Rear foot pegs with Highmount Exhaust... : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
jneaves
Squid

Motorcycle: 2004 GSXR 1000
Cool Rear foot pegs with Highmount Exhaust...

This may be the easiest fix in the world but I have searched and looked everywhere and can't find anything. Maybe it's right under my nose, hopefully here!

I just bought my newest bike, 2004 GSXR 1000, and it has a Yoshi highmount full exhaust system. Installed, it leaves no room for the passenger foot peg. I looked the exhaust system up and it's "race only".

My ideas are to find aftermarket rear pegs only because the pipe sounds amazing and looks great. If not, is it possible to bend the pipe down maybe about an inch so the factory peg will mount to the high mount bracket? This has just racked my brain. I should have noticed this when I bought the bike but never even thought of this being a problem.

If you need pics of what I'm talking about I will be gladly to take and post some!

Thanks in advance for your help,
Justin N.

jneaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
richbarn2
Rookie

Motorcycle: 04 GSX-R1000
Re: Rear foot pegs with Highmount Exhaust...

Pics would help.

And welcome.
richbarn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneaves View Post
This may be the easiest fix in the world but I have searched and looked everywhere and can't find anything. Maybe it's right under my nose, hopefully here!

I just bought my newest bike, 2004 GSXR 1000, and it has a Yoshi highmount full exhaust system. Installed, it leaves no room for the passenger foot peg. I looked the exhaust system up and it's "race only".

My ideas are to find aftermarket rear pegs only because the pipe sounds amazing and looks great. If not, is it possible to bend the pipe down maybe about an inch so the factory peg will mount to the high mount bracket? This has just racked my brain. I should have noticed this when I bought the bike but never even thought of this being a problem.

If you need pics of what I'm talking about I will be gladly to take and post some!

Thanks in advance for your help,
Justin N.

I've never seen "aftermarket passenger pegs", only aftermarket rearsets for the rider.

You don't need to destroy the pipe by trying to bend it around the pegs, it's very easy to fix this. You can contact Orient Express and they carry rear peg spacers made by Ti-Force that move the right side peg out to fit around the pipe. They are a bit on the pricey side for what they are (a little aluminum dowel) if I recall.

Instead what I did was just go to the hardware store and buy a bunch of washers and longer bolts. I took the bolts, put them through the pegs and then built up behind them with enough washers to space the pegs out, accomplishes the same task for a couple dollars. Fortunately I've only ever taken a passenger on my bike 2 times, so I don't leave it on because it looks kinda retarded, but then again, it is a sportbike, not really ideal for riding 2-up anyway.

CCS AM #478
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
jneaves
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbarn2 View Post
Pics would help.

And welcome.
I'll take pics tonight and have them up tomorrow.. Thanks for the quick response!!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
jneaves
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
I've never seen "aftermarket passenger pegs", only aftermarket rearsets for the rider.

You don't need to destroy the pipe by trying to bend it around the pegs, it's very easy to fix this. You can contact Orient Express and they carry rear peg spacers made by Ti-Force that move the right side peg out to fit around the pipe. They are a bit on the pricey side for what they are (a little aluminum dowel) if I recall.

Instead what I did was just go to the hardware store and buy a bunch of washers and longer bolts. I took the bolts, put them through the pegs and then built up behind them with enough washers to space the pegs out, accomplishes the same task for a couple dollars. Fortunately I've only ever taken a passenger on my bike 2 times, so I don't leave it on because it looks kinda retarded, but then again, it is a sportbike, not really ideal for riding 2-up anyway.

This helps out alot! I havent heard of any aftermarket pegs as well but I didnt know if I was looking hard enough or not.

The extender bolts may work, i'll have to look and see. The only reason I think it may not work is because the factory bracket goes below the pipe where the pipe sits so high up. I'll take some pics tonight or in the morning and post them to show you more accurately what I'm talking about. Again, thanks for the help.

And by the way, I do agree 2 up is 2 much!.. but there's just something good about a sunday ride in the mountains with someone you care about.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
The extender bolts may work, i'll have to look and see. The only reason I think it may not work is because the factory bracket goes below the pipe where the pipe sits so high up. I'll take some pics tonight or in the morning and post them to show you more accurately what I'm talking about. Again, thanks for the help.

You don't have to take pics, I have a Yoshimura high-exit pipe on my bike too, it works just fine. Hang the pipe with the Yosh bracket that it comes with, stick the longer bolts through the pegs, throw on enough washers to space it out and tighten it all up.

See

Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
jneaves
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
You don't have to take pics, I have a Yoshimura high-exit pipe on my bike too, it works just fine. Hang the pipe with the Yosh bracket that it comes with, stick the longer bolts through the pegs, throw on enough washers to space it out and tighten it all up.

See

Ohhhh, okay I see now. I was still thinking the bracket needed to fit with the pipe. I guess i'm a visual type. So is the peg assembly sturdy not being bolted with the pipe? I guess it just looks like it would have some play in it just hanging there, haha.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
Ohhhh, okay I see now. I was still thinking the bracket needed to fit with the pipe. I guess i'm a visual type. So is the peg assembly sturdy not being bolted with the pipe? I guess it just looks like it would have some play in it just hanging there, haha.

The pipe is not a weight bearing mounting point for the peg, the pipe hangs from the peg.

It's no different than any of these

Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
BillV
Club Racer

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Another possibility is to swap the high exit tailpipe for the standard exit pipe. As best I can tell this is the only difference between the two systems. The Yosh instructions list the individual part numbers and they've been very helpful when I've contacted them.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
richbarn2
Rookie

Never got high mount exhaust. Spacers and extra supports with an unused boss for the stock unit hanging in the breeze.?. I thought my standard length RS3 was too much...

I don't get under tail exhaust either. It spoils the great lines of my buddies 06 CRB1000RR. good looking bike til you get to the crappy can that steals all the storage space and doesn't really sound that good...
Old 02-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbarn2 View Post
Never got high mount exhaust. Spacers and extra supports with an unused boss for the stock unit hanging in the breeze.?. I thought my standard length RS3 was too much...

I don't get under tail exhaust either. It spoils the great lines of my buddies 06 CRB1000RR. good looking bike til you get to the crappy can that steals all the storage space and doesn't really sound that good...

There's a difference between hi-mount and hi-exit

This is high-mount, with a mid-pipe that looks like a drainage gutter

This is a hi-exit, angled up slightly for better ground clearance

Undertail exhaust ran theirs course and seem to be fading out now. Came and went on the CBR1000 and ZX-6, I'll bet the next time the CBR600 has a major revision it will get dumped. I have a feeling the R1 will stick with it a little longer.....Somehow it just works on a Duc though

CCS AM #478
Old 02-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #12
richbarn2
Rookie

That exhaust does work on the duc, and I think the r1 is a good looking bike.

The micron on the r6 is just terrible, of course its completely subjective. I personally like the looks of the little gp style cans tucked low, like the m4. I have an rs3 that i shortened and I think it fits the style of the K4 and I cant justify spending money on another exhaust when there are so many other things I want, rearsets, pc3 and a tune, new fairings, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket seat, ect...

Beside that, the shortened rs3 sound terrific and it runs great.

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/n...er4inchcut.jpg
Old 02-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
BillV
Club Racer

Another way to go is to make your own standoffs. These quys offer heavy wall aluminum tubing at what I consider to be giveaway prices. A hack saw and some deft filing should be all that's needed.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
cbr900rr
Back Marker

listen if you dont want the high exit call yoshimura of usa and you could just order the standard mid pipe exit. I have the standard exit full system just order the high mount mid pipe on my 04 and it looks great..
cbr900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
gixxer4915
Squid

How do you install a passenger peg on a 07 gsxr 1000 with a high mount orient express exhaust? Any pics?
gixxer4915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #16
Rockford
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2005 Hayabusa Turbo

so how many washers did you use spl my buddy has a high exit on his 04 1k and he is either doing that or going with the kit from orient express
Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
so how many washers did you use spl my buddy has a high exit on his 04 1k and he is either doing that or going with the kit from orient express

Don't recall, I think something like 30 washers per bolt maybe? Which equated to I think $2 or $3 from the hardware store.

As opposed to I think $60 for the machined aftermarket spacers from one of those motorcycle shops. So since I don't ride passengers very often (total of 3 times since I got the bike in 2005) I don't really care to buy real spacer since these work just fine.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #18
Rider451
Squid

Motorcycle: GSXR 750

i have an 06 gixxer 750 with the high mount carbon exaust and want to know a cheep way on how to mount the rear footpegs? the washer idea is great except my rear pegs mount under the side of the bike not on the side of the frame. so the mounting bolt heads are facing the ground. any ideas?????
Rider451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #19
BillV
Club Racer

You might try asking these guys if they have anything. Maybe you can modify one of their brackets or mount it and the rear pegs together.

Last edited by BillV; 05-14-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #20
mywickedgsxr
Squid

I bought my 04 1000 with a rs3 carbon slip on looks to be standard exit. Id like a high mount. Anyone know where to get a high mount yoshi midpipe?

Or anyone hear a wrp exhaust?

Last edited by mywickedgsxr; 05-16-2009 at 10:02 AM.
mywickedgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement