Ran my bike low on oil did I hurt it. : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 12-02-2008, 02:07 AM   #1
Silver GSX-R1000
Novice

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 1000
Ran my bike low on oil did I hurt it.

I did my first oil change the other day, on my 2003 gsxr-1000, I am the third owner, it has 12,500mi on it. Before i drained the oil I looked through the peep window to see how much oil I had in there, the oil barely came to the L on the window. I was like shit. So I beggan to drain the oil and I know less than 3 quarts came out of her, maybe 2.5q. Oil was dark like used oil should be, no shiny metal film in the oil or metal, no water in the oil either. I put a new K&N oil filter on it and 3.5 or so quarts of 10w-40 i believe of a synthetic blend oil. My question is did running low on oil before my oil change hurt it. I am very easy on this bike it hasnt seen redline yet, I have just cruised on it.
Oh I am leaking antifreeze to where the hose goes in the back side of the motor, do I have a o-ring leaking? I might just be freeking out and looking way to much in to all of this.

2005 f150 FX4,supercrew 5.4, leather, sunroof.
Silver GSX-R1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
rogerlee
Rookie

Re: Ran my bike low on oil did I hurt it.

Yeah your freaking out a little I kinda doubt you hurt it unless you have been doing looong wheelies . If the antifreeze is coming from the flange, then its the oring. If its coming from the hose, then its the clamp? I find loose clamps on bikes all the time.

Last edited by rogerlee; 12-02-2008 at 03:19 AM.
rogerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #3
Silver GSX-R1000
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlee View Post
Yeah your freaking out a little I kinda doubt you hurt it unless you have been doing looong wheelies . If the antifreeze is coming from the flange, then its the oring. If its coming from the hose, then its the clamp? I find loose clamps on bikes all the time.
LoL, I have never pop a wheelie on this bike, I went from a yamaha r6 to this beast of a gsxr1000, so i am still getting use to the power, so I havent been riding my gixxer hard. The antifreeze leak I have may be comming from the clamp on the hose, I took it off and took the hose off and looked for a crak but i couldnt find any. it could be the o-ring as well, I wipped all off it down well to see if a new leak appears. As of now I have no new drops on the floor. I quess I am just worrying a tad too much. I dont want to hurt my motor on this bike. Either way its a easy fix once I discover exactly where it is leaking at. its been cold out so I havent rode it, so I might not find out till spring.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Mr Fast
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K8 1K

If your oil came to the L (or even close to it), then you have nothing to worry about, it was still in the normal operating range. Anywhere between the L and H is fine.
Mr Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
aznlverboy
Squid

i dont mean to thread jack, but i also just did my oil change, got 3 quarts out of it, but when i filled up 4 quarts, i am still no where near the L on the oil indicator peep hole...? any suggestions? should i just keep filling up til it gets between the L and H? any help is appreciated.
aznlverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
Mr Fast
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K8 1K

No, you should put the drain plug in.
Mr Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
BPunk360
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlverboy View Post
i dont mean to thread jack, but i also just did my oil change, got 3 quarts out of it, but when i filled up 4 quarts, i am still no where near the L on the oil indicator peep hole...? any suggestions? should i just keep filling up til it gets between the L and H? any help is appreciated.

are you lifting it off of the kickstand when you check the oil level?
BPunk360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
slodsm
Swears off Women, for hot man loving

Motorcycle: I can has a steddy job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fast View Post
No, you should put the drain plug in.

I just gagged a little I laughed so hard at the simple honesty of that post ROFL.

Bike shouldn't be on the side stand to check the oil. Straight up and down.

To the OP, I will just repeat what everyone else said to reinforce your security lol. It's fine.
slodsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
CraZee GSXR 1k
Rookie

Motorcycle: K7 gsxr 1000

yea only way to read the oil is hold the bike upstraight and the read.. Almost impossible to do ALONE but I have done it...LOL
CraZee GSXR 1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Novadesigns
I make movies!

Motorcycle: 2004 SV650R--SOLD!, 2008 GSX-R1000

You should also run the bike for a couple of minutes before you check the level... gives a little more accurate reading in that window.
Novadesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:38 AM   #11
Silver GSX-R1000
Novice

Before I did my oil change I stood the bike up off the kick stand, and the oil barely came to the L on the peep hole, I mean barely made it to the L. I think my bike will be ok, because i never hit redline or close to it, and I dont ride the bike hard at all just cruise with it, no racing has been done on it since I have had it. it seems to run fine. Oh another question, my r6 ran quite at start up idle, my gsxr1000 when I start makes noise then it goes away as it warms up, it has done this since I have had the bike, my friend told me 1000cc motors are noisy comapaired to 600cc motors, he said hes bike does it too, he has a 05 gsxr 1000. I am just freaking out I think. my bike runs good no smoke in the exhaust so I quess i am good.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:51 AM   #12
vic_doom69
Back Marker

Motorcycle: k3 600/k6 1000

your noise on startup with the engine cold may be the cct. mine made that noise and it would go away at 120ish degrees
vic_doom69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:29 AM   #13
rogerlee
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraZee GSXR 1k View Post
yea only way to read the oil is hold the bike upstraight and the read.. Almost impossible to do ALONE but I have done it...LOL
I get on my knees on the right side of the bike. Grab the front brake and bar, squeezing the brake. This will insure the bike doesn't roll off the side stand. Pull the bike to level. I have a flashlight that stands on it own so I can use both hands to steady the bike. I guess I may be talented cause I can gently stand back up and check the side stand while returning the bike to it. Don't let go of the front brake till its all over!!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #14
Silver GSX-R1000
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_doom69 View Post
your noise on startup with the engine cold may be the cct. mine made that noise and it would go away at 120ish degrees

Whats the CCT?? I read some other bike forums and other people have said 1000cc motors do make more noise than the lesser cc motors, something about the chain tensioner?? Idk. my bike is probably fine, I did this with my cobra, for some reason i want to believe there is something wrong, when there isnt a problem at all just my imagination. Every time I was in the boost with my cobra, If I heard a pop or any noise I thoughts a blew it up or tore something up.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:46 AM   #15
rogerlee
Rookie

CCT= cam chain tensioner. And yep, 1000s are noisy on start up. BTW, I did an oil pressure check on my 1000 when it was new. It made 10lbs at idle and 30 lbs at 3000 rpm. VERY HOT OIL! Now as the bike accumulates miles I can take more pressure checks. This is a good way to check on the condition of the internal parts of the motor.

Last edited by rogerlee; 12-03-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:01 AM   #16
GSXR1000K3BW
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000K3

You worry about nothing! Even if you were 1 quart of oil below the L mark you would be fine.
GSXR1000K3BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement