engine rebuild : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 01-03 600 and 00-03 750

Old 07-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Crafty
Novice

Motorcycle: GSXR750 '00
engine rebuild

the motor in my y2k GSXR750Y seazed due to a faulty bearing. They told me the bearing seazed to the no one journal. Now i've been told by the guys that's doing the rebuilding that 1st thing to order is the crank. I work for suzuki so it is a lot cheaper to replace. Obviously i need to replace the conrod as well. I've told them to also order new piston rings.

What else should i considder to replace while the motor is open?
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
ekjesse
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2001 750
Re: engine rebuild

Hey there Crafty, sorry to hear of your engine failure. I am attaching a link to the thread that I posted in regards to a complete rebuild of my K1 750. I used K1 & K2 parts....let me know if you have any Q's.

Best

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174618
ekjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
fun2fly
Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjesse View Post
Hey there Crafty, sorry to hear of your engine failure. I am attaching a link to the thread that I posted in regards to a complete rebuild of my K1 750. I used K1 & K2 parts....let me know if you have any Q's.

Best

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174618

Wow, I use to have an 01 750 and just read the entire post. My motor was very good to me, never needed anything other than oil changes from new. Nothing to add really but gotta give you major props for a fine, quality post.
fun2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
ekjesse
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2fly View Post
Wow, I use to have an 01 750 and just read the entire post. My motor was very good to me, never needed anything other than oil changes from new. Nothing to add really but gotta give you major props for a fine, quality post.
Thanks...for all to benefit

Best
Old 07-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
talgies
Novice

hey mate, i got a bike exactly like yours, and im just wondering... did it give any type of noise you could notice before the bearing went out, any type of ticking noise??

the reason i ask is because mine has such a noise, and there have been theories that it could possibly be such a bearing..

any help would be appreciated.. good luck on the rebuild
talgies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
ekjesse
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by talgies View Post
hey mate, i got a bike exactly like yours, and I'm just wondering... did it give any type of noise you could notice before the bearing went out, any type of ticking noise??

the reason i ask is because mine has such a noise, and there have been theories that it could possibly be such a bearing..

any help would be appreciated.. good luck on the rebuild
Yes - there was a kind of ticking coming from the lower end - then got louder with more of a clanking sound - then it seized.

1500 miles since the rebuild - bike is still running strong with no problems to report except having to manually adjust my cam tensioner.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
talgies
Novice

Ok... everyone tosses this "engine rebuild" around like its something that can be done easily and cheaply...

i really hate to thread jack, but how much am i looking to spend if i get someone to do the rebulild? i already know the parts are going to cost close to a flipping grand, is it really worth it to rebuild the motor, or should i just buy a whole new one?
talgies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
ekjesse
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by talgies View Post
Ok... everyone tosses this "engine rebuild" around like its something that can be done easily and cheaply...

i really hate to thread jack, but how much am i looking to spend if i get someone to do the rebuild? i already know the parts are going to cost close to a flipping grand, is it really worth it to rebuild the motor, or should i just buy a whole new one?
Hey Talgies - you should consider decaf.... you seem to be all over the place with your posts - wants and desires. I've tried to assist you, as has boost, with the proper fixes and we've given you the best possible advice.

Now - as far as "This Engine Rebuild" - Had you completely read the entire thread - I explain that there are two motors involved - my original (which I have rebuilt and runs fine) and the "Used One" which blew up after one week in the hull.

If you have the time - it will take you about 24 Hrs - if you work, like most of us, a bit longer depending on your schedule and other duties.

The second hand motor ran 250.00 US and parts @700.00 US plus your labor. If you do not have the tools, knowledge or patients to do the job - then I recommend to you that you sell it and get a new one (whole bike) cause you'll just mess this up and get more pissed off and kill someone.

I'd be happy to assist you in you efforts, but don't trash my thread - It's helped many, and with yours, if you choose to do so, will help many others.

Be well.