Introducing EL TORO - THE TIRE KILLER : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 05-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
IridiumRed
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: RIP El Toro. Long live new bike BIG FOXIE! Ex KWS AMA 08 GSXR1000
Introducing EL TORO - THE TIRE KILLER

Hey Guys

This thread is gonna be about building my bike - The one that shall forever be known as EL TORO - THE TIRE KILLER.

Why "El Toro" ? Because, as Borat would say, "It is STRONG, Like BULL". And the bull has great hunger for tires

I'm starting the thread because -
1. Its fun to share
2. I've learned so much from this site. Really seen some good threads on here. Its about time I start giving something back !!
3. Lots of smart guys on here. Never know when someone will give you

Anyways, I'm working on it right now, just starting the motor build. I'm going to start this thread off with some basic info, and throw some pics up. I'll keep adding pics

Basic info -

Motor -
1143 (4mm stroke, 3mm bore). Counterbalancer removed.
Pro ported head. Fresh valve job.
Carillo rods
1mm bigger intake valves
13.something compression ratio (haven't determined what I will be running exactly yet, I have 3 headgaskets to choose from - .028, .030, .036. And yes, I CC EVERYTHING to get the "true" static compression, I'm not just reading it off the box of the pistons!!
Big cams (.400 lift / 260 @ .040 intake, .358 242 @ .050 exhaust)
carpenter valve springs / yosh keepers (for durability)
Hindle full exhaust system (Superbike model, tapered headers, big dia through muffler)
Full studs
undercut tranny
Billet clutch basket
44mm throttlebodies (2mm overbore)
Powercommander
Velocity Stacks
Ceramic trans bearing
High volume oil pump gear (stock pressure relief valve though)
oil baffle
Carbon fiber ram air tubes
going to get Factory Pro to flow balance my injectors
Got a brand new K7 fuel pump that I'm going to use. Might modify the regulator for slightly higher fuel pressure (for finer fuel spray) - maybe aim for low/mid 50's
Putting in a brand new stock K4 oil pump too - never hurts .... good insurance

Extras -
16.5 inch forged mag marchesini's. Ceramic wheel bearings.
Have 16.5 cast mag Marvics for the track, stock wheel bearings. Got 5 of these really cheap, so i'd rather mess them up on the track than the nice Marchesini's!!
Road race slicks (200/70 Dunlop rear)
Superbike radiator (gonna take some work to make this work!!!)
Aluminum gas tank (ex superbike / endurance racer, 5 lbs lighter?). MIGHT run this tank, probably stick with stock tank this year due to time constraints
1.5lb battery (speedcell)
Quickshifter
Race bodywork for track. Have spare bodywork that I might convert to street bodywork for ease of swapping (also have nice clean stock bodywork that I use for the street)
2 shift lights (left one for about 10K, right for about 12K)
K5 forks, low mileage, with AK20's
Attack triple clamps, adjustable offset

Brakes -
Just bought an ISR master cylinder, can't WAIT to try it!!
Also got ZX14 Nissin calipers (8 pistons total, one pad per piston). Also haven't run, can't wait!
-2 stainless lines
Brembo 320mm rotors

Anyways. Thats just a start on the list..... theres more !!!!!!!! But that will come in time

OK, I'm going to throw some initial pics on. I'll keep adding to them, just gotta start somewhere!!

But first, lets get a few things out of the way -

A. YES, I KNOW THAT THIS BIKE IS COMPLETELY INSANE, COMPLETELY USELESS, THAT I CAN'T EVEN USE THE POWER OF THE STOCK MOTOR, OR EVEN MAX OUT THE STOCK CHASSIS.
B. YES, I KNOW THAT IF I WANTED TO GO FAST ON THE TRACK I'D BE BETTER OFF WITH A COMPLETELY STOCK GSXR600 (ok, maybe do fork springs and brake pads).
C. YES, I KNOW I'M PROBABLY VENTURING INTO AN AREA WHERE ONLY PROFESSIONAL MECHANICS SHOULD GO. I MAY BE BUILDING A TICKING TIME BOMB.
D. IF YOU DONT APPRECIATE OR ENJOY WHAT I'M DOING, I DONT GIVE A FUCK. THIS IS MY DREAM, THIS IS WHAT I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO. I REALLY DONT HAVE ANYTHING ELSE IN MY LIFE THAT I REALLY CARE ABOUT. Doing this sort of thing is really the only reason I have to wake up in the morning. The rest of my life is kinda boring and shitty. That might sound pathetic, and maybe it is, but at the end of the day - at least I have ONE thing that I care about. That puts me one ahead of a lot of people.
E. Pointing out the uselessness of this build is probably just going to encourage me to do even more.... so dont waste your breath....

