Gsxr 600 electrical problem? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
tuffluck
Squid

Gsxr 600 electrical problem?

I have a 2000 gsxr 600 not able to ride for awile and battery went dead now the bike doesnt seem to want to run. I put battery on charge. The question I have is could I have messed up the stator/battery any advice. I did use a multi meter to check and see if there was ouput from stator and that seems to be good but battery will not hold charge anymore. ANYTHING HELPS
tuffluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
speedfreak1000
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 1000
Re: Gsxr 600 electrical problem?

get a new battery.
speedfreak1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
freedomnight
Squid

just as stated start with a new battery then when runnin test for voltage. if battery still dies you may have a regulatoe problem, witch means the bike is charging when running but decharding when the bike is off. if that the case then take it to the shopt to have the regulator checked..i had that problem on an older bike i had...
freedomnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
GixxerBarry
Electronics Technician

Location: Riding around So Cal, from the canyons to the track
Motorcycle: K7 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomnight View Post
just as stated start with a new battery then when runnin test for voltage. if battery still dies you may have a regulatoe problem, witch means the bike is charging when running but decharding when the bike is off. if that the case then take it to the shopt to have the regulator checked..i had that problem on an older bike i had...
Put a new battery in. Start the bike. Put the negative lead of the multimeter on the negative post. Put the positive lead on the positive post. Set the Multimeter to DC Voltage. You should read 14 v at idle when the bike is running and like 15 at 5k RPM. If your battery stays at 12vdc then your regulator is bad. It has two cables and two screws and can be removed without removing the fairing. Do not take it to the shop unless it is under warranty. The part costs 130 bucks brand new. Do it yourself. Also you should read 65 VAC on all three phases of the stator at 5k RPM. If it is lower it will cause the rectifier to burn up much quicker then usual do to more current draw and it running much hotter than normal. Chances are both your stator and rectifier need to be replaced if one of them is running shitty. All of our bikes have the same problems. After 30k miles or 2 years the stator produces less voltage causing the rectifier to burn up prematurely. Should be a factory recall but it won't be b/c they wouldnt make money then. Hope this helps.

" True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing." -Socrates
GixxerBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
biker dave
Squid

If you fully charge the battery and it still wont crank over then the battery will be gone. You could take the battery with you and get it tested properly with a discharge tester and get a new battery at the same time if its gone. Make sure when you put the new battery in you leave the negative wire disconnected and get an ammeter, place it on the earth of the battery and on the negative wire which is disconnected. Wait a couple of minutes and the output should be around 0.10amps if its above that something is draining the battery and prematurely killing it.
biker dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
GixxerBarry
Electronics Technician

Location: Riding around So Cal, from the canyons to the track
Motorcycle: K7 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker dave View Post
If you fully charge the battery and it still wont crank over then the battery will be gone. You could take the battery with you and get it tested properly with a discharge tester and get a new battery at the same time if its gone. Make sure when you put the new battery in you leave the negative wire disconnected and get an ammeter, place it on the earth of the battery and on the negative wire which is disconnected. Wait a couple of minutes and the output should be around 0.10amps if its above that something is draining the battery and prematurely killing it.
Also great tip. Always check for current leakage with your battery. If is above .1 amps your wiring is fubar.
GixxerBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
tuffluck
Squid

I would like to extend a Thank you to all that replied. I will when I have time do the recommended tests and respond. Thanks Again
tuffluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement