Need advice on extended swingarm install on 95' GSXR 1100: SHOCK or STRUT? (Pictures) : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 05-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
BIG DX 1100
Squid

Motorcycle: 1995 GSXR 1100
Need advice on extended swingarm install on 95' GSXR 1100: SHOCK or STRUT? (Pictures)

Okay so I bought this extended swingarm off of E-Bay to get installed on my 95' 1100.

It's in the process of getting installed at my friends shop right now.

In that pic above from E-Bay.......the swingarm is UPSIDE DOWN. The brace is supposed to be facing UP....not facing downward.

Anyway.....when they turned the swingarm right side up.....they ran into a CLEARANCE PROBLEM were the rear shock suspension has no room to travel.
So basically when the bike is sat down the swingarm pushes the shock assembly up into the battery under the seat.....DAMNIT!

So the options presented to me were:

1. Cut the top of the brace on the swingarm down...fabricate it and chrome it.

2. ditch the shock assembly altogether and use a STRUT instead.

I chose #2 to save money man. I don't have the loot to get the swingarm altered. And the dudes really didn't want to do it anyway I could tell.

My question to you guys is:

HOW WILL RIDING ON A STRUT INSTEAD OF A REAR SHOCK AFFECT MY RIDE COMFORT/HANDLING/PASSENGER COMFORT??????

The bike is already helluva uncomfortable to ride because it's basically a detuned race bike.......but my boy told me he rode on a bike with a rear strut for 2 years. He told me that I would have to run a lower tire pressure on the rear wheel and that would be enough to get by. We have MAJOR POTHOLES in Michigan man.

Anybody out there have a REAR STRUT set-up now or can offer any advice on if my kidneys will still be usable after riding a bike with just a strut and no shock?

BTW....all I do is cruise around man. I don't go to the track. Although I will drag race from time to time when someone wants to test me at a stop light.

Last edited by BIG DX 1100; 05-25-2009 at 06:35 PM.
BIG DX 1100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Suzuki Duke
PM me for Brotection

Motorcycle: 01 996 & DRZ400 Motard
Re: Need advice on extended swingarm install on 95' GSXR 1100: SHOCK or STRUT? (Pictu

You sure the brace is supposed to be flipped from the picture? I see people riding around with them like that pretty regularly.

Of course the general consensus on this site is that a bike with swingarm extensions is a waste, so why bother anyway?

BTW, I agree with that school of thought, and don't think that a stretched bike belongs anywhere but on a 1/4 mile strip.
Suzuki Duke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Losymis
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: The one "you" hacked at GDC!!
Re: Need advice on extended swingarm install on 95' GSXR 1100: SHOCK or STRUT? (Pictu

I kinda like your idea #2
Losymis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
BIG DX 1100
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Duke View Post
You sure the brace is supposed to be flipped from the picture? I see people riding around with them like that pretty regularly.
Yeah I thought it was the correct way as well. The previous owner of the bike must have thought so as well!

But my dude has his own custom bike shop. He's done many extended swingarms and he said that when he hooked it up like on the picture the shock assembly bolt was on the opposite side of where it should have been.

When he flipped it....the shock assembly was able to bolt right up......except it didn't have proper clearance.

I bought the swingarm as is so theres no instructions on how to install it.

As for guys not liking swingarms....hey man....every guy is not the same. Different strokes for different folks! Some buy their bikes for track days....others buy them for the looks and speed.

I bought mine for the looks and speed.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Spitz04
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K7 1000

No suspension sounds like a huge receipe for disaster to me. Suspension does a lot more than just "make the ride better". Its there to keep the tires in constant contact with the road, putting a solid strut in is first going to shock load the shit out of any component in that general vacinity, ie the swingarm, any joints, your backbone and ass.. The tire is the only thing acting as the suspension which isnt a lot! But, either way about it, good luck.
Spitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
BIG DX 1100
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losymis View Post
I kinda like your idea #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitz04 View Post
No suspension sounds like a huge receipe for disaster to me. Suspension does a lot more than just "make the ride better". Its there to keep the tires in constant contact with the road, putting a solid strut in is first going to shock load the shit out of any component in that general vacinity, ie the swingarm, any joints, your backbone and ass.. The tire is the only thing acting as the suspension which isnt a lot! But, either way about it, good luck.
OKAY NOW THIS RESPONSE HELPED ME OUT ALOT.
I'm going down to the shop tommorrow to find another route to take man.