Anyways!! Enough of that....... Introducing EL TORO !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 001 Cut Down.jpg (74.9 KB, 4675 views)
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 004 ISR Master Cut.jpg (34.8 KB, 4607 views)
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 005 ISR Master Cut.jpg (46.5 KB, 4608 views)
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 008 Attack Triples Cut.jpg (62.3 KB, 4621 views)
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 009 Superbike Rad Cut.jpg (103.2 KB, 4633 views)
IridiumRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
IridiumRed
Lifetime Premium

Re: Introducing EL TORO - THE TIRE KILLER

More Pics. Check out the one of my tire / wheel room. I just built all that a couple of months ago (did it mostly by myself, that was a bit of a bitch...). Btw, my buddy has a trackbike too, I built his bike and am his mechanic too, so thats part of the reason I have so many tires / wheels. Also, I had to stock up on 16'5s to make sure I would have enough this year !!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 010 Superbike Rad Cut.jpg (84.7 KB, 4627 views)
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 011 Bottom End Clearancing Cut.jpg (82.2 KB, 4627 views)
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 014 Bottom End Clearancing Cut.jpg (46.6 KB, 4590 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003 Tire Rack Cut.jpg (49.1 KB, 4613 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004 Tire Rack Cut.jpg (47.6 KB, 4588 views)
Old 05-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
IridiumRed
Lifetime Premium

Here are some old pics of the complete bike (from... 3 years ago?)

Back when it had a stock motor and 17" cast mag PVM's.....

The bike will look basically like this. Same bodywork. The can has been cut down 5" now though (to 15 inches....)

Picture 007 El Toro Old Cut.jpg

Picture 008 El Toro Old Cut.jpg

Picture 009 El Toro Old Cut.jpg
Old 05-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
gunther1000
It burns down where I sit

Motorcycle: K6
Lightbulb Re: Introducing EL TORO - THE TIRE KILLER

Daaaaam son!

Look's like you are on the right track so far!

That radiator looks like it could keep a V-10 cool!

I want moooooore!

gunther1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
YellowGSXR1000
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 1000 w/ J-Force Exhaust

Awsome!
YellowGSXR1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
IridiumRed
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunther1000 View Post
Daaaaam son!

Look's like you are on the right track so far!

That radiator looks like it could keep a V-10 cool!

I want moooooore!
Thanks man!! Stuff like that encourages me. In a positive way! I've had a crazy shitty year, From
-Having a kitchen fire at my house that resulted in half the house being COMPLETELY rebuilt,
-Having massive transitions at work (my company quadrupled its size in north america this year by buying 4 other companies), resulting in -
lots of reorganization. I'm on my FOURTH BOSS IN 12 MONTHS. Also I had to do the job of 3 people all by myself for a while there
-My dad got cancer in his eye. He had to have radiation treatment.... and so far he's doing well, thankfully
-State farm cancelling my home owners insurance & blackballing me. bank was gonna foreclose on my house.... so I sold it to my parents. Fuck you State Farm !!
-Having surgery a month ago - had a scary problem "with my junk" Lets no go into details, lets just say it sucked and was scary. I'm healed now though!!

Blah blah blah .... everyone has problems. But now I'm just focused on getting this bike done !!

Btw, while I'm thinking of it, I do want to say THANKS to a few folks (there are more, these are just the ones I'm thinking about right now)

Tim Radley - for giving me a bunch of information last year, on what to do and not to do, and in general for his other posts on here. If El Toro blows up, dont blame him though, I take full responsibility
JeffW - for inspiring me to do this stupid shit, for showing me that going way, way, way too far is barely enough
Chuckles - Thanks for the cam timing info, and other info. Also for inspiring me to keep going with this build (along with just being a personal hero after he blew up his motor, took it like a man, and is getting right back on that horse!!!)

Oh, one more random mention - Thanks to Steve Rapp - I dont think I've ever spoken with him, but I do recall seeing him at some of Pridmore's STAR schools. Anyways, what he did this year at the Daytona 200, running the whole race on ONE set of tires....... awesome. Just awesome. That guy probably needs a wheelbarrow to haul around those big brass balls ! Thanks to him for showing us all how you should go for what you want, dont let details get in your way
Old 05-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
mlissa2007
Wants Robert Pattinson to explore his Twilight Starfish

Motorcycle: 06 kws gsxr 1143 stroker track, 11 gsxr 600 street, 09 drz400sm street/dirt

built motors suck. this thread is boring.

im just playing man. built motors are the tits. anytime i see a thread or post on a built motor, im in to comment and it makes me happy

good job so far

j
mlissa2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
mdillon
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: 94 750

subscribed. i want to see this thing done!
mdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
gixxbynite
Rookie

keep up the good work.
gixxbynite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
THEMANRACING
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 00 R1, 08 G1K

This is awesome man

I love the first post!! I completely understand...lol Someone always has to say something stupid...lol

Looks like the master cylinder could stop the Terminator...lol Thats a serious piece.

I have never built a stroker motor myself. Never had that kind of money, or a customer with that kind of money...lol Totally bad ass you are doing it yourself.
THEMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
raiderone
Novice

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 1000

Insane shit bro! Keep us updated! For the haters
raiderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
IridiumRed
Lifetime Premium

Hey guys

Thanks for all the encouragement. We're gonna have some fun! This is just beginning

Btw, I looked at the photos above, and realized just how much has changed on the bike since then... ! Except for the frame, bodywork, clipons, swingarm, almost everything has been changed!

New forks (k5's with AK20's)
Engine (I rebuilt that motor & built my buddy a bike around it, using a spare frame I had)
wheels (Now marchesini's and Marvics, depending on the day)
Brake rotors (now Brembo's)
Brake calipers (now ZX14)
Triple clamps (now Attack adjustables)
Rearsets (now Attack's, those vortex in pics are on my buddy's bike now, and those PVMs are his "other" set of wheels - I am loaning him a set of 16.5 marvics for this season)
exhaust - chopped can
radiator
oil cooler

Anyways. Back to work on motor. I'm getting close to getting the case clearanced for the stroker crank. Am gonna have to work on the clutch basket though, I think its gonna hit the #4 rod.... the stock basket hit, this is a Falicon billet basket, and initial measurements ... dont look good.

I have a feeling I'll need to grind down the backside connecting rod bolt on #4.... or cut the basket.....

I'll be taking pics.

Cutting the rod would be easier, but I really dont want to. And it will screw up the balance too, I'd have to lighten every other rod / bolt to make it match. I dont like the idea of cutting on a connecting rod bolt, thats gotta be the highest load faster on the bike?

Btw, here's an initial shot of the clutch basket. I'm going to assemble this on the tranny input shaft, look for contact.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 022 Clutch Basket Cut.jpg (62.6 KB, 4446 views)
Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
nitrous36
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"

Motorcycle: K4 GSXR 600

Sweet!

You got any vid.
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
THEMANRACING
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 00 R1, 08 G1K

who did you use for the head work and crank work if you don't mind answering? Just curious.

what power level are you looking for?
THEMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
k5-1000-757VA
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 750

LEVERS and the bike alone. its looks like you got a nice setup going on
k5-1000-757VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #16
IridiumRed
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMANRACING View Post
This is awesome man

I love the first post!! I completely understand...lol Someone always has to say something stupid...lol

Looks like the master cylinder could stop the Terminator...lol Thats a serious piece.

I have never built a stroker motor myself. Never had that kind of money, or a customer with that kind of money...lol Totally bad ass you are doing it yourself.
Thanks man!

About the first post, I already know what the negative people will say, so I thought I'd just go ahead and say it for them, so that we could get down to the good shit

This is my dream, and I dont CARE if anyone else likes it

Oh yeah, I'm not exactly rich.... I just have a set of priorities different than most people.

Just to keep this in perspective, I'm attaching a photo of where I sleep. The fire wiped out almost all of my furniture. The insurance company will buy me new stuff, but honestly I just haven't had time. So I bought this used mattress for $30 bucks from my friends.

Right now, I'd rather sleep on this crappy old mattress and have time to work on my bike, than dick around in a furniture store!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits Bed Cut.jpg (67.2 KB, 4438 views)
Old 05-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #17
luker669
Rookie

Motorcycle: k7 gsxr1000,k6 750

looks like its going to be fucking awesome ,,,,,sweet
best of luck to ya
luker669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #18
IridiumRed
Lifetime Premium

Ok, gotta get the old clutch basket off the tranny, to replace with new billet clutch basket. Also have brand new OEM clutch pressure plate & inner hub.

Pics show:

Fully assembled clutch / tranny input shaft

Empty basket after removing clutch fibers / steels, etc

Clutch plates (the fibers / steels have low miles on them & look good, so I will reuse. I AM going to put in a ZX10 judder plate / clutch cushion though. If I run into probs with stack height, I'll just put thinner steels in...)
That pic also shows the HD clutch springs I got from Schnitz. I do like those springs (I have run them for a while).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 023 Tranny & Old Basket - Cut.jpg (66.5 KB, 4397 views)
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 024 Old Basket Bare Cut.jpg (92.4 KB, 4390 views)
File Type: jpg Tasty Bits 025 Clutch Plates & Springs Cut.jpg (97.5 KB, 4388 views)
Old 05-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #19
NTSing
Novice

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 1000 red/black

Holly Crap! This bike is going to be SICK SICK SICK!

BTW, I dig your positive attitude. My brother just had his second bought with cancer at 36. He's doing very well as I hope you and your father do too. Keep your head up and have fun with this thing. We're all jealous.
NTSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #20
IridiumRed
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMANRACING View Post
who did you use for the head work and crank work if you don't mind answering? Just curious.

what power level are you looking for?

Sorry for the double post, I'm probably gonna be doing that a lot, but its easier to answer Q this way

Anyways, this motor was supposed to have come from Rob Dowie's F1 bike, which qualified first in the 2004 Toyota 200 race. He broke his neck though (I hear that he fully healed though & went back racing, but he was of course out of it for a while!!)

The team switched bikes though (from Suzuki to Kawasaki), and with this wreck, this motor spent a long time in storage. So by the time I got it, it was a used up old race motor. It even had rust on the valve seats (exhausts anyways, the intakes are bronze).

Thats what I was TOLD anyways - that it was Dowie's motor. The head is marked as Lees Performance, and a guy who worked there says that Lee's did indeed do the head on Dowie's bike... and that the serial # sounded like it was in the right range. So maybe it was Dowie's motor, maybe it wasn't *shrugs*

The head is fully ported. 1mm over intake valves, Ferrea stainless valves, on bronze seats. Stock size exhaust valves, I put in a brand new OEM set of exhaust valves last year.

Everything in that motor was super loose. Very loose bearings. BIG piston to wall clearance. Valves were very loose in the guides. Cylinder walls had lots of scratches, and were worn pretty smooth....

It was already a 1070 (+3mm bore).

I had Millenium replate the block, and slightly deck the block. Just the minimum cut to clean the surface (about .002) & make perfectly flat

I had RCS replace ALL the valve guides with aftermarket bronze. Then do a good valve job & slightly deck the head - just enough, like the block, for a perfectly smooth surface (about .003 cut)

I've used RCS for almost all the parts - they seem like really good folks, and they have a whole bunch of this stuff in stock, which is nice!!

I got the following parts from RCS
+4mm stroker crank (crank work was done by Marine Cranks), which has the counterbalancer gear removed, balanced, journals polished & nitrided
Web Cams
JE pistons (a custom mold that RCS has JE do for them. RCS also milled the bowl on the piston about .080 deeper, for less compression). The pistons are slipper style, and whats nice is that the piston pin has been moved up 2mm, so that normal length rods can be used - no need for short "stroker" rods. Better rod/stroke length ratio!

Someone asked about video. I dont have much easily available right now, at least on me. BUT, check out the video below. This is from Heartland Park Topeka. My best friend is on the pink bike, right in front of the camera bike for most of this clip (though you mostly see the white bottom of his tail....). We've been best friends for about 25 years now.

Anyways, the bike in that video was completely built by me. Thats what you do for a good friend

I took the motor that originally was in El Toro, rebuilt it, and then put that motor in a spare frame that I had. Then I built the rest of the bike around it, piece by piece.

Sometimes you can see me in the video - I'm in black leathers, on a black bike (EL TORO)......... right in front of my buddy.... HAHAHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5mp2drj4Tk

Also, I'm including some pics of my buddy's bike. The pink bodywork came from JJ Roetlin, who raced in AMA Superbike for a little while. We met at one of Pridmore's STAR schools (JJ was an instructor there at the time). We became friends and kept in touch. When he got out of racing, I bought one of his sets of bodywork. Also got lots of other parts from him.

Anyways, El Toro would probably be finished now, but I promised my buddy I would finish his bike first (did a lot of work to it over the winter, new cams, quickshifter, power commander, shift light, changed offset in front triple clamps, new fork springs, put on a set of my 16.5 Marvics, etc etc).

Also, I sent his tank out to be painted to match the rest of the bike. Now the tank is gonna be bright pink.

I renamed his bike BITCH (its pink & pretty & will fuck you over if you dont pay enough attention!!). So that makes our two bikes THE BITCH & THE BULL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001 THE BITCH Cut.jpg (69.0 KB, 4354 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002 THE BITCH Cut.jpg (87.3 KB, 4348 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement