bmc filter cleaning question : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
mlissa2007
Wants Robert Pattinson to explore his Twilight Starfish

Motorcycle: 06 kws gsxr 1143 stroker track, 11 gsxr 600 street, 09 drz400sm street/dirt
bmc filter cleaning question

guys i have a 1000 with a bmc race filter. the cleaning instructions says that once the spray is applied and you are ready to rinse it just rinse the filter. it does not say which side to rinse. with the k&n filter it says to rinse the clean side only and let gravity loosen the dirt up tell its clean. it says not to rinse both sides

so again my question is do i have to rinse both sides of the bmc filter or only the clean side

j
mlissa2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
richbarn2
Rookie

Motorcycle: 04 GSX-R1000
Re: bmc filter cleaning question

I think they write it that way to keep it simple. After I let the cleaner soak in I rinse the clean side first to flush the contaminates out of the filter media, I believe that is what they are getting at. (K&N and BMC are both sensitive to high water pressure and high air pressure.) Once it looks clean I rinse it again, both sides. Then hang it on a shop fan to dry for 20-30 minutes. Lightly oil it and shes good to go.

The statement saying not both sides, ???

I have been cleaning and servicing K&N's for decades and have always rinsed both sides after the majority of the cleaner and dirt were flushed from the clean side out...

I have witnessed filters that were "dryed" with a blow gun and shop air that were junk. I have also witnessed owners using way too much oil and it contaminated mass airflow sensors. But have never had a problem with rinsing on both sides...
richbarn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
mlissa2007

Motorcycle: 06 kws gsxr 1143 stroker track, 11 gsxr 600 street, 09 drz400sm street/dirt

thanks barn

j
Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
TwistedMister
Lifetime Premium

dood is right, spray both sides with cleaner, let set for 30 minutes or so, rinse backwards with warm water first, then rinse through the other side, don't hit it with compressed air!

dood is wrong! let it sit over night to dry! 24 hours if you can, very important! then hit the intake side with the sticky spray sparingly or until its all red, let that set for at least an hour!
TwistedMister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Gixxer_6k
Rookie

Motorcycle: K6 1000, 07 Busa (sold), K6 Gsxr 1000 (sold), 07 Vstrom 1000 (sold), 07 Hyosung GV650R (sold), 07 Bajaj Pulsar 180 (sold)

Don't neglect to shake it before washing it. Hitting the dirty side down against something (firmly but gentle enought not to damage) loosens and removes a lot of dirt.

Then wash/rinse as above^^

I oil both sides of the filter to ensure it can pick up all dust particles properly. Then I let it sit on an old towel or paper towels for about a day or until it stops leaving oil on the paper towel.

Switching back to stock filter soon though. Not 100% at ease with these filters anymore.
Gixxer_6k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Allthatflash
Team Yoshimura

Motorcycle: 05 GSXR 1000

Also remember on the race filter clean every 500 miles or so, they will get work better that way and keep stuff from getting in to the motor.
Allthatflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
richbarn2
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMister View Post
dood is wrong! let it sit over night to dry! 24 hours if you can, very important! then hit the intake side with the sticky spray sparingly or until its all red, let that set for at least an hour!
Yeah, I know, we are SUPPOSED to leave it air dry overnight. Through the years I have started hanging them in front of a fan for a bit to dry them. It works just fine for me. When I remove it from the fan its dry... If you have the time, great, if not a fan works fine... A mechanic that is older and wiser than me showed me that one, and I respect his work... To each their own...

BTW, the instructions dont specify which side to spray with oil. I spray the inlet side (away from the the TB's), its moot either way as it wicks into the fabric. The instructions say to let it sit for 20 min's and check for uniform red color. Apply more to the light spots...

Last edited by richbarn2; 03-10-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
mlissa2007

so what interval do you clean yours at richbarn? u do mine around 1200 miles. also, if you wash it too much, will you wear the filter out? i guess what im trying to ask is that does the filter have a certain amount of times you can wash then its no good?

hope that made sense

j
Old 03-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
richbarn2
Rookie

I clean my cars K&N at each oil change, about twice a year.

My bike I check every other month, I ride about 500 miles a week and I used to check it every month. Waste of time, unless its riden in very dirty environments...

Check this out,

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm
Old 03-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
TwistedMister
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbarn2 View Post
Yeah, I know, we are SUPPOSED to leave it air dry overnight. Through the years I have started hanging them in front of a fan for a bit to dry them. It works just fine for me. When I remove it from the fan its dry... If you have the time, great, if not a fan works fine... A mechanic that is older and wiser than me showed me that one, and I respect his work... To each their own...

BTW, the instructions dont specify which side to spray with oil. I spray the inlet side (away from the the TB's), its moot either way as it wicks into the fabric. The instructions say to let it sit for 20 min's and check for uniform red color. Apply more to the light spots...

spray the inlet side, maybe thats what I mean? the side opposite the TBs right?

I've never tried the fan thing, whats important is that its completely dried prior to spraying with the sticky stuff...

sorry if I came off harsh...
TwistedMister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #11
richbarn2
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMister View Post
spray the inlet side, maybe thats what I mean? the side opposite the TBs right?

I've never tried the fan thing, whats important is that its completely dried prior to spraying with the sticky stuff...

sorry if I came off harsh...
No worries,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement