1998 gsxr 750 srad , problems...... : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > SRADs (97-00 600 and 96-99 750)

Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
kisielkamil
Squid

Motorcycle: 1998 Suzuki gsxr 750 SRAD
1998 gsxr 750 srad , problems......

Hey all,
First off before i start typing away i want you guys to know that i know little knowlegde about motorcycles, or at least general information...I purchased a 1998 suzuki gsxr 750 srad wit 30k miles mid july 08, it was running good, no problems at all...About a month into riding it i noticed the bike was getting really hot fast, the temp gauge read over 250 and once the bike got even hotter it would be hard starting the bike again. At red lights the bike would just turn off on me,i would have to keep giving it gas so it would stall on me, and when i would start it i would have to give it sum throttle or it would idle to low and turn off on me..me and a buddy went riding and stopped at aq dealer and he mentioned somthing about the radiator. I want to also mention that the fan was switched from being on all the time to having a on and off switch for the fan..

Being busy with work and school i had little time to ride, when i tried starting it a month ago, the engine would turn but not start. Having little time to look into it i tried starting it again n it would sound like the engine is turning very slow and it would just stop and nothing would happen....i was wondering if anyone has some input on my problem before i spend a ton of money at a suzuki dealer.......
Thnx every1 for takin the time to read this and hope to hear sumthing soon....
kisielkamil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
mlongo99
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 97 GSX-R750 2008 R6
Re: 1998 gsxr 750 srad , problems......

First, it sounds like the battery is just too weak. Not surprising since it's just been sitting. Mine tends to take a few tries to fire up when it's been sitting a while, and that draws a lot from the battery. So put it on a trickle charger and see if it'll fire when it's cranking properly. A battery tender would be a good investment if you don't ride a lot. I got one at Sears for $30 and hid the pigtail in the seat so it's easy to hook up.

As for temperatures, 250 is overheating, and the warning light on the tach will start flashing. You should never see anything higher than mid 220s. If you ever see it that high again, shut off the engine right away. When the bike is very hot (225+) it will run rough and potentially stall. The problem is that it's just too hot. Are you seeing these temps while riding, or just when stopping at lights? When stopped, or at very low speeds, the temp will shoot up because it needs the fan to come on and provide some airflow through the radiator. Are you switching the fan on? Normally it should click on when it hits ~220, but if it's fully manual now, you need to make sure you're turning it on when you need it.

mlongo99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
red750r
Novice

Motorcycle: 1998 gsxr 750 sold. '08 gsx-r 1000

i had a 1998 750 last year, i bought it and had it for 8 months. i spent about 2500 on it before i gave up. I had the same problems but it seems that the best idea is to buy a newer one.

Mine over heated because the fan wouldnt kick in. then when i fixed the fan, it drained the battery. after the shop fixed that problem my bike wouldnt turn on if i turned it off and on again, i would have to wait about a half in hour. but good luck!
red750r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
kisielkamil
Squid

well i bought a new battery when i bought the bike but that was a while ago.... and it was really hot when i was riding but it would start to cool slowly as i hit higher speeds. It would get really hot at stops or red lights. I would try to turn the fan on sumtimes but it would drain the battery really fast, i think the wiring to the fan job was done poorly. The guy from the Suzuki dealer said something bout the radiator..idk if that could be the problem also.. O ya yeah i forgot to mention, i took of the left plastics off one time and noticed that i was really low on coolant and didnt have the factory cap on, it had sum cap that wasnt the cap that used to be on. i filled it up but the problem still happened.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
mlongo99
Club Racer

Doesn't matter if the battery is new or not. It will lose it's charge if it just sits, and cranking the motor just drains it more. If the bike doesn't get ridden, it's not getting recharged. Your battery is probably fine since it's pretty new, just needs charging.

If you're stopped and the fan never comes on, then it will just keep getting hotter and overheat. The radiator needs airflow in order to cool the water. When stopped, or at low speed, it depends on the fan to provide that.

How do you know that running the fan is draining the battery? When the engine is running, the stator is charging the battery. So even if the battery was completely dead, you could push-start the bike and ride off just fine. If something was pulling excess load, you wouldn't know it. You obviously need the fan, so if something is preventing you from using it, then that's your real problem.

If the bike can maintain 170 degrees while cruising on the freeway then the radiator is probably fine. (Hot days it may run 175-180, up to 190 if it's 115 out) But it's a good idea to flush out the cooling system and get fresh coolant/water in there if you've never done so. A radiator is pretty simple, so not much can go wrong. It just has to be able to hold pressure, flow water, and allow air to flow across the cooling fins.

Coolant was low under the left side plastics? That would be the reservoir. I would expect that to be empty if you overheated it, as lots of coolant would have been pushed into there and overflowed. Then some gets sucked back into the radiator as it cools. But for all you know, it may have never been filled. It doesn't matter what cap is on the reservoir. It's not pressurized it just needs to keep the extra water from spilling out. Take off the right side bodywork to access the radiator cap. See if the radiator is full. If it's low, the air compresses as the water gets hot, preventing the system from pressurizing. That allows the coolant to boil and leads to overheating. Another possibility is the radiator cap isn't holding pressure, which would then spit out coolant into the reservoir when it shouldn't. Or you could have a malfunctioning thermostat that is limiting flow through the engine.

So first I would say, make sure the fan can run anytime temps hit 220, and if the system is working properly, it will prevent the temp from climbing farther. If it still gets hotter, verify that the radiator and reservoir are topped off. If that doesn't fix it, I would flush the system. (I would do this anyway for maintenance sake) That will get out any loose debris that may be in there, and give you a fresh coolant/water mix. While you do that, you may want to replace the thermostat. It's cheap, and will eliminate that as the problem. You also may want to test or replace the radiator cap, to make sure the system is holding adequate pressure.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Justinlhc
Rookie

Hopefully you didn't blow a head gasket while overheating. I would say replacing the radiator will fix your problem.

About a week ago I was stopped in a parking lot at idle and figured I would see if my fan worked. I waited until it hit 220(took a while) and the fan kicked on. It held the temp right at 220 which made me happy. I took it for a ride and it cooled down to normal temp(170ish) pretty quick, I would say less than a minute of taking off and hitting 45mph. It was probably about 70* outside at the time. Your bike should have the same results.
Full Hindle exhaust
APE cam chain tensioner
Factory Pro Ignition advancer-Took out because bike ran like shit with it.
Justinlhc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
numbskull
Squid

Somebody had put a manual fan switch on mine too. I didn't like it because they took the automatic cut on at 220 switch out of the loop. So I rewired it so the fan kicked on at 220, but I could also manually turn it on.

mlongo has all the bases pretty well covered. reread his post.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
kisielkamil
Squid

Thnx alot guys i apriciate the input, i am defentily going to look into that mlongo...i know this is gonna sound stupid but how could i find out if the head gasket is blown and if it is can i repair it without buying a new one or spending tons of money at a dealer?
And if you guys have more input please post or leave me a message...
Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
mlongo99
Club Racer

Generally, a blown head gasket will allow coolant and oil to mix. So a quick check is to visually look at the fluids. The proper test is to do a compression or leakdown test. You'll need some special tools to do those though.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
kd5yov
Back Marker

Motorcycle: Was a - 97/98 GSXR 750 FI Frankinstine - Sold it!!

Does the oil look like chaco-milk??

Do a coolant check like you would do on a car and see if its up to spec, could be your using the wrong coolant.

Car coolant is for cars, not sport bikes..

Look to see if there is anything cutting off the air flow, plastic bag, paper, leaves, make sure the vents are not smashed.

Does the fan come on between 118 and 121 temperature?

When was the last time you did a flush?

Do a flush, and put some vinegar in the new water, flush the system while warm. Drain and use what ever you want for the fluid as long as it isn't car radiator fluid or strait water, there is an additive to add to water to help with aluminum engines..

Have you done a check on the thermostat? Is it opening and closing properly? Have you checked to see if the Temp sensor is turning the fan on at the proper specs? Is the water pump working properly? How is the level of radiator??

Humm, anything else?

I sold my bike... Not riding any bikes right now..
kd5yov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
mlongo99
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5yov View Post
Car coolant is for cars, not sport bikes..
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. It's all the same stuff, as long as you're not buying GM's Dexcool. In a bike it serves the same purpose and experiences the same conditions as in a car.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:49 AM   #12
kisielkamil
Squid

ok, i bought a nre battery and the bike started, after a little it started. Shit load of smoke throught the exhuast and made a weird smell, then a lil smoke from wut seemed like the engine so i turned it off.....next im going to try and flush the system and put new fluids in it....
Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
The Ripper
Addicted to Track

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 1000, 99 SRAD 6/1000 Swap, 1998 GSXR 750 (track),1985 Z50 pit bike, 2005 RMZ 250 (Dirt)

Correct me if I am wrong...

White smoke out the exhaust is coolant in the oil burning
Blue smoke out the exhaust is an oil burning (rings gone)

What colour is your smoke?
The Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
kd5yov
Back Marker

Motorcycle: Was a - 97/98 GSXR 750 FI Frankinstine - Sold it!!

What did the smoke smell like? Look like??

Wal-Mart sell's motorcycle batteries and I bought a MAXX-Battery with a 3 year warranty for $49.99!! There is more Wal-Marts then there is Suzuki Shops!! And for that price, I will buy one every 12 months if I have to!

Did you check the radiator to see if there was oil in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisielkamil View Post
ok, i bought a nre battery and the bike started, after a little it started. Shit load of smoke throught the exhuast and made a weird smell, then a lil smoke from wut seemed like the engine so i turned it off.....next im going to try and flush the system and put new fluids in it....
kd5yov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
GSXR-Freak
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 99 GSXR 750

blue/white smoke points to Oil burn off
Black smoke is running rich (fuel mixture is off)

We really need to know more about the smoke. Did it smell sweet? Was it more like steam? Was it white with a blue tint?

John
GSXR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #16
kisielkamil
Squid

the smoke was white i didnt notice any blue tint...and the smell i guess was kinda sweet more like coffee i guess..... i turned off the bike when it started to smoke well it was more like steam comin from wut looked like underneathe the tank.....
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
GSXR-Freak
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 99 GSXR 750

If it looked like steem (goes away really fast), that is a pointer to a coolant leak.
Being that it was from under the tank (I assume none from the tail pipe), I would look for a gasket leak from the thermostat housing. It is on the right side of the block, you will see where the hose from the radiator enters the frame on the right side, just inside the frame that hose connects to the housing.

Check there for signs of a leak first.

John
GSXR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #18
SRAD DJ
Rookie

Motorcycle: 'SRAD' 1000

mlongo99 has pretty much covered the checks need doing

how long was engine running for till you could smell the `sweet` smell?

im thinking it COULD be old coolant over the engine from when it might of overflowed.....coolant can smeel sweet ish when burnt on hot engine

if i was you, id take both fairings off & then start it & look around while its idling & building up a hotter temp

also the coolant system could need bleeding, if its not full enough, it'll have air blocks & this means it wont cool efficently....fill it up via radiator cap on right of the rad(under right fariing) & watch it, cause chances are, it'll go down a few times where its going round the system.........then once its deffo not going down anymore, put cap on, & fill other coolant bottle on other side inbetween the max & min lines, then shake bike side to side to release any trapped air bubbles in the system..........then open rad cap again.......but this might only release a tiny bit of air, now replace lid & start bike & let it idle till its near `fan on` temps, then if your careful(i do it anyway) undo rad cap again & there will be alot of pressured air that hisses out, but now you've got rid of that excess air, the coolant level will now have dropped, so top up again.......basically do all this till theres no air left hissing out but the coolant level is still at same(ish) level when you take rad cap off & look
K4 1000 engine, K2 body, K5 forks, R1 calipers & M/C Carbon R1 Tail, koso clocks, Full yoshi, Ignition advancer, pipercross filter, pair mod, crankcase filter, Gear indicator/ATRE, PC, QAT, reversed gearing, downgeared (-1/+2), `braking` wavey front & rear discs, 8000K HID lights, + too many other mods!
(SRAD k2/k4/k5/k7 1000)
SRAD DJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
gsx-sparks
Squid

well i might be able to solve your problem... if it has been setting around you might want to have the carbs cleaned and sync also,, when setting it tends to build up a lot of issues in that area... i had a lot of the same problems but what you can do on your own would be, flush the oil and radiator and it would be good to replace the gas or clean the tank and while you have the tank off you can check out the fuel pump... if you have the time to do all this great because if you take it in you will pay out the butt... again start at the carbs, have them cleaned. if they are out of sync and running bad you will notice some engine noise,, like rattle at certain times in the rpms.. good luck
gsx-sparks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
jdjones
Squid

i have a similiar issue it keeps shutting off at stop lights and such and im watching the temperature but the temp only is 190 or less and it still shuts off any ideas if its a cooling issue or a carburator problem
jdjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in