I asked about me finding/buying a smaller sock assembly or something. There has GOT to be more than just 2 ways of solving this problem.

I'm going to have him look at this thread to see the various responses. But he swore up and down that using a strut is not that bad and that he did it on his last bike?
Old 05-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
mdillon
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: 94 750

what kind of shock were you trying to use?
mdillon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
utp216
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 93/95 GSXR 750

I saw that chassis on eBay. Did he sell you just the swingarm? I guess it wouldn't sell as a roller.
utp216 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
BIG DX 1100
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdillon View Post
what kind of shock were you trying to use?
I have the stock suzuki shock that came with the bike from the factory.....and the extended swingarm had a bigger aftermarket shock with it as well. But niether one allowed for enough clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utp216 View Post
I saw that chassis on eBay. Did he sell you just the swingarm? I guess it wouldn't sell as a roller.

Yeah.....I figured someone would recognize it. I lucked out because it was a local PICK-UP only item. They would not ship.

They are right down the street from my friends house.

They sold everything in the picture as a unit. They refused to part it out (I just wanted the swingarm & rims) so I bought the whole thing for $1,000.

I'm selling my stock chrome & purple rims that came with the bike from the factory for $200 + S&H.

....also the stock swingarm is going on sale. Oh...and the gas tank , frame (no title) and the whole front fairing is for sale if anybody is interested. I can list it on E-Bay or we can do it straight up using paypal.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Smittybizzle
Rookie

Motorcycle: 03 GSX-R 600/1000

Don't get the strut please
Smittybizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
nitrous36
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"

Motorcycle: K4 GSXR 600

How about:

mounting it like its supposed to be(as shown in the pic),

getting a different extended swingarm,

or not getting a extended swingarm at all

nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
BIG DX 1100
Squid

OKAY. I just got off the phone with him and he told me the strut he ordred.

Here is the strut: http://www.ppmcustom.com/StrutsA.asp

e-bay has them as well: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GSXR-...lenotsupported

Looks good to me. From what I just googled....the strut is not too much different than the shock. It looks like I was worried for nothing.

Last edited by BIG DX 1100; 05-25-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
BIG DX 1100
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittybizzle View Post
Don't get the strut please
WHY?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
BIG DX 1100
Squid

Okay so I just picked up my bike from the shop a few hours ago. Looks and rides great so far!

I really didn't feel too much of a difference running the strut.

I felt a "little" difference...don't get me wrong.....but nothing to make me regret the changes made.

Soon as I pulled up to my garage I got a compliment from a passer-by! My shit looks SWEET with the chrome rims and 10 over extension.

Will post before and after pics in a few!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #15
BIG DX 1100
Squid

BEFORE

AFTER

Sorry but I took this pic with my camera phone. Once I clean her up good and shine her up i'll use my digital camera to post better pics. Most likely this weekend if it's hot out.

The new chain lube is all over the place man. Shit...it's going to be hell trying to get that crap off of my chrome. Dude at the shop told me the lube should settle down after a few days of riding.

Oh yeah.....I went with a larger rear sprocket and ditched my stock one.

The larger rear sprocket should give me a quicker take-off but will cut down my top end. I already have a stage 3 jet kit intalled so the old school is kinda fast. I've raced newer bikes and won. Even lifted up the front end all the way by accident in one race. With the new sprocket i'll be even quicker off the line and won't have to worry about wheelies.

Last edited by BIG DX 1100; 05-26-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #16
Spitz04
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K7 1000

Just keep in mind your suspension is no longer there and if your carving any canyons it may upset the bike a lot..
Spitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in