Any Ideas, not starting, no dash lights : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > Water Cooled Gixxers

Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Looker 1100wp
Squid

Motorcycle: GSXR1100 93 Model
Unhappy Any Ideas, not starting, no dash lights

I turned the key to the on position and the dash lights went out after like 1 or 2 seconds, I got stuck in the middle of nowehere. No power, no dash lights, however I can turn the key around past the steering lock and the parkers turn on. I have a multimeter and wiring diagram.
The battery has 13 volts, the red wire going to the plug for the ignition has power to it, no fuses are blown (including the 30amp starter fuse), I have pulled the starter switch box appart and checked for continuity and they seem fine, couldn't see any corrosion in there anywhere. The battery is a little old as is the bike 75,000 km on it now but this is the first time I have ever lost power.
The strangest part is that there is power to the parkers from the ignition key, does anyone know if these ignitions last and are they serviceable? I really would like to know if anyone has had a similar fault and any further checks that I can make? As I'm not taking it to an auto electrician, it going to be something small I'm sure of it.
Looker 1100wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
cpeezygsxr600
Can't get it up

Motorcycle: 05 gsxr 600
Re: Any Ideas, not starting, no dash lights

ummm yeah today my bike had all my dash lights and my back lights work but the only thing that doesnt work is my high beems and head lights ... i even changed the bulbs and they still wont work can some one please help ???
cpeezygsxr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
redstain
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 1993 GSXR 1100

check the plug to the dash panel, and all of them really. those things fry out pretty easily. i had similar problems when i first got my bike. i ended up buying new connector plugs, and splicing the wires in. look for burn marks or melted plastic.
redstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
mdillon
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: 94 750

Grounds grounds and grounds. Ur multimeter prolly tests the hot wire fine because u ground it to the frame, making you think your wirings good. Replace your grounds, I bet u get juice back.
mdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #5
nturtenwald
Rookie

Motorcycle: 1994 49-State GSX-R 750 (SOLD), 2003 GSX-R 1000 (Daily), 2004 GSX-R 1000 (Stunt, Working on it) 2001 GSX-R 1000 (SOLD!), 2002 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Blown Motor Rebuild)

If the bikes been sitting for a while, check for gnawed wires under the tank. Rats tend to occupy the cozy spot above the carbs and under the tank and love to chew on bright cords in search of food. Or at least that's what happened to me... Otherwise, re-check fuse connection, "..." on all other posts as well with standard jumping procedures if the battery lost it while trying to start the bike up again too...
nturtenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Looker 1100wp
Squid

Cool I'll have a closer look at the earth wires, but the I had to leave the bike at my bro's and I can't get there till Saturday so if anyone has any other ideas on what it could be I'd approeciate it as I'd really like to ride it home on Saturday.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Bobbychet
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: Sold my Soul

I've had a similar problem with my bike. I pulled into a gas station to fuel up and went to take of and nothing, just dash lights. Turned out to be my battery . It read good volts but little or no amps. Replaced the battery and that was that.When these batterys go,they go without warning. Just thought you should try this first before taking things apart.
Bobbychet
Bobbychet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #8
Looker 1100wp
Squid

Yeah I had wondered about the battery, but I forgot to see if my forby could jump start it so ill try that too, thanks mate.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
utp216
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 93/95 GSXR 750

Walmart - $40
utp216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
Looker 1100wp
Squid

Smile Re: Any Ideas, not starting, no dash lights

Awesome, it was only the battery, hooked my forby up and powered it straight up. Thanks Bobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement