GSX-R1000 Performance Questions Here! : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 11-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
BallisticParts
Official Sponsor

Motorcycle: Lots of stuff...
GSX-R1000 Performance Questions Here!

Here is the place to ask all of your GSX-R1000 performance questions. This is the third part of this thread, they keep getting killed with data base problems. The last one was over 2000 posts and had some really good info in it. Lets try to reproduce it again.

I want to set some ground rules this time.

1.) I am doing this as a service to Gixxer.com members. I choose to do this. If I don't answer your questions or I don't give you the answer you want hear then tough. I don't owe you anything. Getting mad will not help your situation.

2.) I can't fix your broke ass bike over the internet. If your bike is broke then take it to a dealer or a qualified shop. This is a performance based thread.

3.) Slip-ons make noise and full systems make power. Period.

4.) I will always recommend that you get your bike tuned and mapped properly by a professional with a dyno. All bikes are different and internet maps suck! Even brand new with a stock pipe the map can be made better. I will give you the same answer every time. Get you bike tuned!!!!!!!

5.) The first thing you should do to your bike to make it faster is put on a quality full system, a fuel control system, air filter and the get your bike tuned.

This is universal.

6.) I want this thread to be informative not a giant sale thread. If you wish to do business with us, please send me an e-mail, PM or give us a call. Thank You!

7.) Use the search function and TRY not ask the same questions over and over again. TRE, Pair Valve Mod, etc....

8.) Last but not least. I am extremely busy and typically answer these things in blocks. During the race season I can be away from the boards for weeks at a time. Post questions and I will get to them when I can.

Thanks! I really want this to be a cool resource for all GSX-R owners.

www.ballisticparts.com

Like Us On Facebook[/URL]
BallisticParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
BallisticParts
Official Sponsor

Re: GSX-R1000 Performance Questions Here!

First set of questions from "THEMANRACING"

Quote:
also has hot boring made it's way to the motorcycle industry? It's getting more and more common in high performance auto engines.
Millennium Technologies is widely recognized as the best in the world and they don't see a benifit for normal applications. If you preheat the block to bore it then you have to pre-heat it everytime you use it. Just like F1.

Quote:
Do motorcycles ever get bored with a plate to similate the head being bolted on?
No. It would add a bunch to the cost and the typical differences between cold and hot and torqued are .00001"

Quote:
Do you use high volume oil pumps on your motors?
No.

Quote:
How many times does a valve bounce before it's seated?
None.

Quote:
When you do big valves are they Ti? If not do you have to lower the rev limit?
We use Ti and Stainless for big valves. It all depends on the application as to whether you lower the Rev limit. In most cases no.

Quote:
Ever use ceramic bearings in the tranny? make a difference?
Absolutly! Yes it makes a difference.

www.worldwidebearing.com

Quote:
can you cut the exhaust valve guide flush with the port like an intake guide on a street motor or is it to short to be reliable?
Yes, you can cut he exhaust valve guide. No issues.

Quote:
ever round the tops of the teeth on tranny gears off? Make a difference?
No....and doubt it.

Quote:
What do you use to set valve spring height? Tools for auto are readily avabile but I have not found a spring height checker for motorcycles.
Yes. We made ours.

Quote:
how much power does a CF wheel add to a g1K on the dyno?
None. It just doesn't waste power. Very small difference on the dyno, big difference on the track.

Quote:
ever try pressurizing the fuel tank? How much is it worth?
No.

www.ballisticparts.com

Old 11-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
BallisticParts
Official Sponsor

Part II from "THEMANRACING"

Quote:
What ring gap do you use on your motors?
.005" per inch of bore.

Quote:
Ever try gapless rings?
Yes, not impressed.

Quote:
Ever delete the second compression ring in the name of friction reduction?
Yes. We use two ring pistons all the time.

Quote:
What piston coatings do you use?
Teflon

Quote:
Whats the most Hp you have seen out of a stock bore G1K motor?
On our Dynojet 250i at the rear wheel

205hp or so. AMA Superbike.

Quote:
Whats the most you have seen out of a 1070 kit?
218hp or so. WERA F1.

Quote:
What L/C do you usually run on a stock bore G1K motor? on a 1070 motor?
Very loaded question, but as a generalization...lower is better.

Quote:
Ever use cramic wheel bearings? worth the money?
Yes and yes. Friction is bad.....less friction is good.

Quote:
What clearance on the mains and rods do you use?
Again....loaded question, but a generalization would be:

.0015" Mains
.002" Rods

Your results may vary.

Quote:
Ever wipe the top layer off the bearing for oil clearance?
No.

Quote:
What A/F do you shoot for on N/A engines?
12.8:1 - 13.2:1 Depends on the engine and what it is being used for.

Quote:
How much HP and torque do bigger valves add on a G1K motor with a big bore?
Loaded question again. 2hp - 30hp.

Quote:
What valve clearance is best for HP?
Standard.

Quote:
What oil and sparkplugs do you guys recommend for high performance g1K engines?
Oil - Synthetic and fresh.

Sparkplugs - NGK and new.

Quote:
How tight can you run the squish on a stoc rodded 07-08 G1k engine?
F#cking tight. How long do you want it to last.

I have seen as tight as .018". It didn't last very long.

Quote:
Ever experimented with a crankcase vacume system on these engines/ what did you find?
Yes. They work great! The question is do they work well enough to offset the weight?

www.ballisticparts.com

Old 11-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
THEMANRACING
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 00 R1, 08 G1K

Chip you rock!! thank you.
THEMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Dukman83
Squid

Motorcycle: GSXR-1000 K8

Hi guys, I"m new to this forum, so and am trying to get my head around the whole idea. At the risk of having posted this in the wrong place, I apologise, but I have a performance question, and this seems like the right place to post it. I have a K8 GSXR-100, with an R-77 Full Yoshi system(Titanium/Carbon), K&N filter, Dynojet power commander USB III, and have recently had it Dyno tuned to pull 166.50Hp(+8Hp) at the wheel, with 79.32Nm TQ(+5Nm). The bike is my baby and I love her, and am always looking at addind something more to her. So after all this, here is my reason for posting this.. I have just ordered a Timing Retard Eliminator, X-TRE to be exact. I've have heard that they are a very vicious thing, and that people who have put them on their bikes have not long after removed them because they are far too brutal with power at the low end, so I wanted to hear it from GSXR experts, whether this really is the case.
Think that's pretty much all I have to ask atm.. Hope it makes sense and isn't too blabbery.. Cheers guys.
Dukman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
THEMANRACING
!##NULL##!

Ok i have an honest question for you.

this I don't quite understand.

If a tighter quench is "better" for power , and you can safely get away with .27 -.030 , why do the factory bikes have such room for improvement?

it seems like it would be hugely simple at the oem end to just make it tighter to start with?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
BallisticParts
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukman83 View Post
Hi guys, I"m new to this forum, so and am trying to get my head around the whole idea. At the risk of having posted this in the wrong place, I apologise, but I have a performance question, and this seems like the right place to post it. I have a K8 GSXR-100, with an R-77 Full Yoshi system(Titanium/Carbon), K&N filter, Dynojet power commander USB III, and have recently had it Dyno tuned to pull 166.50Hp(+8Hp) at the wheel, with 79.32Nm TQ(+5Nm). The bike is my baby and I love her, and am always looking at addind something more to her. So after all this, here is my reason for posting this.. I have just ordered a Timing Retard Eliminator, X-TRE to be exact. I've have heard that they are a very vicious thing, and that people who have put them on their bikes have not long after removed them because they are far too brutal with power at the low end, so I wanted to hear it from GSXR experts, whether this really is the case.
Think that's pretty much all I have to ask atm.. Hope it makes sense and isn't too blabbery.. Cheers guys.
Alright kids. This is the last time I am answering the TRE question.

All it does is remove the speed limiter. Yes it will effect the timing in 1st - 4th gear but it is virtually undetectable...if somebody says it does, its a placebo effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMANRACING View Post
Ok i have an honest question for you.

this I don't quite understand.

If a tighter quench is "better" for power , and you can safely get away with .27 -.030 , why do the factory bikes have such room for improvement?

it seems like it would be hugely simple at the oem end to just make it tighter to start with?
Production bike have to be able to run a on shitty fuel.

Production bikes are supposed to last longer than 300 miles.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
THEMANRACING
!##NULL##!

i thought tightening the quench helped to eleminate the possibility of detonation? I am not getting it I don't think.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:45 AM   #9
totti_79
Squid

Motorcycle: gsxr 1000 k8 blue/white

Hi Chip, im living in the UAE and there is no dynos near. can you help me with a dynojet ignittion module map for a gsxr1000 k7-k8 yosh full & filter. and another for my buddy, same but with webcams ? or you recommend to just get an X-Tre save a bit and live with what it gives ?
totti_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:02 AM   #10
crzydv13
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K3 1000

Thanks for restarting this thread Chip!!!! You rock!!!
crzydv13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
BallisticParts
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMANRACING View Post
i thought tightening the quench helped to eleminate the possibility of detonation? I am not getting it I don't think.
Nope and definately not with a fixed combustion chamber shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti_79 View Post
Hi Chip, im living in the UAE and there is no dynos near. can you help me with a dynojet ignittion module map for a gsxr1000 k7-k8 yosh full & filter. and another for my buddy, same but with webcams ? or you recommend to just get an X-Tre save a bit and live with what it gives ?
Read the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzydv13 View Post
Thanks for restarting this thread Chip!!!! You rock!!!
Your welcome. I hope this one turns out better than the last one!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #12
abomb8076
Squid

im looking for some nasty cams that sound sick...for a 07 gsxr 1k ....i got full yoshi power comm n a bmc filter planning for v stacks any opinions feel free any help pls
abomb8076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #13
BallisticParts
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomb8076 View Post
im looking for some nasty cams that sound sick...for a 07 gsxr 1k ....i got full yoshi power comm n a bmc filter planning for v stacks any opinions feel free any help pls
uhhhh..I don't understand.

You don't want cams that work well?

Cams don't really sound like anything....unless you bang them on something.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
Game
!##NULL##!

What full pipe exhaust would you recommend? Any brand, i will have it well mapped. For gsxr 1k 08...
I have all the basics, PC, air filter and waiting to see what exhaust to get, also are velocity stacks worth getting?

Just of the top of your head what else could i add on my bike for a few horse power?

Everything tuned by a pro...

thanks
Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #15
1000gixxer15
Squid

Hey Chip. Any word on what kind of motor kit will be available for the 09 since the stroke is shorter? 1040 instead of 1070?
1000gixxer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:34 AM   #16
BallisticParts
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
What full pipe exhaust would you recommend? Any brand, i will have it well mapped. For gsxr 1k 08...
I have all the basics, PC, air filter and waiting to see what exhaust to get, also are velocity stacks worth getting?

Just of the top of your head what else could i add on my bike for a few horse power?

Everything tuned by a pro...

thanks
I really like the LeoVince stuff. The single sided factory system has produced the most gains on our dyno.

www.leovinceusa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000gixxer15 View Post
Hey Chip. Any word on what kind of motor kit will be available for the 09 since the stroke is shorter? 1040 instead of 1070?

No idea at this point.

I have seen the bike, we have had the chance to take the bodywork off and poke around, but I have not had the motor apart yet and won't a few months.

It all depends on what kind of room is available and which bore and storke combo's are going to work best.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

chip not sure if you want to say in this thread or what not, but curious what afr you guys run on the track bikes? If you don't want to answer no biggy, but was just curious.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
ishvara
Back Marker

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000K5, KTM 990 Adventure, DRZ400S K8

Hi Chip!

Very glad this thread is now reborn from ashes and I'm sure this incarnation will be even more interesting and useful then the previous one!

If my memory don't lie to me some time ago you mentioned you had a chance to play with Bazzaz boxes. I also got the full kit and am very happy with it. But I have a question about using the self-mapping feature.

Every time I get a map generated by Z-AFM module some of the cells are always empty. I understand why this is happenning but am not totally sure what to do with those cells: should I leave them empty or should I put some kind of default/average valure into all those cells?

Again, thanks alot for sharing all your expertise!
Old 11-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #19
BallisticParts
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMummy View Post
chip not sure if you want to say in this thread or what not, but curious what afr you guys run on the track bikes? If you don't want to answer no biggy, but was just curious.
Depends on what works best....

12.8:1 - 13.2:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishvara View Post
Hi Chip!

Very glad this thread is now reborn from ashes and I'm sure this incarnation will be even more interesting and useful then the previous one!

If my memory don't lie to me some time ago you mentioned you had a chance to play with Bazzaz boxes. I also got the full kit and am very happy with it. But I have a question about using the self-mapping feature.

Every time I get a map generated by Z-AFM module some of the cells are always empty. I understand why this is happenning but am not totally sure what to do with those cells: should I leave them empty or should I put some kind of default/average valure into all those cells?

Again, thanks alot for sharing all your expertise!
We have seen the same thing. This why it is very important to check the AFR map before you apply it. If you end up with an outlire (high unsually high or low number) simply plug in the logical number based on the cells around it.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #20
Immigrant
Cu de Cachorro

Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha R1 & 2009 Trek 4300 Disc

California Speedway 08
CA Speedway 4-26-08 Race Weekend 136.jpg

hope to see you guys in 2009
Immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement