FRANKENGIXER... vol. I (crispics) : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > Oil Cooled Gixxers

Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

FRANKENGIXER... vol. I (crispics)

Well, I'm a noob on this site... but I rode my first GSXR 750 in Japan back in 1985, and I knew one day I would own one of those beasts. Well, as it turns out, nearly ten years later... I'd be chunking down $3050.00 at my local dealer for a slightly bunged-up '86 1100, as a segue from my second GS750E. (To be scanned from POLAROIDS later...)

Anyway... the original had the complete Supertrapp exhaust (FIRST thing I wanted to lose...) and had been dropped in a minor spill, and had some rough plastic. I was hangin' out at the dealer a lot, trying to squeeze more out of my GS, which was already pretty strong at that time... when the original '86 showed up one day... and before the day was done, I'd brought him down from $3500. Honestly, I didn't even care about the price... I just wanted the bike instantly.

...several years later...

Here it is, back in '97... at which time I'd had it for a number of years, and made a few "enhancements". I happened across BOTH this B&W photo WITH the list (almost the same time-frame... photo is earlier than complete list at that date) and decided to scan and post them as the first leg of my story. I'll try to pluck out more old pics and put them in this thread. The Frankengixer comes with several a tale of my own wonderment... this mating of "Godzilla with The FLY"! Later, I hope to post the NEXT major build list and equally sordid foray into bigger bore. Somewhere... I have the internals photos, I think...

Hope it finds a chord or two out there... it is inexplicably entrenched within my life experience... and continues, in slumber, just awaiting it's next rumble to back to life.

-crisp
crispone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Re: FRANKENGIXER... vol. I (crispics)

Here are a couple shots from around the time some friends were over and one guy looked at it and coined it the "Frankengixer". All patched up with mixed plastic and prone to grunt... it stuck.

More when I find it...

-crisp
Old 09-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

WOW! I found an OLD B&W ultra-wide shot at the OLD house!

That's my '84 supra in the background. I wound it out every drive in every gear for 227,000+ miles and sold it, still screaming! LOVED that car! (Ended up doing a couple more Soup's...)

Anyway... the memoirs continue...

-crisp
Old 09-03-2008, 01:24 AM   #4
awasson
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1985 GSXR 750, 1986 GSXR Limited, GSXR750RK (in restoration mode), 1973 GT-750 (no longer have, looking for another)

Love the first photo
That bike means business.

I see part of the speed treatment was adding some red/black plastics
awasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
bigbike-r
Rookie

Motorcycle: GsxR 7/12 TT-F1, Kawasaki gpx750r rat fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awasson View Post

I see part of the speed treatment was adding some red/black plastics
aaah i thought it was a red and black but too much power so he had it restricted with some blue an white
bigbike-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
GertRam
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 '87, GS 1000 '78, Triumph SuperIII '96, KTM GS 500 '87

@crispone: That headlight unit is very nice. What is it?
GertRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GertRam View Post
@crispone: That headlight unit is very nice. What is it?
The headlight has a simple plastic "bubble" cover on it in place of the "trim" piece that came originally. It was ON the bike when I picked it up, so I don't know what brand/source... but it is slightly tinted, and makes for a nice "naked nose" cover.

(I may take a look at it and see if there are any "markings" to identify it... I'll have to move a bunch of stuff to get in that corner of the garage sometime though...)

-crisp
Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

^^^ Ahhh... found a shot of it around '99? It's a 1255cc beast in this shot. APE "gorilla block" and Carrillo rods were added in this round of rebuild... (but DIDN'T replace with a stronger crank! DOH! ...finally "twisted" it or spun the mains so I parked it, and there it sits... in all it's internal mod glory... waiting for a fresh crank and perhaps some 40's from Mikuni in place of the 38's?)

This thing has torque to pull STUMPS... and will drag the bike off the line from a lumpy idle in most gears. (not recommended) Low RPM "throttle blurps" just TORQUE the rear wheel into goofy ass-out slides around town at low speed. I went EXTRA TALL in the gearing, even as a five speed... because the motor will PULL it, and while everyone else is SHIFTING... I just crack the throttle and let the motor do all the work. Can you say "LOOOONG LEGGGGED"?

-crisp
Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

AHA! Found THIS shot with some of my other iron a few years back. The '01 thou is now replaced with my '03... and the Frankengixer is still waiting for the Dr. to inject some life-giving spark back into it's able bones...

NOTE: The Gamma is nearly FINISHED! My 23 year dream project!

-crisp
Old 09-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Saw a post on RS Flatslides a few days ago... and dug mine out of the garage to see if they were crusty from the years of neglect. Rinsed them with some carb cleaner (outside only... and didn't really scrub them down yet...) but after removing the spiderwebs... they don't look TOO bad. I also dug out my JET BOX to reminisce about CARBS again a little... all this PC tuning stuff is just too "antiseptic" sometimes... and I MISS the tactility of playing with the old analog variety of metering that I fell in love with so many years ago!)

...anyway... the REVIVAL of Frankengixer looms on... (eventually...)

-crisp
Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbike-r View Post
aaah i thought it was a red and black but too much power so he had it restricted with some blue an white

ACTUALLY... (so as NOT to get mixed up in the "color=faster" controversy...) I have to TELL you guys... BOTH colors were making it SLOWER... so I took off ALL the plastic! (RAN LIKE A BULLET FROM A BARREL every time I twisted my grip...)

Honestly... even with the EXTRA tall gearing... I had to put the plastic (RED AND BLUE... and........) just to KEEP the damn thing from taking FLIGHT!

(Damn SONIC BOOMS were breaking glass in neighboring homes... so I HAD to slow it down.)

-crisp
Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #12
koolaid5
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1990 GSXR 1100 and 1983 Yamaha XJ Seca turned into a bobber, lowered with 16" apehangers and forward controls. Not riding either at the moment. They are still under construction.

nice looking bike.... keep us posted on the progress.
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
SNAKEYES
Supersport Racer

Motorcycle: 92' Gsx-R 750 built from the ground up.

I love it! DEDICATED! COmes to mind! Thats the same 01' I want that ya had there!
SNAKEYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #14
BallzFast
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: skinny women

if you get a mk 2 or 3 supra i still have a 1jzgtte with some goodies in my buddies shop.i was going to put it in my '87 mk3.
BallzFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallzFast View Post
if you get a mk 2 or 3 supra i still have a 1jzgtte with some goodies in my buddies shop.i was going to put it in my '87 mk3.
Actually...

...and I'd LOVE to take you up on your 1JZ how much?

Here's a couple from the drivers seat...

^^^ I know, I know... that last one is out of focus! (It was a cheap snap-camera and honestly... I really wasn't too focused on the shot myself at the moment...)

-crisp
Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #16
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKEYES View Post
I love it! DEDICATED! COmes to mind! Thats the same 01' I want that ya had there!
Thank you!

The '01 was an outstanding bike! It differed from the '03 in front end stability... seat comfort... and a little heavier steering. (Not a big deal in rural Ohio!)

Wind protection is better on my '03, and the handling improved... along with motor "spool-up" behavior. Throttle was not as light as the '03 either.

I did some minimal mods, and had Marc (FactoryPro) tune it between Rich Oliver and other's bikes at Mid-Ohio in '02. It was clean and crisp EVERYWHERE! (Only around 153 or so peak on a DJ, but ran great, none-the-less...)

It was REALLY HARD to let the '01 go... and looking at photos, it STILL hurts.

'03 has been great... and more powerful, with further mods... but I still miss the first year. That BLUE and WHITE! It was BEAUTIFUL!

-crisp
Old 09-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #17
JinVortex
Rookie

thats one clean supra.
JinVortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #18
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

^^^ MANY years ago... before most of the "meaningful mods" on the old horse... I went and shot some "wheelie photos" for a friend on his FZR1000. HIS shots turned out SPECTACULAR (Made large POSTERS and framed them...) but when I handed him the Nikon F3 w/ultra-wide lens and told him what to do... he DID get a couple shots of me, but alas... couldn't hold "still" enough to get a "crisp-one"! (PUN INTENDED!)

Anyway... here is one of the shots... (Still looking for the GREAT one of the FZR... I think he kept the original, negative, and has the poster on his WALL to this day.)

Here are the two of us, out at our local reservoir... where we had the road and day to ourselves. (Controlled conditions, you know...)

(Dude with FZR1000 was always PISSED that my BEATER would pull off on his NEW bike! It WAS a great ride... and one of the few that impressed me back in the day... but certainly, NOT a GIXER!)

-crisp
Old 09-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #19
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKEYES View Post

Well, I FOUND a better (sort of) shot of the '01! I LOVED this bike! (It was no Frankengixer... but really a great ride... and SO beautiful!)

I'd like to know how may GOLD YOSHIMURA CANS anyone has ever seen on one of these... heh heh heh!

-crisp
Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #20
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Here are a couple of two different tuning sessions. The BEAUTY of SUZUKI's (access to carbs, etc...) AND the quick-change mains in the RS Flatslides enable a "pop" the bands on the carbs, SLIP them out the side, remove ONE bowl sealing bolt on bottom, and use BROAD standard tipped screwdriver to slip them out and swap. Very slick! (And chances are... with the Flatslides... a FREQUENT activity until dialed-in... and even MORE frequent when bike is as "tweaked" as this one, at around 13.5:1 comp. running various fuel mixtures and requiring tuning JUST from variance in WEATHER conditions! Pretty tempermental, actually... but all part of the FUN!)

-crisp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement