GSXR 750 powered yamaha warrior 350 PROJECT : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Bugman's Projects: 02 GSX-R 1000

Old 04-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
WesTXwitesnake
Squid

GSXR 750 powered yamaha warrior 350 PROJECT

Ok.. i dont ride bikes but i have started a nice little project! The quad (4wheeler) is a 00' yamaha (yeah i know) warrior 350. The good part is it is powered by a 00' suzuki gsxr 750. And Since this has became quite a project i thought id do some research and seek some help from people who know more about this powerplant than i do. i have tons of questions.... I plan on doing a basic motor rebuild myself, i know my way around motors but this is the first bike motor i have worked on. So when the time comes any tips tricks or whatever would be greatly appriciated. For all the details on this project please check out this page http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=15618

here are some pics:

here is the wiring harness.. the guy who origionally built this hacked it up pretty good. since this photo i have labled most of what i could find and wired in a gauge cluster.

now prepare for questions...

Last edited by WesTXwitesnake; 04-17-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
WesTXwitesnake
Squid

Re: GSXR 750 powered yamaha warrior 350 PROJECT

ok first off i want the tach on the gauge cluster to work and possibly the speedo, what do i need to hook up for that to work? what is the speed sensor and what does it go to? ive found the connector.. whats it connect to?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
IridiumRed
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: RIP El Toro. Long live new bike BIG FOXIE! Ex KWS AMA 08 GSXR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTXwitesnake View Post
ok first off i want the tach on the gauge cluster to work and possibly the speedo, what do i need to hook up for that to work? what is the speed sensor and what does it go to? ive found the connector.. whats it connect to?
Theres a cover over the front (engine) chain sprocket. The sensor goes there.

There's one nut that secures the front sprocket, and then there is a special "castle nut" that goes on top of that (it attaches with an allen head bolt that screws into the center of the output shaft).

The sensor on the cover "sees" the posts on the castle nut going by, and calculates speed based on that

That castle nut has another purpose too, it acts as a secondary backup for the nut holding the front sprocket on (in my opinion)
Old 04-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
WesTXwitesnake
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumRed View Post
Theres a cover over the front (engine) chain sprocket. The sensor goes there.

There's one nut that secures the front sprocket, and then there is a special "castle nut" that goes on top of that (it attaches with an allen head bolt that screws into the center of the output shaft).

The sensor on the cover "sees" the posts on the castle nut going by, and calculates speed based on that

That castle nut has another purpose too, it acts as a secondary backup for the nut holding the front sprocket on (in my opinion)
thanks man i appricate the help. looks like im missing the sensor and the castle nut. there is one large nut like you said but there doesnt seem to be enough thread left on the output shaft for anything else to screw onto?

would a sensor from an 01 gsxr 1000 work?

Last edited by WesTXwitesnake; 04-18-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
gunther1000
It burns down where I sit

Motorcycle: K6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTXwitesnake View Post
thanks man i appricate the help. looks like im missing the sensor and the castle nut. there is one large nut like you said but there doesnt seem to be enough thread left on the output shaft for anything else to screw onto?

would a sensor from an 01 gsxr 1000 work?
I'd be willing to bet that the 01 will work.

P.S. Looks good man! I put my 2001 Gsx-r 1000 motor in a 2002 Yamaha Raptor Frame. But it was an intercooled Turbo... 10" over swing arm wasn't near enough I think.

I sold it to the owner of off road armadilo (sp?) in MT.

He does sand drag hill climbs with it.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
WesTXwitesnake
Squid

Sweet, I'll see if I can find a sensor.. thanks man. Shit I bet that quad was insane! I want this one to be more than just a drag quad tho. I'd like to tear up the dunes and haul ass on long desert trails (Baja 500 type stuff) No crazy stunts or huge jumps. I just wanna go fast
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
brocklanders
Rookie

Motorcycle: 07GSXR750

Sweet ride! I wanna try that thing.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Shanes750
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K7 GSXR 750 K6 (track)GSXR 600

Damn! Looks awesome!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
WesTXwitesnake
Squid

UPDATE:
just about finished working on the frame and suspension. still need to find a radiator to build the mounts for it. time to finish all the wiring and see if this thing will run. slowly but suely its comming together.

thinking of ditching the plastics and fabricating some body panels out of thin gauge aluminum.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
WesTXwitesnake
Squid

During some dissassembly I found out the thermostat was stuck open so i went looking for one but the 2000 model thermostat housing was different from mine, WTF?? This meant i didnt have a 2000 model motor!?!
I got the engine number and called my local Suzuki dealer... After some research i was informed that the number matched up to a 1998-99 bike. So this started a whole new parts seach. The same day i found a guy who has a 99 gsxr 750 he is parting out! Talk about luck!! I needed several parts like a radiator, speed sensor, exhaust, and a few other small parts to get this motor running like it should. I talked to the guy and he has all the parts i needed and is asking very fair prices for them so i am very excited!!!

If all checks out good i will be getting his speed sensor to get the tach and speedo to work, His custom Yoshimura exhaust with header, and complete radiator (with fan, sensors, all hoses, overflow container, thermostat and housings!)

Once i get all these parts i can finish the fabrication on the frame, brackets, and motor mounts. Once everything is hooked up and mounted perfect i will take the motor to the Suzuki dealer to get it all checked out have the valves adjusted and whatever else it needs. hopefully there wont be any serious problems with the motor!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! i cant wait to get this thing running!! wish me luck!
Old 11-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
BandheeBoy
Squid

Motorcycle: 1988 banshee with a 1997 gsxr 600 engine in it

i have a 97 gsxr 600 i got from my uncle it has been crashed... i think everything is there except the gas tank and all the gauges... im planning on putting the engine in a 88 banshee... i want to get it running before i take it out... what wires do i need to mess with for the ignition to get the key to the on position...(there is no key assembly or gauges) and so on to get the thing started?
Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #12
WesTXwitesnake
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandheeBoy View Post
i have a 97 gsxr 600 i got from my uncle it has been crashed... i think everything is there except the gas tank and all the gauges... im planning on putting the engine in a 88 banshee... i want to get it running before i take it out... what wires do i need to mess with for the ignition to get the key to the on position...(there is no key assembly or gauges) and so on to get the thing started?

man i'd have to look at my ignition to be able to tell you. you could just get a new ignition.. maybe hook up a push button start?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:12 AM   #13
oofastlineoo
Novice

that thing must be sick to ride......
Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
krivs388
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 98 Suzuki GSX-R 1100

that bike must screw. talk about a roost! i can only imagine how far the roost shoots lol
Old 08-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
krivs388
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 98 Suzuki GSX-R 1100

that bike must screw. talk about a roost! i can only imagine how far the roost shoots lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement