest challenge. I just picked up the Arai corsair V after going from my first helmet an arai to a vemar, scorpion, shark, and back to arai. I'll never leave Arai again after going back.

Just because it's on their website doesn't mean that version is available yet. As of now their one distributor still doesn't even have it. remember the pcV ,bazzaz, durrani releases lol. being on a website and being available are very different. Thanks for the heads up as we'll surely keep an eye out for it now.

Check us out on Facebook too.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
Duff8402
Lifetime Premium

Had the wife call me on my way home from work this evening. Buzzing 65mph down the interstate, she heard me perfect and I heard her perfect. Didn't even have to raise my voice. I was talking so softly I couldn't even slightly hear myself but she heard me clear as day, and I heard her just as well. Friggin awesome product
Old 09-27-2009, 02:40 AM   #7
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Yup. I learned the hard way that if ANY noise comes out of your mouth they can hear you lol.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Duff8402
Lifetime Premium

One complaint... It's hard as HELL to find a radio station on this thing. I'm thinking the receiver's antenna isn't all that great on it, I can't seem to find the rock station I always listen to...and they should have about one of the strongest amplifiers in Oklahoma City, they've been around for quite a while.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

yup, the radio station thing is hard. Erin and I are going out today and will be using the scala rider. Hopefully gixxervixxen gets back to us soon though...
Old 09-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

oh yah, forgot. When you do find your station duff make sure to save it on one of the 6 "quick picks" or whatever. when you save that station you can then find it in 6 pushes of the button. I found my fav finally and saved it in my quicklist
Old 09-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Duff8402
Lifetime Premium

Way ahead of ya there, lol
Old 09-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #12
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

most people are ahead of me so don't go feeling special LOL. the funny thing is last time i was riding my friend had a chatterbox up in mn. we were both talking while riding via cell phones lol.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #13
Duff8402
Lifetime Premium

And my solution to wireless music (other than radio) I bought an FM tuner that powers itself off my iPod or iPhone, and tuned the built in FM radio to the station that said FM tuner is transmitting to

Cheap little POS lookin' tuner, but a buddy and I swapped bikes the other day so he could get the feel of a GSXR over his F4i. I had my phone still in my tank bag still playing music and I could still hear it in my headset from about 4 or 5 bikelengths away from him.

Also has a plug in to charge the iPhone / iPod, so I cut a piece of aluminum to bolt under my steering stem nut that serves as a bracket for an all weather 12v outlet to plug in to if the battery's gettin low
Old 10-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

just don't go dancing to the beat on your bike or you'll look like a krazie
Old 10-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #15
Duff8402
Lifetime Premium

I can't help it... Specially when this tune comes on

Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #16
Duff8402
Lifetime Premium

Should've waited I see the G4 with A2DP is available on MM's website now
Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
BigScoots
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff8402 View Post
Well, the FM tuner sounds great while riding
I have the same setup and the intercom and bluetooth work great, but how'd you get your FM tuner to sound good? All the stations I get are fuzzy and the only clear ones seem to be some talk radio stations.
BigScoots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
Duff8402
Lifetime Premium

Didn't do anything It just does. It was a pain in the ass finding the radio stations, I ended up sitting in my car with my helmet on and scanning through the stations till the music matched what was on my car stereo But once I found them they sounded fine
Old 04-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
motopsycho231
Back Marker

I love mine. should be upgrading to the g4 soon@!
motopsycho231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #20
Duff8402
Lifetime Premium

I'll probably wait a while to upgrade. The Q2 was outrageously expensive when it first came out, and lowered in price a good deal when I bought mine. Give it a year or two and the G4 will be more affordable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in