Easiest way to drain gas tank : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > Water Cooled Gixxers

Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
xetremex
Novice

Easiest way to drain gas tank

As the title states, what is the easiest way to drain an 1100w gas tank while removed from the bike. It has about 3/4 of a tank.
xetremex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Bobbychet
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: Sold my Soul
Re: Easiest way to drain gas tank

well you can set it to prime and see if fuel flows.
If not, you can apply a little vacuum to the vacuum line
using a vac pump or syringe.
putting in the Pingel already?
Bobbychet
Bobbychet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
xetremex
Novice

I will be installing the pingel I got off ebay, but won't have it until late this week or early next week. Being sent directly to pingel for a rebuild and filter screen.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
Bobbychet
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xetremex View Post
I will be installing the pingel I got off ebay, but won't have it until late this week or early next week. Being sent directly to pingel for a rebuild and filter screen.
cool
that's a great deal for a rebuild and a screen.
pingels have a 2 yr warranty by the way.
bobbychet
Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
WaveWaker
Back Marker

siphon it.
WaveWaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 02:22 AM   #6
peter1100
Novice

Motorcycle: 94 gsxr1100 82 rm250z

tip it upside down
peter1100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 03:30 AM   #7
nturtenwald
Rookie

Motorcycle: 1994 49-State GSX-R 750 (SOLD), 2003 GSX-R 1000 (Daily), 2004 GSX-R 1000 (Stunt, Working on it) 2001 GSX-R 1000 (SOLD!), 2002 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Blown Motor Rebuild)

You're going to have to move the tank around. When you get most of it out, you'll find there's always more in there. It's very annoying. I ended up getting most of the fuel out, then using a garden hose and washing the rest out (with pingel removed). Do this on a hot day and/or use an air compressor to get that water out fast!

Remember to do all this on a towel so you don't scratch any part of the tank and if you need to repair the plastic liner, now's a good time! Also, you probably want to change your spark plugs right about now since the tanks off... Check stuff out, replace the fuel lines (they're ridiculously inexpensive), and inspect!

Hope it helps

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
nturtenwald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 03:31 AM   #8
nturtenwald
Rookie

Motorcycle: 1994 49-State GSX-R 750 (SOLD), 2003 GSX-R 1000 (Daily), 2004 GSX-R 1000 (Stunt, Working on it) 2001 GSX-R 1000 (SOLD!), 2002 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Blown Motor Rebuild)

Also, after the tank was dried (all water/fuel gone) I sprayed A LOT of carb spray into the tank, used a rag attached to a rod, and got a lot of surface rust out of the tank. But I'm not sure of the condition of your tank so that's up to you!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:42 AM   #9
Stew600
Blowjobs........ for the ULTRA low-low price of $3.50

Motorcycle: '08 GSX-R600(STOLEN)

take it for a nice long ride!!!!
Stew600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
xetremex
Novice

Thanks guys, there was less gas than I though - some must have drained out while on the ground. I had tried using prime on the petcock but that didn't work. I also tried tipping it upside down but nothing really came out. Thus, I ended up removing the stock petcock and draining it through the petcock hole. I will inspect it over the next day or so for any surface rust but at first glance it appeared clean.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
nturtenwald
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew600 View Post
take it for a nice long ride!!!!
Eeeeeeeekkkk. I know you're kidding, but I would not recommend that at all. I've heard the stories where people ran out of gas (quite embarrassing if I do say so myself) and all the surface particles of rust clog the pingel/carbs. I always refill at ~80 miles on the odometer to avoid any problems. And I check my oil and chain condition when I'm filling up to ensure no breaks or burns
Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
Bobbychet
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xetremex View Post
Thanks guys, there was less gas than I though - some must have drained out while on the ground. I had tried using prime on the petcock but that didn't work. I also tried tipping it upside down but nothing really came out. Thus, I ended up removing the stock petcock and draining it through the petcock hole. I will inspect it over the next day or so for any surface rust but at first glance it appeared clean.
X
Keep alittle bit of gas for a cleaner
If I recall right, I had to open up the OEM petcock hole alitlle with a rat tail file so the Pingel screen would go in smoothly.
The Pingel screen is round compared to the oem oval one.
Bobbychet
Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
gman234k9
Squid

Motorcycle: 1988 gsxr 750

Close the cap and cover the petcock hole with tape while your waiting for the pingel. Any moisture at all with cause surface rust quick! Great advise to change the plugs and fuel lines while the tank is off.
gman234k9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in