Scorpio alarm installation. : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 06-07 GSX-R600/750

Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
faceman
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 08 GSX-R750 Blk/Blk
Scorpio alarm installation.

I want to know if anyone has installed a scorpio alarm without using one the oppsional (sp) harness for your bike. I ask this because I called scorpio and the tech said that I did not need it because the alarm comes with a universal harness. I just want to get everyone's oppinion.
faceman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
bokone
Novice

Motorcycle: K6 600
Re: Scorpio alarm installation.

Well, you certainly can just use the universal harness. It uses those crimp-lock connectors. But for $20, the bike specific version is the way to go. You don't need a wiring diagram or any particular knowledge other than finding the OEM plastic connector (it's in the tail section). Easy install. One thing to note: if you get the optional perimeter sensor, it's NOT water proof.
bokone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
Rkhard
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R 750

the bike spesific harness is the way to go, plug and play.. but the universal will work you just have to find the right wires and do a good job hooking things up/.....
Rkhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
faceman
Back Marker

Thats what I wanted to know, because I think when the dealer ordered it I don't think the harness was ordered. The crimp thing is a t-spice. But the plug and play would be a whole lot easier.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
squishlax
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R600 Blue/Black

order the harness, those crimp things are shit, just leaves one more open spot for your connections to corrode at...
squishlax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Jayknight
Rookie

if you have any electrical knowledge then tracing down electrical wires and testing is simple. I solder all my wires. its easy.
Jayknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
squishlax
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R600 Blue/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayknight View Post
if you have any electrical knowledge then tracing down electrical wires and testing is simple. I solder all my wires. its easy.
as i do mine when necessary to cut and i use shrink tubing over any connection points too - it's what i did when i installed my fender eliminator, cause i couldnt find a harness for the license plate lite and said eff it and cut the wires..
but i still believe if you can avoid any cutting and splicing, keeping things the way they were from the factory, then do it.. just my opinion ..
squishlax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Lean-wit-it
Back Marker

Motorcycle: K6 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokone View Post
Well, you certainly can just use the universal harness. It uses those crimp-lock connectors. But for $20, the bike specific version is the way to go. You don't need a wiring diagram or any particular knowledge other than finding the OEM plastic connector (it's in the tail section). Easy install. One thing to note: if you get the optional perimeter sensor, it's NOT water proof.
WHAT!!!
I did not know that.
That explains why it stopped working.
Lean-wit-it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
metal621
Back Marker

Motorcycle: K6 GSXR 600

i soldered mine on. but then i have a fair bit of experience with electronics and soldering. and have spent more time than i'd like to share looking at the wiring diagram of the bike.
that "universal" harness is crap, though. go ahead and get the bike specific harness, unless you don't mind doing some soldering.
metal621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
V2rider
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR750 on the way

+1 on the specific harness. Made my hookup 10 minutes
V2rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
bokone
Novice

Motorcycle: K6 600

Hey Lean-wit-it. After all the info Scorpio gives about the main unit being encapsulated, water proof and even submersible to 10', they make the perimeter sensor to not get wet!? And it doesn't say that in the directions ANYWHERE. I called them after mine started acting up, and they told me this. I ended up shielding the thing with a plastic bag taped across it. Call them and get it replaced. Good luck
bokone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #12
Lean-wit-it
Back Marker

Motorcycle: K6 750

Quote:
Hey Lean-wit-it. After all the info Scorpio gives about the main unit being encapsulated, water proof and even submersible to 10', they make the perimeter sensor to not get wet!? And it doesn't say that in the directions ANYWHERE. I called them after mine started acting up, and they told me this. I ended up shielding the thing with a plastic bag taped across it. Call them and get it replaced. Good luck
I am gonna call them Friday. That is BS
Lean-wit-it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #13
Wicked_Illusion
Novice

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:

What did your alarm do that made you realize the perimeter sensor is not waterproof??

All of a sudden after a heavy rain the other day my alarm chirps as if someone is getting too close to it but no one is near it....!
Wicked_Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
00rngr
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 06600Gsxr

probably stopped working and didnt guard the perimeter of the bike

but do i know
00rngr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
dsmdc5
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 600

i would go with the harness
dsmdc5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #16
Wicked_Illusion
Novice

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600

00rngr: I was asking if it chirped randomly or anything like mine did. Why did you even post if you were just going to be an ass?

In MY case the perimeter sensor still works... it acts as it should if it's enabled and I go near it, but yet it chirps randomly when no one is near it sometimes also since the day it rained. I prolly should have mentioned that before.

Anyway, peace.

dsmdc5, I'll check it when I get out of work, thank you.

Last edited by Wicked_Illusion; 05-19-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Wicked_Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #17
V2rider
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR750 on the way

Send it to Scorpio and tell them its malfunctioning. Maybe they send you a new one.
V2rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #18
crackpantspaintr
Rookie

Motorcycle: 07 GSX-R600

pay the 20 bucks its soooo easy its not even funny it seriously took me 10 minutes to throw it in my bike....i think it took me longer to take the tail off my bike than putting it in the bike.
crackpantspaintr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #19
flyboy1987
Back Marker

Thats balls. The perimeter sensor isnt waterproof? WTF is that all about! It sounds like Scorpio was slacking bigtime when they did this. Does anyone know if it still works properly if you put a bag over it? I plan on buying the sr-i900 and I dont want my perimeter sensor screwing up on me.

Anyone know of a location somewhere where its not likely to get wet? where did everyone put theres?
flyboy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #20
faceman
Back Marker

I just ordered the harness and it should be here in 3-5 days. Good thing I'm on vaction so that I can be here when it comes. Also where did everyone put their perimeter sensor, because the I think the instructions say put it on the battery facing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in