How hard is it to take off the fairings? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 08-10 GSX-R600/750

Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
toneth
Back Marker

Motorcycle: K8 600
How hard is it to take off the fairings?

I just purchased a set of FS6 no cut sliders for my K8 600, and am a bit nervous about damaging my fairing trying to take it off. This is the first bike I've owned, and I'm a complete klutz. I can't even find my damn torque wrench. How hard is it to actually get these off and snap them back on? I really, really, don't want to mess anything up as it's only got 200 miles on it. Can I pretty much just tighten these back up til "it feels tight", or does it have to be exact?
toneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
mz3onturn7
Novice

Motorcycle: 08 gsxr 600
Re: How hard is it to take off the fairings?

I got my K8 2 weeks ago and the first thing I did once it was in my garage was pull off the fairings to install the no cut sliders. Getting the fairings off is a little tricky but you can do it if your patient. If you get frustrated easily don't attempt it, but on the other hand if you have time to play with it you'll get them off just fine. You'll need (if I remember correctly) a 4mm hex driver and a small flat head screw driver to take the fairings off. I dont remember the size of the engine bolt that has to be removed to mount the sliders but I think it is an 8mm. Put some electrical tape on the head of the flat head so you dont scratch the plastic fasteners and BE GENTLE.

If the bike hasn't seen its first oil change yet you may want to do that at the same time while the fairings are off. Look in the manual for some pics and instruction regarding fairing removal and the oil change.

Its not difficult.
mz3onturn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
leveltwo
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K8/6

they are kinda hard, but once you figure out everything, its cake.
leveltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
rraiderr
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Stretched and slammed Busa

Regardless if you are going to keep the bike you need to know how to take the fairing off. You should be doing a nut and bolt check and visual inspection often.

Buy a torque wrench and learn to take the fairings off.

I bet there is a fellow gixxer member near you who would be will to help you.
rraiderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
deebee
Back Marker

Motorcycle: k8 gixxxer 600, yz250f, harley

they can take a fair bashing. It feels like ya gunna break something but once you done it and understand how it clips back together (and realise that it isnt going to snap) it becomes sooooo easy. Give it a go!!!
deebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
4G63AWD
Rookie

Motorcycle: K7 GSXR 600

i can easily strip my whole bike down in about 30-45min...shouldnt take that long or be that hard...K7 600
4G63AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
destrillt
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneth View Post
I just purchased a set of FS6 no cut sliders for my K8 600, and am a bit nervous about damaging my fairing trying to take it off. This is the first bike I've owned, and I'm a complete klutz. I can't even find my damn torque wrench. How hard is it to actually get these off and snap them back on? I really, really, don't want to mess anything up as it's only got 200 miles on it. Can I pretty much just tighten these back up til "it feels tight", or does it have to be exact?

Dude its VERY HARD!! I installed a power commander on my bike and other stuff, I just did no cut frame sliders two days ago and now my side fairings have chips in the paint , becareful man get a professional. Im driving 2 hours tomorrow to get vents/fairing replaced w/my new carbon fiber ones and paying $25 just so they'll be put on without damage or breaking tabs or making anything fucked up
destrillt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
rraiderr
!##NULL##!

You really think so or are you kidding around?

It takes me longer to remove the bolts that it does to pull the fairing off.

Maybe I am a bad example as I have been doing it on so many different bike for so many years.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
destrillt
!##NULL##!

It sucks that I can't get my side fairings off easily, I got them almost 100% off the other day when I installed my no cut frame sliders but one spot was stuck, so I just pulled them out a little to install it, which worked..

I couldn't find the spot it was stuck on (i got the little screw inside that was hooking it to the vent, i did all the poppers, etc etc)

and second of all the vent part and upper fairing I don't think ill ever be able to take off I tried but seems impossible
destrillt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
deebee
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by destrillt View Post
Dude its VERY HARD!! I installed a power commander on my bike and other stuff, I just did no cut frame sliders two days ago and now my side fairings have chips in the paint , becareful man get a professional. Im driving 2 hours tomorrow to get vents/fairing replaced w/my new carbon fiber ones and paying $25 just so they'll be put on without damage or breaking tabs or making anything fucked up
no offence mate but how the fuk did u get chips in the paint?? There is a fewscrews, then plugs, then just the clips... where did the chips coem from? if it helps i always put my bike on a removalist sheet, that way i can rest the fairings on the "soft" ground next to me. Or if its winter thay go on the couch whilst the bike is being worked on in the lounge All avoids scratches and chips...
Old 04-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
deebee
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by destrillt View Post
It sucks that I can't get my side fairings off easily, I got them almost 100% off the other day when I installed my no cut frame sliders but one spot was stuck, so I just pulled them out a little to install it, which worked..

I couldn't find the spot it was stuck on (i got the little screw inside that was hooking it to the vent, i did all the poppers, etc etc)

and second of all the vent part and upper fairing I don't think ill ever be able to take off I tried but seems impossible
ok, just get ya machanic to show you how to do it. Then practice infront of him. Its important that you can do it. You need to to change ya coolant, oil filters etc.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #12
rraiderr
!##NULL##!

I bet the next time you do it you will find it gets easier.

The more you do it the easier it becomes.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

the newer bikes are harder to take plastics off then the older bikes, but just take your time and don't muscle anything and you'll be fine. If you have patience like I do then have your gf/wife help you as they tend to use more finess then some guys *cough*me*cough*. Regardless of your mechanical ability if you take your time and go slow you'll be fine, but if you get pissed easy and muscle things then the min you get frustrated step away as plastic tabs are easy to make fly through the air.

Check us out on Facebook too.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:49 AM   #14
Serto
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 600 K8 White/Silver

Quote:
Taking the fairings off only takes a minute once you have done it a couple times.
Serto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:45 AM   #15
08 GSX-R750
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2008 GSX-R750, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14

Ive had a harder time putting them back on, lining up the damn fairings towards the front, there is a very thin channel they clip into and sometimes its hard to get em in aligned.
08 GSX-R750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #16
_KneeDragr
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR-750

Harder than other bikes Ive owned but not too bad.

Easiest was my Duc 996 - could strip that thing in seconds.
_KneeDragr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
tonywilliam
Rookie

Iv'e had mine off a couple of times now and I can have both sides off in about ten minutes, they are really quite easy when you have them on and off a couple of times.
tonywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #18
CWL
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 600 K8

Takes me about 10 minutes to get the sides off. As said above, once you do it a few times they pop off relatively easy
CWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
AFitchguy07
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2008 GSX-R600

Quote:
http://i41.tinypic.com/24ep8c1.jpg

red circles = screws
green circles = tabs stuffed inside frame
yellow circles = removable clips
orange lines = smaller tabs that just snap loose from V connector & wheel well plastics.
AFitchguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #20
gkmayer86
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2k8 Gsxr 600 Blue/White

Hey have some confidence and be careful of the tabs. Its not that difficult just take your time and youll be fine. I did it the day after i got my bike to put on no cut sliders and it took maybe 10 minutes to get it off. Its not that bad
gkmayer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement