how do you adjust you chain : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 05-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Romulus22
Bring it fellas

Motorcycle: honda spree
how do you adjust you chain

do you adjust your chain while on a rear stand or do you adjust it while on its side stand?

does the chain have
more-
less-
same-
amount of slack on the rear stand versus its side stand

this isnt a question on how to adjust my chain i just want to know how everyone adjust theirs. i'm trying to find out something so keep it simple.
Romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
black_k4six
Rookie

Motorcycle: 04 gsx-R 600
Re: how do you adjust you chain

i make someone sit on it while in gear and hold it upright.
black_k4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
jjbridw
Rookie

I adjust while on side stand. Not sure the difference between side stand and rear stand as I've never used the rear stand.
jjbridw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Beaker
Pathalogical Poser

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R 600

I adjust mine while on the rear stand, I usually give it a little more slack than the manual says to (I'm a fatass at 210lbs so it gets a decent amount tighter when I place my ample behind upon the seat).
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
Rydogg420
Rookie

Motorcycle: L1 750 Black/Silver & K2 GSX-R600 Blue/White (the fastest color)

I use my rear stand too, you do want some one on it while you do this though.. and for some reason when i adjust my chain with the adjusters its fine untill i tighten the axle nut then it gets way too tight, so i need to keep twice the slack on the chain then when i tighten the axle nut its just where it needs to be.. dose anyone else have this problem??????
Rydogg420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
Kyle_GSXR
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydogg420 View Post
I use my rear stand too, you do want some one on it while you do this though.. and for some reason when i adjust my chain with the adjusters its fine untill i tighten the axle nut then it gets way too tight, so i need to keep twice the slack on the chain then when i tighten the axle nut its just where it needs to be.. dose anyone else have this problem??????
i noticed this today when i adjusted my chain
Kyle_GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Beaker
Pathalogical Poser

yep, that happens to all of them, that is because as you tighten the axle, it squeezes the arms of the swingarm together. watch it as you tighten it, you can see them getting pulled together. What I do for most people when i adjust their chains, I get the chain slack to where I can lift it up to where I can just barely make it touch the swingarm while it is on the rear stand, axle loose, no passenger. Then when I tighten the axle nut it tightens it up a little and it is usually about perfect.

Don't be a LOS-R get your GSX-

K6 600:
Smoked: Puig screen, blinkers, Hotbodies plastics
Woodcraft: Engine Cover, Clutch protector, Sliders
Micron GP, Harris grips, Black STEALTH -1/+2 520EK MVXZ, Galfer SS Brake lines, CRG Roll-a-Click, GP shift, SET disable, Pirelli Diablo Rosso front/rear.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
black_k4six
Rookie

Motorcycle: 04 gsx-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptk View Post
yep, that happens to all of them, that is because as you tighten the axle, it squeezes the arms of the swingarm together. watch it as you tighten it, you can see them getting pulled together. What I do for most people when i adjust their chains, I get the chain slack to where I can lift it up to where I can just barely make it touch the swingarm while it is on the rear stand, axle loose, no passenger. Then when I tighten the axle nut it tightens it up a little and it is usually about perfect.
+1, mine tightens up to when i tighten the axle nut
black_k4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:13 AM   #9
ant...
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSX-R600 K1

+1 Me too

Thanks for that tip cryptk, i will give that a try. Nomally i go trial & error.
ant... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:46 AM   #10
Beaker
Pathalogical Poser

np, I figured that out through trial and error, and it has worked ever since, I just paid attention to how loose it had to be for it to be correct after it was tightened.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 AM   #11
spike52
"Will donate money to GDC for the cheap bastards who won't.. "

Motorcycle: 2011 1K....'04 Kawi 636 trackwhore

3 minute chain adjustment

-Bike on rearstand..
-Adjust chain to spec.
-Put a screwdriver between the chain & sprocket.
-Slowly spin the wheel until the screwdriver lodges between the chain/sprocket, leaving no slack.
-Tighten axle nut.
spike52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #12
ant...
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSX-R600 K1

So the screwdriver get wedged making the chain tight, so when you tighten the main nut it cant get any tighter?
ant... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:14 AM   #13
Carnage
Full of teh Swag

Motorcycle: ALL SOLD:Racebike included

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike52 View Post

-Bike on rearstand..
-Adjust chain to spec.
-Slowly spin the wheel until the screwdriver lodges between the chain/sprocket, leaving no slack.
-Tighten axle nut.
Sounds like a good plan. Never thought of that.

I'm a rear stand user myself.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #14
jjbridw
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydogg420 View Post
Reverse your rear axle so the nut is on the right side. That way when you tighten, you push against the adjustment bolts and it doesn't allow it to move back any.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #15
semi750
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbridw View Post
Reverse your rear axle so the nut is on the right side. That way when you tighten, you push against the adjustment bolts and it doesn't allow it to move back any.
I cant see how i could do that on my K6 750, the RHS of the axle is up against the adjuster to stop it moving, and the LHS and RHS are different, so it wouldnt work. Cant swap them either. I just do the screwdriver thing, but i try and find something a little thicker than a screwdriver to use, makes it a little easier.

A question though- who uses a socket/ torque wrench to tighten their axle nut? I dont, because i dont have a socket big enough, i just use the spanner in my toolkit.
semi750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #16
jjbridw
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi750 View Post
I cant see how i could do that on my K6 750, the RHS of the axle is up against the adjuster to stop it moving, and the LHS and RHS are different, so it wouldnt work. Cant swap them either. I just do the screwdriver thing, but i try and find something a little thicker than a screwdriver to use, makes it a little easier.

A question though- who uses a socket/ torque wrench to tighten their axle nut? I dont, because i dont have a socket big enough, i just use the spanner in my toolkit.
Not sure what you mean that you can't. From my understanding, the K6 and 7 are pretty much the same. My brother has a K7 750 and we reversed his this weekend for this very reason. There is a spacer on each side with a flat edge for resting against the bolts so how is your axle "up against the adjuster"? You just swap everything over and you're done. Trust me, it is very easy to do and makes chain adjustments a breeze.

As for your second question, I do use a socket and torque wrench. They can be easily obtained from Autozone for relatively cheap.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #17
semi750
Novice

my k6 has a kinda a round end to the axle on the RHS, with 2 ends flattened out so it sits against the adjuster. The RHS has a nut on it
Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #18
njracer
Crusty Old Admin

Motorcycle: njracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike52 View Post

-Bike on rearstand..
-Adjust chain to spec.
-Tighten axle nut.
I was going to tell them the same thing.

I will add one more thing......the lower run of the chain should be smiling at you. Not a BIG smile but a little smile. A loose chain is WAY better than a chain too tight.
njracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
jjbridw
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi750 View Post
my k6 has a kinda a round end to the axle on the RHS, with 2 ends flattened out so it sits against the adjuster. The RHS has a nut on it

The axle does NOT rest against the adjuster. The flat ends mate up with the spacers, large aluminum D shaped part, which rest against the adjuster bolts. Maybe we're not on the same page here. There are a total of 9 parts to the assembly.

1 axle
1 axle nut
1 cotter pin
2 "D shaped aluminum spacers"
2 adjustment bolts
2 jam nuts

The "D" shaped spacer is what actually contacts the adjustment bolts, not the axle itself. The axle can be reversed so the nut is on the right. When done, this will alow you to tighten the axle nut after adjusting the chain w/out having the chain tighten. With the nut on the left, when you tighten, it pulls slightly back, therefore tensioning your chain a bit more. You can compensate for this using the screwdriver method. With the nut on the right, when you tighten it will push forward against the adjustment bolts, which does not allow any movement, therefore your chain slack will remain where you set it.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
semi750
Novice

pic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement